Puffs of Blue Smoke - 2k mi into HM Oil Interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2008 Mazda CX-9 has just started to have an occasianal puff of BLUE smoke at start up. This seems to occur after sitting over night. I'm 2k miles in to this OCI of Maxlife Full Synthetic 5w30. I just came off of a stellar OCI of PUP 5w20. (See attached UOA)

Any concern? Your comments and suggestions are aopreciated. Thank you!

20190522_200931.jpg

Why the switch? A puff of smoke at startup is nothing to worry about. I could be stem seals or valve guides either way it will use minimal oil and last a long time.

I have a 18' charger Scat Pack and run the "srt" pennzoil 0w40 oil. On occasion I will get a puff of blue smoke just on hot starts only and not every-time. It has 12k miles and I've only noticed it 3 times or so. It also has a catch can installed. Doesn't bother me though just find it odd it doesn't do it all the time....

Originally Posted by SGT392
I have a 18' charger Scat Pack and run the "srt" pennzoil 0w40 oil. On occasion I will get a puff of blue smoke just on hot starts only and not every-time. It has 12k miles and I've only noticed it 3 times or so. It also has a catch can installed. Doesn't bother me though just find it odd it doesn't do it all the time....

Are you making sure the CC is emptied on time?

My Hellcat had some smoke at startup ossasionally (usually hot startup) during the break in period and used about 1qt of oil during first 2,200 miles. Now at 9,300 miles and hasn't used any oil since first oil change at 2,200 miles. Thought smoke was related to oil consumption early on? I remote start when I leave work and haven't seen any smoke for a while.

No oil catch can installed (yet).

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mbacfp
My Hellcat had some smoke at startup ossasionally (usually hot startup) during the break in period and used about 1qt of oil during first 2,200 miles. Now at 9,300 miles and hasn't used any oil since first oil change at 2,200 miles. Thought smoke was related to oil consumption early on? I remote start when I leave work and haven't seen any smoke for a while.

No oil catch can installed (yet).

Yea OP's car is probably just breaking in too, lol.

That is kind of odd. I would switch back to what didn't smoke. It's too young for that.

A "strange" batch of gasoline can cause a brief puff of blue on startup.

If it does it once on rare occasions, don't worry about it.

Just watch oil consumption and take note of any trends.

No new vehicle is supposed to puff blue smoke at startup. Whatever oil came in the Hellcat at the factory, don't use.
I'd be curious as to what brand and viscosity that is. Glad to read here that the smoke has ceased.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
No new vehicle is supposed to puff blue smoke at startup. Whatever oil came in the Hellcat at the factory, don't use.
I'd be curious as to what brand and viscosity that is. Glad to read here that the smoke has ceased.

PUP 0W-40

PUP 0W-40

Thanks. Glad I bought Castrol 0W40 instead.

Wait - it is possible Fiat-Chrysler put an additive in that oil at the factory. Many manufacturers do that nowadays. So I suppose I won't give PUP 0W40 a failing grade, without knowing the truth first. It's possible an additive to the oil created the blue smoke.

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong you're stating the sample is the prior oil, and the blue smoke at startup you're experiencing is post that sample, with a thicker high mileage oil?

Blue smoke at startup after an overnight sit combined with noticeable oil consumption is a symptom of bad valve seals. I don't see a lot of makeup oil over the prior 5k OCI in the sample, so I'm assuming that is minimal smoke. Thicker high mileage oil with seal conditioners should lessen, not cause blue smoke. So the oil should not be the reason. I would try replacing the PCV valve. They can cause blue smoke if they fail. Then watch to see if the problem goes away with time.

Originally Posted by LeakySeals
Correct me if I'm wrong you're stating the sample is the prior oil, and the blue smoke at startup you're experiencing is post that sample, with a thicker high mileage oil?

...I would try replacing the PCV valve.

Yes, that's correct. The current fill is 5w30 Maxlife Full Synthetic.

I'll try changing the PCV valve since I know it's original and vehicle has 121k miles on it.

PUP 0W-40

Thanks. Glad I bought Castrol 0W40 instead.

Wait - it is possible Fiat-Chrysler put an additive in that oil at the factory. Many manufacturers do that nowadays. So I suppose I won't give PUP 0W40 a failing grade, without knowing the truth first. It's possible an additive to the oil created the blue smoke.

I think UOAs have shown PUP 0w-40 (unless additive isn't showing up on UOA?). The owners manual states possible oil consumption throughout first OCI...though nothing on occasional puff of smoke.

Originally Posted by oldhp

Yes I've check it three times in 2,000 miles or so and it always has a little in the bottom nowhere near full though.

Originally Posted by oldhp

Yes I've check it three times in 2,000 miles or so and it always has a little in the bottom nowhere near full though.

I ran a catch can for awhile, would catch about 3-4 oz per 5K. After awhile it would catch less and less....I didn't notice the fine mesh screen in the lid and it was clogged.....restricted my PCV system.

Just something to keep an eye on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back