Blades only lasting one season...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased my first lawn mower about a year ago. It is a Honda self propelled model with a 21" deck. I recently noticed when rising off the mower after use that the blades were developing holes on the bottom blade (2 blade system) on either side. I noticed the holes getting larger after each use, and last week when mowing the mower started vibrating and not cutting like it used to.

I never mow over roots or anything that would damage the blades, so I find it odd that they would be so worn after only one year of use. I went ahead and replaced the blades with another set of Honda OEM blades and did the first oil change. I used Mobil 1 10w30.

My question is, is it typical to have to replaced blades after only 1 year? Maybe the 2 blade system on these just use thinner blades so they wear out sooner? At any rate, I can live with $27 once a year for new blades, I just thought they would have a bit more life.

Pics please. I'm on year 7 of my HRR217 and just normal sharpening.

I just replaced the wheels...a Honda thing I guess.

Tig would be proud!

Chalk it up as a defective lot. May even be a service bulletin on it somewhere. Does your manual paperwork offer a telephone number or email address to call?
I assume you still have the year-old receipt.

Originally Posted by gregk24
Maybe the 2 blade system on these just use thinner blades so they wear out sooner?

That would be my guess, but it's only a guess as I don't know anything about a 2 blade mower. Even with the extended mowing season we have in FL, blades (usually) last longer than one season.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
How large of a area are you mowing? If it's larger than your normal 1/4 acre lot....Your asking a lot out of a push mower.

Asking even more from the dude behind the mower.

I wish my blades would even last 1 year, much less without sharpening. I'm lucky to get 3 months, sharpen, then 3 more months before they're shot. Then again, I'm using a 52" zero-turn Hustler that does double duty. 1 lot is 1 acre, the other is almost 2 acres. Almost $50 for a new set. Usually 3 sets in 2 years. Mowing is expensive...

4-years and still going on the original set that came with my HRX217VKA. Heavy use and all sorts of terrain.
Although I must admit, they're on their last leg this season. lol

Last edited:
Originally Posted by gregk24
Maybe the 2 blade system on these just use thinner blades so they wear out sooner?

I have an older Honda that came with a single blade, then upgraded to 2-blade. The blades are the same thickness for both designs but shaped differently. I usually get at least 5 years of mowing a 1/3 acre lot before I change the blades (and I dont pick up sticks before mowing...just need to sharpen once or twice each year). I therefore suspect your blade had a flaw that caused the failure. Hopefully the new blade lasts longer.

Last edited:
I have a .5 acre lot that I mow with a Honda. 1st set of blades was this year. Bought the mover in 2014. Either you are mowing into some kind of sand, or your blade is defective. See how the new one works this season.

Something like that … I just got new dual blades from Sears … Husqvarna packaging = but had run and sharpened those since 2014 … we'll see how the sharpening and balancing rotation goes …

Grass contains abrasive particles, some grasses have more. Silica is common in the structure. Blades are heat treated for longer wear. I suspect yours were not heat treated.

My riding mower mulching blades only have the cutting edge heat treated and they will wear thru at the lift portion. Have to be careful sharping to not over heat and change the heat treat.

Rod

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
Grass contains abrasive particles, some grasses have more. Silica is common in the structure. Blades are heat treated for longer wear. I suspect yours were not heat treated.

My riding mower mulching blades only have the cutting edge heat treated and they will wear thru at the lift portion. Have to be careful sharping to not over heat and change the heat treat.

Rod

Apparently Florida soil is very sandy and I suspect the blades are getting sandblasted?:

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-xpm-1993-12-03-9312010365-story.html

Last edited:
Three inch setting is a low setting here in FL. 3.5 to 4 inch is a more standard setting. I suspect that sand is causing the problem and with unhardened blades I can understand the problem. Ed

If the area around the hole is suspiciously free of rust and grass and appears to show fresh steel with matte finish, then sandblasting may be the cause of the erosion.

What else could make a hole?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back