Odometer Broke But Speedometer Runs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I went to have my safety inspect done last week and found my odometer has stopped working. I always check it when scheduling my OCI and it was fine just a few months ago. I used to reset it after filling up the tank to gauge my fuel mileage and I'm wondering if that caused something to snap inside. FYI, my Lesabre is a 1999 and does not have digital odometer. Does anyone know if this is set up like some other 1990's cars I've seen people on youtube demonstrate repairs for? On some vehicles, it looks like their is a plastic gear (crappy quality plastic gear apparently) and this gear is part of a plastic gear set that is turned as the speedometer runs so that the odometer registers in tandem with it. I am going to need this repaired before the inspection is approved and for obvious need for mileage recording. I know the original owner and I'm absolutely sure that it was never tampered with. For what little I have found online, it looks like the dash panels come off to allow the removal of the dash cluster and then you either replace the cluster or you repair this mystical gear set. If anyone has any experience with this on this generation of GM cars (W Body and older), share anything you believe may be helpful. Sigh.....Sure wish I was going to spend money on something more fun than this but such is life.

I sure agree, but in Ontario, they won't certify the car for its inspection until the Odometer is functioning again. I should also note that the trip odometer and overall mileage recorder are broken.

Your login name suits your car very well now
laugh.gif
. Sorry, I couldn't pass on that one.. hopefully someone on the forum has some information for you which is more useful than this post.

How will they even know it's non-op in the inspection bay?
Give them the #s (or let them witness themselves) & hopefully it will break down catastrophically before the next inspection.
Glass half-full optimism.

I have a similar issue with my '02 Ford explorer. My speedometer works all the time, but the odometer only reads out when it feels like it. The guy at the inspection station tried to fail me for it,but I convinced him the safety part is knowing how fast your going , not how many miles are on the vehicle. The acutal mileage is recorded in the cars computer and it can be retrieved if you have the scanner tool . It's only an issue to me when trying to gauge how many miles until the next oil change. Been like that for years, last reading was 205,000 miles a few months ago. So I must be a good guesser.,,,

Originally Posted by LowMilesLesabre
in Ontario, they won't certify the car for its inspection until the Odometer is functioning again.

Do they take the car on a road test? Otherwise how would they know?

Originally Posted by BigCahuna
The acutal mileage is recorded in the cars computer and it can be retrieved if you have the scanner tool .

This is what proves your mileage, unless the body control module (or whatever it is called by GM) is changed out too. Can't the inspection station see the mileage from the OBDII port and also see that the speedometer works? If so, I would wonder out loud, "so what is the problem" and let them explain. Maybe this inspection station doesn't have the proper tools to see that and are cheaping out?

Originally Posted by LowMilesLesabre
I sure agree, but in Ontario, they won't certify the car for its inspection until the Odometer is functioning again. I should also note that the trip odometer and overall mileage recorder are broken.

Move to another Province, or come to Michigan. Just don't panic over all the pot-holed roads.
Or, you may find out the pot hole sizes here, may suddenly make your odometer work again.

I got a replacement gear for a Saturn from odometergears.com once. They also had good instructions for doing the job on that car.

They list a gear for Buicks, but don't specifically say it will fit a 1999. If you can find the tooth count and gear size, maybe they could help you find one that fits.

There is always a rule book for car safety / emissions inspections, and it will be available to the public.

If the inspection includes driving on a dyno to check tailpipe emissions at speed, obviously they could see if the odometer works or not.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BigCahuna
I have a similar issue with my '02 Ford explorer. My speedometer works all the time, but the odometer only reads out when it feels like it. The guy at the inspection station tried to fail me for it,but I convinced him the safety part is knowing how fast your going , not how many miles are on the vehicle. The acutal mileage is recorded in the cars computer and it can be retrieved if you have the scanner tool . It's only an issue to me when trying to gauge how many miles until the next oil change. Been like that for years, last reading was 205,000 miles a few months ago. So I must be a good guesser.,,,

Ford had an issue with these in the early 2000s. I took the one in my 2000 Mustang to an auto electronics shop and $200 later it was fixed.

My experience with older rear wheel drive car speedometers/odometers says they generally have a cable driven off the transmission output shaft which is consistent with vehicle speed. The bottom end of the cable has a plastic worm gear that meshes with a worm on the output shaft. The top end inserts into the speedometer which is connected to the odometer and geared appropriately for the gauge. I would check the worm gear on the bottom end first. If your vehicle is front wheel drive, which it probably is, the setup may be similar but I have no idea where the cable plugs into the transmission. I just hope this information is helpful, and I hope you don't have to take apart the dash. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back