2005 Toyota Highlander humming noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The front drivers side of this vehicle has a hum to it. The faster I go, the louder the hum is. The noise doesn't go away if the vehicle is in neutral. It doesn't matter if I'm turning or tracking straight. It's a consistent hum.

Is there a way to diagnosis if it's a wheel bearing or something else.

89k, 3.3L V6

Thoughts?

Last edited:
You can check Youtube on how to check those parts (wheel bearing and CV joint) ???

It is somewhat universal regardless of cars make and model.

It is relatively easy to do with a floor jack.

Last edited:
Expressway On and Off ramps are a good place to test a Wheel Bearing. Pick one that has sharp left and right turns. If the humming sound goes away while turning right.....your right bearing is bad.

Wheel bearings can sometimes make noise but have no play and vice versa.

To rule out a possible bad tire, rotate it to the back and see if the sound moves.

Originally Posted by mclasser

To rule out a possible bad tire, rotate it to the back and see if the sound moves.

Okay, I did just that and the noise was the same. I put the vehicle on jack stands and spun both the front wheels. The one in question was much louder...

I'm heading over to rockauto right now...

Originally Posted by dja4260
Originally Posted by mclasser

Okay, I did just that and the noise was the same. I put the vehicle on jack stands and spun both the front wheels. The one in question was much louder...

I'm heading over to rockauto right now...

Here are some useful ways to test:

Grab the tire at 3 and 9 and rock. See if there's play. If so, could be tie rod or bearings.

Grab tire at 6 and 12 and rock. if play, could be ball joints and bearings.

Spin wheel with one hand, grasp a coil of the spring. bad bearing will pass on vibration most of the time.

After some city driving, get out and feel wheel hub(s). A hot one can indicate a bad bearing or stuck caliper bolts/piston (dragging brakes).

Between all these test, you can get a pretty good idea of problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back