2017+ Audi A4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't have one, but should be a solid car overall. The key is maintenance. Keep the DSG serviced at the appropriate interval, and use the proper spec oil changed at the appropriate intervals. I believe the spec is VW 502.00. Are you looking for a manual or auto?

Drove several when I was shopping last year and they were, to me, about the perfect car. In the end I opted for a new VW over a used Audi but if you can afford one I can't see any reason not to pull the trigger. I would want either new or very low mileage and documented maintenance to get the most enjoyment out of it.

One 2016 I drove had 32k on it, I started digging around in the records and discovered the lease owner had tired of maintenance and it had 18k on it's oil when turned in. I drove wonderfully but who knows if they managed to sludge something up that would come back to bite you later.

I have one and love it.
I have the quattro version and it handles great, has great power and fuel economy and is so quiet at highway speeds you'll be doing 90 and not even realize it. I had to put a warning to pop up at 80 mph to help avoid tickets.
It unlike some of the 2.0t engines in the past has never used any oil at all whether it be on 5k or 10k oci. I have 60k miles on mine and only issue was a water pump gasket leak that was taken care of under warranty at 49k miles.

Last edited:
I'm not sure of the Audi warranty but I got my wife a 2017 VW Passat with 4,900 miles on it a couple months ago any the warranty was better and longer than if I bought a 2019 brand new . I'm guessing the Audi's have a similar warranty .

Originally Posted by PPWarrior
They are endless money pits.

Prove it.
36.gif

I'm looking at a DSG model, most all the examples I've seen in the area have been DSG. 40k dsg service is a bit of a bummer, but I'm used to it on my old A3. I'll probably end up buying what's necessary to do it myself if I buy this one. I'd like to find a used one in good condition with good maintenance records, then keep it about 8-10 years.

Originally Posted by lawrencerd
I'm looking at a DSG model, most all the examples I've seen in the area have been DSG. 40k dsg service is a bit of a bummer, but I'm used to it on my old A3. I'll probably end up buying what's necessary to do it myself if I buy this one. I'd like to find a used one in good condition with good maintenance records, then keep it about 8-10 years.
Save yourself the trouble and get a manual if you want to keep it long term.

VW = manual ONLY!
27.gif

Originally Posted by lawrencerd

I did my own DSG service at 40k myself. The hardest part of the whole procedure was getting the car up on the jack stands and back down

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-allroad-b9-platform-discussion-216/diy-dsg-fluid-change-2945427/

Last edited:
Friend had an A4 2012 turbo. Great car when new, always garaged and well maintained. Then the warranty ran out and the bills added up quickly. All sorts of electrical,turbo, suspension, problems beyond normal maintenance. Sold it for a pittance. She now rides a bike to work, shopping, etc and rides UBER for anything longer. She may never buy another car after that experience. Former car was a Honda Civic.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted by Skippy722
Originally Posted by PPWarrior
They are endless money pits.

Prove it.
36.gif

Proof ? lol

my sister buys A4s & I guess now an A5.
Lives in fear of warranty expiring.
Blown crankcase breather, Touch Screen malfunction,
racking body/vibrations (on the convertible). Top motors non-function. (resort to manual operation)
She does zero maint. herself, so unless you service it yourself or know a reasonable European shop,
ditch it at warranty expiration.
Money Pit. Better off with an M car. (cool fast Money Pit)

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
Get the Arteon instead.

A 2019 GLI would be a nice option too, especially with the long bumper to bumper warranty that's included.

Originally Posted by user52165
Friend had an A4 2012 turbo. Great car when new, always garaged and well maintained. Then the warranty ran out and the bills added up quickly. All sorts of electrical,turbo, suspension, problems beyond normal maintenance. Sold it for a pittance. She now rides a bike to work, shopping, etc and rides UBER for anything longer. She may never buy another car after that experience. Former car was a Honda Civic.

LOL , Audi was so bad she swore off driving completely. Now I have heard it all . I think they have pills for that .

My wife has a 2015 A4 quattro she bought new. It has a 6 speed manual and is a very good road car for the size.

The car hasn't had a single problem yet but it has just under 60K on it. My GTI has a very similar engine and has had a few issues I repaired on my own, but it has 164K miles.

Your only suppose to want a Toyota around here unless your a cardiothoracic surgeon, than you have a green light to buy a Lexus.

I should bring up that my wife puts a ton of business travel miles on my GTI not wanting to rack them up on her A4. I prefer the cloth seats in my GTI over the leather seats in her A4.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
My wife has a 2015 A4 quattro she bought new. It has a 6 speed manual and is a very good road car for the size.

The car hasn't had a single problem yet but it has just under 60K on it. My GTI has a very similar engine and has had a few issues I repaired on my own, but it has 164K miles.

Your only suppose to want a Toyota around here unless your a cardiothoracic surgeon, than you have a green light to buy a Lexus.

When your wife wants a new car do you think you will take over the Audi and sell yours ? It's a manual , they aren't easy to find in that car I'm sure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back