How does Rock Auto do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Between bank discounts for purchases from Advance, and then 25% discount code for Advance stacked with the bank discount, I have been buying more parts from Advance lately. Can get it right now with lifetime warranty.

On the other hand, RockAuto closeouts are fantastic. I have scored very good parts at super cheap prices.

Originally Posted by BigCahuna
Originally Posted by CourierDriver
Brick and mortar stores are way high usually, overhead,,,main cause...
So what do they do, keep all their parts out in a field?
RockAuto has no warehouses. They don't stock auto parts. RA is a website that takes our orders and sends them to other companies that do ALL of the physical work.

As a number of people have mentioned, RA shouldn't be anyone's automatic go-to for auto parts unless you are extremely loyal. Their prices are not always the lowest and anyone that doesn't factor in their shipping cost into the total purchase cost is a fool. Then you have their double-dipping on shipping if you order more than one part (not always the case).

Hi, I'm new here, this is post #1.

I always shop around if I'm buying anything major. For example, I needed new cats on by 97 F150. I wanted OEM, not a cobbled up generic setup from the local muffler shop. The Ford dealer says NLA. Advance, O'Reilly, Autozone all wanted much more than Rock Auto, about $200 dollars more, even when shipping was factored in. So Rock Auto got the order. We have 5 cars so every year I place an order for a quantity of filters to cover all the filter changes each of them might need for the next year.

Some of the Oreilly stores will price match RockAuto but will charge for shipping. You loose out on the 5% RA discount but usually get the parts quicker.

The local Autozone says they price match Walmart and Amazon as it is their company policy.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
As a number of people have mentioned, RA shouldn't be anyone's automatic go-to for auto parts unless you are extremely loyal. Their prices are not always the lowest and anyone that doesn't factor in their shipping cost into the total purchase cost is a fool. Then you have their double-dipping on shipping if you order more than one part (not always the case).

I have found this to be true to a degree. Say part is....12.59 and shipping is 5.99 standard.
Around $19 total with rock auto and autozone eight minutes down the road has it in stock for 15.99......autozone gets my money.

Rock auto and ebay were best to get high dollar parts CHEAP !! Well It was fun while it lasted........

For a long time in Oklahoma you didn't have to pay sales tax on Amazon,Ebay and rock auto purchases

Now the "fun" is over
15.gif

On July 1 Ebay was the last one to get nicked on adding sales tax to any item sold in Oklahoma

Now, gonna have to REALLY research every source when buying parts for my "Fleet"

For now Amazon with 1-2 day prime shipping has been the "winner", If i'm lucky at the right parts store they match with Walmart which most times matches with Amazon he.he

Dave

Last edited:
I've never once ordered from RA. I simply price match RA at AAP (ordering online). Why? I get the same price AND pick it up in just a few minutes. Sometimes AAP does throw a fit over warranty discrepancies, but so far they've never NOT matched them. More often than not, they forget to charge for RA's shipping, so they tend to accidentally beat RA's price. Win-win.

Originally Posted by GMguy84
Rock auto and ebay were best to get high dollar parts CHEAP !! Well It was fun while it lasted........

For a long time in Oklahoma you didn't have to pay sales tax on Amazon,Ebay and rock auto purchases

Now the "fun" is over
15.gif

On July 1 Ebay was the last one to get nicked on adding sales tax to any item sold in Oklahoma

Not a problem, I got a tax exempt status.
banana2.gif
Now if only Walmart and Advance Online would get with the program.

How do you get them to price-match through their website? I've never seen anything about that.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
How do you get them to price-match through their website? I've never seen anything about that.
Countless times the last 7 years. You do have to call the 1-877-ADVANCE number to do it though. They will match and submit the order for you. Just be prepared for them to disqualify it for ANY discrepancy (most notably the same exact brake pads on RA having a 2 year warranty and AAP having a lifetime warranty.. ask me how I know). You sometimes have to argue and they eventually cave.

Last edited:
I have tried with very limited success getting any brick and mortar auto parts store to match an online price of anybody. Mostly they say tough luck. This includes multiple different Advance Auto stores. When they do match it's for the exact same part only it is then the overall cost with shipping and then they add tax. Spark plugs belts and hoses seem to meet the criteria. Engine/exhaust/drivetrain/suspension/sensors and electronics parts not so much.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Originally Posted by NavyVet88
I will admit that my refrigerator has like 25 of those rock auto magnets they send with each order too lol. They didn't send me one on the last order and I was bummed lol
I'm glad that most people on this board are as obsessed with the magnets as I am. I got two in one order once and I was over the moon.

LOL.... I don't think I have ever kept one

For the most part I've been happy with them but ordered a mopar oil filter and it was just in the bottom of the shipping Box no filter box around it or anything

Last edited:
Just ordered a set of Akebono brake pads from Rock Auto. $ 52.00 CDN + $ 14.00 shipping ... so $ 66.00 all in.

Why ... ?

Price at the Napa store / online is , gasp , $ 167.00 CDN.

[Linked Image]

No, I don't have the pads TODAY. But saving a $ 100.00 on ONE set of brand name brake pads ... that works for me.

And Rock Auto has OK shipping fees, to Canada at least.

Originally Posted by Kjmack
Napa know how

LOL I get emails from NAPA for what appears to be a good deal on certain items from time to time. The closest NAPA is about a 25 minute ride, and not once would they honor the email prices, they "don't participate." Buying online and picking up at the store always shows a different higher price in the cart. As a result I don't do business with them.

Originally Posted by pbm
I just ordered some tie-rods and ball joints and Amazon Prime was cheaper than RA...the 'Free Shipping' was the difference maker...
(RA was slightly cheaper on the parts but the shipping made it much more than Amazon for the exact same parts)….You have to shop both sites for the best deal....I went with Moog tie-rods and Beck Arnley ball joints....

I just bought a set of ball joints off of Amazon.

One was used!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back