Wife's first cousin no helmet crash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes it's true , then every night on the news I have to see some family touting their Go Fund Me page for their family member . Plenty of money for toys but nothing in savings for a rainy day. My main charity is St. Jude . Those poor kids with cancer breaks my heart.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Silverado12
Recently I've had some close calls too. Everyone who has a smartphone is on it, either Facebooking or texting, etc. I'm almost ready to sell my bikes after the last month of dealing with stupid people on the road.

Sell your Harley and enjoy a weekend cruise in your Mustang with your wife.

Originally Posted by BigCahuna
Originally Posted by TiredTrucker
I live in rural area. With all that can happen on the rural, hilly two lane highways in my area, I never ride without proper gear on. Plenty of good ventilated outer wear with CD armor included is available, and headgear to match every preference. I am in my 60's now and going for a roll is harder on me than when I was 21. And recovery is longer. I prefer to armor up. Besides, I ride without screen or fairings.
So you are aware that if you were to hit a tree at 60 mph, even with all you various helmets and gear, you will still be 1st degree dead. The companies that sell protective gear, only offer lifetime warranties up to the point you become dead. After that it's null and void.,,

On the other hand protective gear CAN save some pain and suffering, and potentially your life. I know of a guy that was sitting still on his bike, tipped over and hit his head on a curb. Skull split open, dead. His doorag didn't help him at all.

I also know a guy that came off his bike at an actual 240+ mph. All the safety gear saved him with only minor bumps and bruises.

Bottom line: There are no guarantees, but safety gear increases your chances of not only surviving, but possibly doing so with little injury.

I'm still for people having the freedom to do as they wish with regards to their own safety.

No matter how well trained you are, or how well you know your bikes capabilities, or how careful you are, riding is dangerous. No, I don't think dangerous activities should be banned, it's part of life, but you should wear protective gear, and not ride like you're invincible. If you're willing to take the risk, and everything in life involves some risk, then I have no problem with it. Yes, I know folks, who were both young and old, who had accidents and are now living on disability, it sucks on both ends, there's and ours.
I chose to give up riding both motorcycles and 4 wheelers several years ago, because I'm getting older and healing is slower and more painful. I didn't want to be living with injuries. One thing that made me do it, was I ran into a nice young fellow in the local auto parts store and we struck up a conversation. He explained he loved to ride, and how his buddies were pretty wild riders. He got married and had a baby, and then realized that if he got hurt his wife and child would be left to ether take care of him or be lost without him. I must admit, that young man was smarter than I at that point, and I decided it was time for me to quit before anything awful happened. It's true younger people can teach older guys, and I salute that fellow for opening my eyes. Sometimes the deed you do, you never get to realize the good it does. I saw an interview with Vince Gill and the interviewer asked what the most important thing about raising children was....VG answered "just keep em alive". It's so true of all of us. Stay alive first and you can make a difference.

I'm not telling anyone to quit riding, that's not my place. I'm just saying, do all you can to be careful and safe.

Last edited:
Doing all you can to be careful and safe is no guarantee either. I'm reminded of Randy Renfrow. RIP

He was a professional motorcycle racer, who won championships. A dangerous, risk-filled life no doubt. He died from falling down some stairs and sustaining a head injury.

Yes, motorcycles are inherently dangerous. All anyone can do is learn how to ride defensively, wear the right riding gear and know your riding skill limits and road conditions. Riding a motorcycle is like being a fighter jet pilot, it needs 100% concentration and honed skills to help keep yourself as safe as possible. The uncontrollable factors (like zombies behing the wheel) are your biggest threats. All you can do is be fully alert, have some good "spidey sense" and be ready to react to danger.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Motorcycles are dangerous and idiots on cellphones in vehicles make it worse.

They are why I sold mine...

Originally Posted by grampi
How do you know the moron who pulled out in front of him was smoking pot?

I don't know where the accident took place but, it sounds exactly like the one in the Port Huron, Mi area. If it was the one in PH the police said the two in the car were high on pot.

Enjoy your Corvette with A/C and seat belts when you are out cruising.

Enjoy your Corvette with A/C and seat belts when you are out cruising.

I will...thanks...

Originally Posted by Truckedup
I live in rural area. With all that can happen on the rural, hilly two lane highways in my area, I never ride without proper gear on. Plenty of good ventilated outer wear with CD armor included is available, and headgear to match every preference. I am in my 60's now and going for a roll is harder on me than when I was 21. And recovery is longer. I prefer to armor up. Besides, I ride without screen or fairings.

I live in a rural/agricultural area and can ride for dozens of miles on the two lanes up and down and around....Although there's dangers like slow moving farm equipment taking up both lanes, mud, cow crap and of course,deer... I feel safer than riding in built up areas with all the vehicle traffic..
I just turned 72 and still ride sporty bikes.. I do ride less and have slowed down a bit...Minumal gear is full face helmet, leather jacket, gloves and boots...I get ill seeing young women in shorts and belly tops on the back of flying sports bikes..Or guys on cruisers with a little helmet on the back of their head...But ,hey, it's their choice...

I did forget to mention that it includes 2 miles of gravel road to the nearest hard top.

If you're on a bike, the only way to stay safe is to scan every car within 50' of you and assess the stupidest thing they could do, and move yourself accordingly. You simply cannot rely on anyone else to keep YOU safe.

Originally Posted by Lawn_Care
I live in rural area. With all that can happen on the rural, hilly two lane highways in my area, I never ride without proper gear on.

This ^ 100%

Dress for the slide, not the ride.

When I rode with a fast crew many years ago, the rule was:

Wear whatever you feel comfortable crashing in.

I may or may not be in this video
48.gif
[video:]https://vimeo.com/56161973[/video]

Full leathers were normal. I preferred a two-piece Vanson, Sidi boots, Shoei helmet and Held gloves. I still have the bike (VFR) and gear, I just don't fit either anymore!

Nowadays I feel good on the KLR. It's hard to go too fast and the suspension is magical over our deteriorating roads. What potholes?

Originally Posted by LotI
Originally Posted by Lawn_Care
I live in rural area. With all that can happen on the rural, hilly two lane highways in my area, I never ride without proper gear on.

This ^ 100%

Dress for the slide, not the ride.

When I rode with a fast crew many years ago, the rule was:

Wear whatever you feel comfortable crashing in.

I may or may not be in this video
48.gif
[video:]https://vimeo.com/56161973[/video]

Full leathers were normal. I preferred a two-piece Vanson, Sidi boots, Shoei helmet and Held gloves. I still have the bike (VFR) and gear, I just don't fit either anymore!

Nowadays I feel good on the KLR. It's hard to go too fast and the suspension is magical over our deteriorating roads. What potholes?

I didn't see any riding that was "insane". Pretty smooth and moderate pace for the most part. Maybe a little close to the centerline on some blind left-handers, or it could just be the perspective from the camera.

Yeah, but realize how cool he looked during the crash. All the nurses must have immediately removed clothing after opening the hospital room door.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back