I WILL be making this fluid extractor pump, so awesome!

I see the pumps are under $40 shipped on eBay from Cali. The fittings and valve should be around $10. The gallon pickle jar is $5.79 at Wally World. Should work like a charm for to empty trans pans and do some small engines that have crappy drain locations.

Originally Posted by Audios
A mityvac is only about 70$ wouldnt it be better to have a warranty?

How reliable is the Mityvac ?

Interesting! Guess, I'm old fashioned. Plain drain and fill....Something to think about though.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice

In the MB forum most people use it and I've read no complains, it's almost the standard for vacuum pumps, very versatile.

I made mine from an old propane tank. Holds almost 5 gallons. I'm not sure a pickle jar will survive a hard vacuum.

Last edited:
bought a MV for my new '03 AquaTrax, it's long gone but the MV turned out to be a great tool, used often gets 98% of the old oil out of my Toyota's..I only drain when filter replacement is required ramps and skid removal... every third OCI.

Originally Posted by atikovi
You'll have fun cleaning up the mess when that pickle jar falls to the ground and shatters.
I would have a bigger fear that the pickle jar would implode from the vacuum. Pickle jars are not strong enough for the task.

We bought the nicer model thats a little updated, https://smile.amazon.com/Mityvac-72...d=1562519686&s=automotive&sr=1-1, since I planned on using at the shop. I figured Id roll the dice since Snap Ons 6 gallon is almost 800. I have probably done about 15 oil changes with it in the past 2 weeks, no problems. Just a little slow to drain out into our oil drum. Its so great just setting it up, pumping it, and letting it go while I scan it or re charge the Ac, etc. Most still end up in the air anyway, but the hassle of removing the panels and shields is greatly reduced. One of my biggest peeves is having to take the whole splash shield down just to get at the drain plug on some cars. Panamera and Aston Martin are the worst, probably 30 screws.

Originally Posted by dwcopple
I see the pumps are under $40 shipped on eBay from Cali. The fittings and valve should be around $10. The gallon pickle jar is $5.79 at Wally World. Should work like a charm for to empty trans pans and do some small engines that have crappy drain locations.

Please link to the vacuum pumps on ebay for $40 shipped, I can only locate units close to $50.

Another option is this Harbor Freight Air Vacuum Pump 96677 that is $17 before 20% coupon ($13.60+your states extortion fee). You will need an air supply for this option that can supply 4.2 CFM @ 90 PSI.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Onetor
Interesting! Guess, I'm old fashioned. Plain drain and fill....Something to think about though.

Same - let gravity do it's thing and let me clean the magnets in the pan. None of mine are really hard to change the motor oil on - I normally add a drain plug to the transmission pan on the 4WD's - and my FWD's already have them.

I do have a super syringe that can be handy to fill a transfer case in a tight situation - or back when I had hydraulic power steering.

Originally Posted by Onetor

Can't drain a trans pan without a plug.
crazy.gif

Originally Posted by redbone3
Pickle jars are not strong enough for the task.

Did you not watch the video???

Originally Posted by dwcopple

Can't drain a trans pan without a plug.
crazy.gif

It's not hard at all - - - you start loosening at one corner and work in a "diamond pattern to the other corner.

It really isn't hard at all to do - or even messy - if you do it the right way

I have mine for about 5 years now. It has been used for several jobs that I've done, and I lent it out a few times too. For the average DIY'er I'd say it will last a very long time.

Originally Posted by redbone3
Originally Posted by atikovi
You'll have fun cleaning up the mess when that pickle jar falls to the ground and shatters.
I would have a bigger fear that the pickle jar would implode from the vacuum. Pickle jars are not strong enough for the task.

That too, but whenever I'm wrenching underhood and have a tool or some bolts on top of the engine, inevitably one of them drops to the ground or into the engine compartment never to be found again.

Back