FRAM CORE 9688 CUT OPEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Off of the stepbrothers 2017 Hyundau Elantra with 4cylinder. Had just over 3,200 miles on this and QSGB 5W30 used by Wal Mart TLE near me. Put a Kia/Hyundai OEM filter and some HK Syn 5w30 in and on he supplied. Car has 60,xxx on it and mainly highway driving by stepbrother.

20190704_174008.jpg

20190704_174019.jpg

20190704_174140.jpg

20190704_174206.jpg

20190704_174235.jpg

20190704_174228.jpg

20190704_174311.jpg

20190704_174337.jpg

53 Stude, will you be accepting donations of fellow BITOGer used filters, if we can figure out how to mail it without the Post Office police raiding our house die to mailing oil contaminated thing?
laugh.gif

That filter looks pretty darned good, to me. What's all this BS I hear about them having rust in them or being poorly constructed? That one looks like it could go another 3k miles, easily.

Originally Posted by talest
53 Stude, will you be accepting donations of fellow BITOGer used filters, if we can figure out how to mail it without the Post Office police raiding our house die to mailing oil contaminated thing?
laugh.gif

I'll take your used filters to cut and post. pm me if interested

Originally Posted by IndyFan
That filter looks pretty darned good, to me. What's all this BS I hear about them having rust in them or being poorly constructed? That one looks like it could go another 3k miles, easily.

Yeah, oil was kinda dark looking but filter looks good

When did the Core get a silicone ADV? Or is that just some models?

Also, is the whole can the grippy stuff (like the old AAP filters)?

Looks good though.

edit: well got curious on price for these on e-bay, and may the sellers are on crack.
One sell is selling 10 for $32.75 shipped, but they are all damaged filters. Others are around $6 each.
I can get a FSP for that price.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by blupupher
When did the Core get a silicone ADV? Or is that just some models?

Also, is the whole can the grippy stuff (like the old AAP filters)?

Looks good though.

Dont know for sure on silicone adbv. Filter is like old TOTAL GRIP from AAP though or "sandpaper texture" I call it
wink.gif

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Originally Posted by talest
laugh.gif

I'll take your used filters to cut and post. pm me if interested

Stude wouldn't like me when I ship up a whole dumpster of used Walmart oil filters to his house.

Looks great, convinced me to try an extra guard on my Kia.
Thx Adam, great work as usual!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SlavaB

Be prepared to pay an extra $2 for the Kia/Hyundai Fram EG. All stores (even outside of Walmart) charge $2 more. than rival, participating Fram EG ##s.
Fram also charges more for the TG and Ultra 9688s too.
That sent me to NAPA for the ProSelects. Best Buy @ $3.49. Just be sure to get the new stock with silicone ADBV ..... yellow and white outer box. Looks like the OEM upon inspection.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by SlavaB

Be prepared to pay an extra $2 for the Kia/Hyundai Fram EG. All stores (even outside of Walmart) charge $2 more. than rival, participating Fram EG ##s.
Fram also charges more for the TG and Ultra 9688s too.
That sent me to NAPA for the ProSelects. Best Buy @ $3.49. Just be sure to get the new stock with silicone ADBV ..... yellow and white outer box. Looks like the OEM upon inspection.

My local napa store doesn't have new style proselects, plus it's efficiency is unknown. I have no problem paying $5 for a filter

I went to three NAPA's before finding the new stock. Mine aren't spread too far apart. I found it about 10 miles away.

I got a little ticked off when I saw the price difference on the Frams. So I balked on purchasing them and spent at least $2-3 more in gas, driving around to find something else that's good & cheap.

That's me. That's how I shop. If I feel I'm being snickered, I won't buy it and I'll put the product back on the store shelf. That same day. time....etc... I did buy another Fram EG for the Malibu. That one was two bucks cheaper, like many other model ##s on the shelf that day.

Last edited:
What happend to the Core being a Core? Metal center tubes are in them now? This is good to know.

Originally Posted by jongies3
What happend to the Core being a Core? Metal center tubes are in them now? This is good to know.

The Walmart TLE filters changed (back) to Fram made 2 or 3 years ago. They are the same as a regular orange Fram, but have a slightly grippy surface on the can.

Chainblu: look at the ST 9688 I cut and posted. looks similar to this one

Purely by coincidence, I looked at a ST9688 earlier today at WM. It looked like it was constructed well... especially for $2.88. If I had something it would fit on, I'd use it.

Originally Posted by chainblu
Chainblu: look at the ST 9688 I cut and posted. looks similar to this one

Purely by coincidence, I looked at a ST9688 earlier today at WM. It looked like it was constructed well... especially for $2.88. If I had something it would fit on, I'd use it.

Good to hear chainblu
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back