Wife's first cousin no helmet crash

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really surprised that insurance companies even write policies for street bikes anymore. I see the time coming when they no longer will, and
that will be the end of motorcycles as a large part of the traffic on US roads.

Originally Posted by AC1DD
I'm really surprised that insurance companies even write policies for street bikes anymore. I see the time coming when they no longer will, and that will be the end of motorcycles as a large part of the traffic on US roads.

Won't happen. Insurance companies will never refuse to write policies for street bikes (racing bikes in particular).

What they could do is price them accordingly - so that it's not practical or affordable to insure certain types of motorcycles.

I sincerely hope this day never comes, but I can see a reality in which this can and does happen.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by sloinker
The thing that bugs me most is from riders that say they are within the law riding without a helmet etc depending upon location. How many riders are now permanently crippled and cared for by my generous tax donations? So I expect a DNR on your license and some heavy duty life insurance for the many years of assisted diaper changes ahead of you...

That is actually one of the stipulations to ride without a helmet in Texas.

• Must have "adequate" health insurance
  • Be 21 or older
  • Completed MSF course

Thing is, you can't be pulled over for just not wearing a helmet, need more cause to do so, so most that ride without a helmet probably don't meet the rules for it.
There is (or was) a bill that was being pushed to allow LEO to pull a rider over that was not wearing a helmet to prove they meet the requirement, but a lot of people against it, since if you choose to ride without a helmet, you could get pulled over every 10 minutes while riding. And yes, you could say "just wear a helmet", but the law says you don't have too, but you end up being harassed, even though you follow the law.

I would actually have a problem proving that I meet the criteria though.
I am 49, have "adequate" health insurance (as well as disability insurance), and have taken the MSF, but I have no proof of taking the MSF since I was 15 when I did it.

Never ride tandem, next to another motorcycle as you eliminate any chance of maneuvering.Never change lanes without turning your head, I don't care how great your mirror is.Expect that car from the other direction to turn in your path.Expect the car in front of you to make a quick right turn.Always leave an escape route.Accelerate away from most traffic.When sitting at a light, pay attention to whats coming up behind.(Good reason to practice drag launches). Be somewhat predictable so people around you may have a clue as to what you are going to do.Never ride in a blind spot, make sure the cars know you are there.Just some things that have kept me alive (so far anyways).

Last edited:
Originally Posted by sloinker
Keeping the gene pool cleansed. No helmet,no leathers and spin the wheel of probabilities. What's that old high school drivers ed film? You are right. Dead Right!

Well as Dirty Harry asks, do you feel lucky?

I bought a used Kawasaki 450 when I was about 25. It was fun going through the gears on some back roads. It was scary riding it when there were other cars. I liked fixing it rather than riding. The farthest I went was to DMV to get a license. Shortly after that had a daughter and she needed me more than I needed a motorcycle.

My daughter is all grown with kids now and her husband has a motorcycle. Never have seen her on it however.

In i believe 2004 i got a new Mustang , first week of having it my wife was at a stop light and a motorcycle slammed in the rear end . Guy got our phone number called me up saying my wife was a horrible driver . I cant repeat what i told him . Anyway i kept the car for 2 years , what a pile of crap that car was .

When I was in HS a buddy died after a truck took him out running a stop sign. Another friend was in a coma for awhile when a bus mirror hit him (no helmet). For me it's off road only, full protective gear, or a bicycle with lots of lights.

Last edited:
Oh good, another motorcycles are dangerous thread...

Yes they are dangerous, it's wise to wear protective gear while riding. It's also wise to learn how to ride.

I'm always amazed by how many people have been riding for years, and have no clue of how to best utilize their bikes capabilities. Way too many people are afraid to use their front brake, have never practiced hard braking, have no idea how far their bike can lean, how to minimize their lean angle and hang off so they can negotiate a curve at a higher speed than they previously thought possible, or avoid a collision, etc, etc.

How often do we hear "I had to lay the bike down to avoid an accident". That's not avoiding an accident, THAT IS A CRASH. Usually because their situational awareness was likely lacking, and their bike operating skills were definitely lacking.

While we're talking about an inherently dangerous activity, why not mention people who overeat until they are morbidly obese, and then suffer the consequences from that? Should insurance have to cover the cost of their self-inflicted problems? That's a far more common and expensive problem than motorcycle injuries in this country...

The reality is that as long as we want to live in a somewhat Free Country, people are free to engage in whatever dangerous or gluttonous pastime they want.

OP, I hope your wife's cousin recovers. And if he chooses to still ride, gets some advanced riding instruction. Some protective gear could save some pain and suffering too.

Last edited:
Recreational riders figure mighty high in the statistics....but most riders these days would be classed recreational. I don't ride modern flash bikes, I don't ride fast, I don't wear expensive gear with visible labels, or lack of gear with visible tattoos, I don't do track days to hone my skills...I'm just out there nearly everyday, in all conditions, dealing with roads and traffic. I'm certainly not infallible, but I see the dangers everyday.

I fell in love with BMW's R1100S (if I remember correctly) and even checked out 2 of them for sale near me.

Then I figured the bike would spend the vast majority of its life in my friend's barn upstate rather than under my rump.

I didn't want to ride within a 50 mile radius of any population centers.

1) I hope the OP's relative recovers OK

2) I wish various DMV and traffic department safety campaigns didn't cast the motorcycle riders as poor, defenseless, wounded puppies.

In my younger days, I would fly human organs around the state ( often night, often marginal wx ) for transplant.

Usually the next day, when we were down to the less time critical stuff ( we called this the "offal"), we would read / hear about the motorcycle crash.

Originally Posted by BISCUT
I'm 46 and know all to well that I am not capable of owning a motorcycle or a quad or a dirt bike. I just can't keep the speed down. So I stay away. I'm also a cop and see just how many motorcycle riders do ZERO wrong and end up dead or with bones sticking out of their legs. I love the MC's and truly dream of a Harley Electra Glide but the danger is just too much. I'm bad enough on a mountain bike.

You want to ride, but are afraid of getting into trouble? Maybe start with a Grom or a Z125 Pro, or a Benelli TNT 135? Not too fast, but lots of fun. And you can probably take them to the local kart track for inexpensive track time if you want.

I have a hard time with the "beginner" bike mantra and starting small because you won't get in "trouble". The bikes mentioned are barely bigger than a moped and cramped for even average size guys. For a new adult person, many other bikes are better choices. Find a used bike on Craigslist that you won't be afraid of dropping, but know if you are simply careful and sensible, you won't have issues. Make sure it is one that fits you physically and understand it is your right wrist attached to your brain that gets you in trouble, period.

I live in rural area. With all that can happen on the rural, hilly two lane highways in my area, I never ride without proper gear on. Plenty of good ventilated outer wear with CD armor included is available, and headgear to match every preference. I am in my 60's now and going for a roll is harder on me than when I was 21. And recovery is longer. I prefer to armor up. Besides, I ride without screen or fairings.

Originally Posted by TiredTrucker
I live in rural area. With all that can happen on the rural, hilly two lane highways in my area, I never ride without proper gear on.

This ^ 100%

Dress for the slide, not the ride.

Last edited:
I live in rural area. With all that can happen on the rural, hilly two lane highways in my area, I never ride without proper gear on. Plenty of good ventilated outer wear with CD armor included is available, and headgear to match every preference. I am in my 60's now and going for a roll is harder on me than when I was 21. And recovery is longer. I prefer to armor up. Besides, I ride without screen or fairings.

I live in a rural/agricultural area and can ride for dozens of miles on the two lanes up and down and around....Although there's dangers like slow moving farm equipment taking up both lanes, mud, cow crap and of course,deer... I feel safer than riding in built up areas with all the vehicle traffic..
I just turned 72 and still ride sporty bikes.. I do ride less and have slowed down a bit...Minumal gear is full face helmet, leather jacket, gloves and boots...I get ill seeing young women in shorts and belly tops on the back of flying sports bikes..Or guys on cruisers with a little helmet on the back of their head...But ,hey, it's their choice...

So you are aware that if you were to hit a tree at 60 mph, even with all you various helmets and gear, you will still be 1st degree dead. The companies that sell protective gear, only offer lifetime warranties up to the point you become dead. After that it's null and void.,,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back