Surface Prep best practices

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am having trouble figuring out best routine for paint surface preparation. Say I want to detail again and surface probably has some residual wax, etc. Do I start with wax removal spray, then clay, then Iron X to remove any residual contaminants? What prep routine do you all do? Hope everyone is well. Thanks.

What was the coating before? Some ceramic coatings need to be physically removed.

I'd personally wash with dawn, then go over with iron x, clay if needed, then use machines for whatever I was doing.

Thanks...polish and wax sealant on top. Just curious on what is best...good idea on washing with dawn soap. No ceramics (yet). I noticed after claying a few specs that I had to get out with my finger nail (did not come out while claying) thus inclusion of Iron X to my routine. Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by mbacfp
Thanks...polish and wax sealant on top. Just curious on what is best...good idea on washing with dawn soap. No ceramics (yet). I noticed after claying a few specs that I had to get out with my finger nail (did not come out while claying) thus inclusion of Iron X to my routine. Thanks for the info.

Ive been disappointed to be honest, with iron removal products. It's just not there on our vehicles. That said, you use multiple products on the chance it is... which is why I still think it's a good idea.

Point being, don't be surprised if the spots you feel don't change color and are still there.

Good suggestions all around. Is this the Challenger? There have been some reports of paint jobs with contamination.

Appreciate all the info. I washed and noticed beading still strong so I followed with quick sealant again (one I did last time). No need to start over with claying, etc.
[Linked Image]

Thanks again everyone.

PimTac,

Yes, mine still have a few spots I need to work on. Not too bad though.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Ive been disappointed to be honest, with iron removal products. It's just not there on our vehicles. That said, you use multiple products on the chance it is... which is why I still think it's a good idea.

After trying two different brands I thought I was doing something wrong since they didn't work well. Then I tried the one below which did an excellent job. It starts working almost instantly. I need to order some more of it. I thought these products all worked about the same given the good reviews.

Gtechniq Iron Remover

My order of operations for a deep clean/full detail is:

1. Clean wheels
2. Clean jambs (doors, engine, trunk) because they use different chemicals sometimes and can splash dirtier water on the finish
3. Wash/rinse (foam cannon, two bucket method)
4. Iron remover
5. Wash/rinse (two bucket method)
6. Clay (I like to use wash water for lube, mitt in one hand, clay in the other)
7. Wash/rinse (single bucket)
8. Dry
...LSP steps...

Last edited:
I used a clay mit for the first time today. Not impressed.
A clay bar seems to remove much more micro contamination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back