Post your latest small engine oil change

31cc 4 stroke trimmer. It takes 60cc.. I used Super Tech 10W30. 3rd oil change in the first 2 hours. The oil came out a bit dirty the first change, about 60 minutes use. The second change today the oil was as clean as new. I think it's broke in now. But I'll be changing it at 5 hour intervals. A quart of oil oughta last me a couple years.

John Deere L110 riding mower
Kohler single cylinder engine

Out: a frankenmix of multi and mono 30 weights, supertech(white can) filter

In: some old (ch4 maybe?) Rotella syn 5/40, supertech(blue can) filter

2017 Cub Cadet XT2 w/ Kohler KT725 7000 Series Twin

Out: Kohler 10w30 w/ Kohler 52 050 02-S Pro Yellow Filter

In: Kawasaki K-Tech Red Cap 10w30 Synblend w/ Kohler 52 050 02-S Pro Yellow Filter

Front Axle/Wheels lubed with Mystik JT-6 Multi-Purpose #2

Husqvarna push Briggs engine
Out Factory fill 3 years
In 50-50 mix John Deere SAE 30 and Havoline ProDs 5w30 left over from last change of John Deere

John Deere D110 Briggs Engine
Out John Deere SAE 30 50 hrs
In Rest of blend then one quart of Havoline ProDs 5w30

Push Mower Briggs engine
Out Pennzoil Gold 5w30 2 years
In Havoline ProDs 5w30

I like to run a blend before going full synthetic. All the equipment went to long as oil was very thick. Husqvarna is not mine but was told it never needs oil change and my push got skipped last year cause since it was a blend I could go 2 years not so
Temps been up to 96 lately.

19 year old john deere push mower. I think 3 years on oil but it could be 2.
Out 30 wt super tech
In 15/40 super tech.

I am using up the last of the super tech oil for air cools. Will be switching over to chevron 15/40 delo and Havoline 10/30 syn.

My new but cheapo Troy Bilt TB590. Out was the supplied SAE 30. In was PetroCan Duron SHP 10w30 CK4.

I swapped the factory fill out early, 5 hours or less of use (manual states 10 hours). It was black with metallic particles. Its got a couple of hours now of heavy use and it is already quite dark.

Originally Posted by BrianF
I swapped the factory fill out early, 5 hours or less of use (manual states 10 hours). It was black with metallic particles. Its got a couple of hours now of heavy use and it is already quite dark.

If it were mine, I'd probably flush it out again a time or 2. It doesn't take much oil, and (for me, anyway) it's cheap peace of mind.

I did the pressure washer and mower yesterday and saw some serious fuel dilution.

Pressure washer is a Loncin G200FAÂ Honda clone. I took about 750ml out and refilled with 600ml 10w30 PWB dino. Smelled like gasoline. I am lax at using the fuel shut off lever at times though, so I will get back on that. This unit was bought brand new in 2016, this is the third oil change, I havent seen this kind of dilution in it before. Probably only sees 12 hours of service per year.

Lawnmower is a Koehler push assist mower, I cant remember what size engine right now, I will check when I get home. New to me for two years, sees about 10 hours use per year. I remember there being fuel dilution last time I changed the oil but I didn't measure it that time as I wasn't sure the service history. Spark plugs and air filter look almost new. Inherited it from an older family member, it has seen very little use.

I drained out just under 900ml and refilled it with 500ml of 10w30 PWB dino. 400ml of gasoline in there! Poured just like water.

I last changed the oil in both of these in August last year putting in PP 5W30 in both. They see about 15-30 mins use each week in the summer. Pressure washer is stored indoors in the winter, lawnmower stays in the garage over winter and sees subzero temperatures.

Is there anything I can try to lesson the dilution? Thicker oil? Change more often? Try to run it longer and harder? Anything I can clean or replace?

Thanks in advance!

Originally Posted by mcwilly
Is there anything I can try to lesson the dilution? Thicker oil? Change more often? Try to run it longer and harder? Anything I can clean or replace?

I'd do all of the above. Perhaps a 5w40 (or even a 10w40 if they don't see Winter use) since they're air-cooled it won't hurt a thing. Longer running cycles won't hurt either. Fuel shut-off valves are sometimes very helpful in these situations, and some shut the fuel off after each use. Definitely shut off the fuel valve and let it run dry before winter. You're easily changing the oil often enough, but I guess you could change more often if the above-mentioned measures don't help. Only other thing that comes to mind is perhaps a sticky float in the carb, allowing too much fuel to get through - and it has to go somewhere. That's a worst-case scenario and I would try the first few choices before I tore into the carbs.

79cc Powermate edger (picked up for cheap with a fuel issue)
OUT: Unknown
IN: SuperTech 10w-30

B&S 3.5HP push mower (found for free)
OUT: Unknown
IN SuperTech 10w-30

No idea what out very black
10w 30 supertech full synthetic in.
Wanted to try supertech for the first time

Received a free weed eater briggs and stratton mower a month ago. Changed the oil in the truck so figured I'd do the mower as well. Looks like maybe two stroke oil was used as it was blue/black. Probably ok, but now it has 5w30 mielsyn blend in it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mcwilly
I did the pressure washer and mower yesterday and saw some serious fuel dilution.

Pressure washer is a Loncin G200FAÂ Honda clone. I took about 750ml out and refilled with 600ml 10w30 PWB dino. Smelled like gasoline. I am lax at using the fuel shut off lever at times though, so I will get back on that. This unit was bought brand new in 2016, this is the third oil change, I havent seen this kind of dilution in it before. Probably only sees 12 hours of service per year.

Lawnmower is a Koehler push assist mower, I cant remember what size engine right now, I will check when I get home. New to me for two years, sees about 10 hours use per year. I remember there being fuel dilution last time I changed the oil but I didn't measure it that time as I wasn't sure the service history. Spark plugs and air filter look almost new. Inherited it from an older family member, it has seen very little use.

I drained out just under 900ml and refilled it with 500ml of 10w30 PWB dino. 400ml of gasoline in there! Poured just like water.

I last changed the oil in both of these in August last year putting in PP 5W30 in both. They see about 15-30 mins use each week in the summer. Pressure washer is stored indoors in the winter, lawnmower stays in the garage over winter and sees subzero temperatures.

Thanks in advance!

Adding some pics to my post, I tried to clean some things up on the Kohler 149cc courage mower.

I found the air filter also smells like pure gasoline. Didn't really notice any leaks or any reason the air filter could be soaking up gasoline.

I dont have another one on hand so I sprayed it with some degreaser and rinsed it off. Still smells strongly of gasoline. I also have some air filter spray oil I can spray back onto it, as I'm pretty sure it is an oiled filter. Just letting it dry now.

20190710_192640.jpg

20190710_192716.jpg

20190710_192739-1512x2016.jpg

Cub cadet ags 2140 with a onan elite 140 engine. Out: unknown with a napa filter in: super tech straight 30s with a super tech filter

John Deere F510 with Kawasaki motor/hydraulic drive combo. Bought in 1999 and around 50 hours a year use. Use to change all the oil (~4 qts) every year but stopped as the oil in the engine doesn't darken much in one year. I had to drain, add two quarts and let that push out the rest of the dirty oil. Not all the oil is replaced with each change. Approximately 1.0 - 1.5 quarts remains in the hydraulic unit when the oil is initially drained.

2.3L 0w40 M1 (2.5 qts)

Fram PH 2951 Extra Gaurd old style

2 year OCI or around 100 hours.

Gravely 818T with 18HP Twin Onan

Out: Who knows!!! Looked to be seriously diluted by kerosene or diesel fuel as well.
In: Valvoline Blue 15w40 and a splash of Lubegard Biotech

Back