Wifi Range, Oh What a Difference Router Elevation Makes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
95% of readers to this thread haven't the skills to concoct remedies like the ones posted here.
So why not try to help those with little computer hardware skills?

How about those who need help speak up and ask questions?
11.gif

I didn't know anything about wifi and routers until I started Googling it. For the settings within the router, I literally Googled every single setting and made a decision based on what the etherwebs said their case-use might be.

First thing I would do is a zero dollar solution.

Get a ipad app or android app that scans for wifi channels.

See if a bunch of people are on the same channel that you are using.

Then move to a clear channel and retest.

Also make sure you are broadcasting a 5ghz network and a 2.4ghz network. Move all your devices to the 5ghz network if they support it.

5ghz will penetrate walls better and go a longer range. I have trouble with my 2.4ghz roku in the far bedroom but it is workable.

I have a cheap 40 dollar Tmobile Hotspot Asus router that I flashed to DDWRT and it covers my 1440 sq foot ranch from front to back with zero issues.

Originally Posted by bobdoo
JustinH said:
5ghz will penetrate walls better and go a longer range.

Nope, 5Ghz is faster but at a shorter range. Right from Netgears site: "The range is lower in the 5 GHz band because higher frequencies cannot penetrate solid objects, such as walls and floors."

Originally Posted by RTexasF
5ghz will penetrate walls better and go a longer range.

Nothing short of dead wrong.

If the walls foil 5ghz, how about if he leaves all the doors open inside his home - even the bedrooms & bathrooms at night?
Would more table-top fans work to distribute the 5ghz around?

C'mon RtexasF....... what's your secret to success?

Secret to success? An ASUS AC 2400 RT-AC87U dual band gigabit router. 2300 sq ft one story house with router on one end, no choice in placement. At the other end of the house through multiple walls & closets I still get almost a full signal on 2.4 and a usable signal in that side yard through the brick exterior.
The 5.0 goes through two walls to the living room big screen for Netflix, Prime, You Tube, etc. Never blinks, never pixelates, audio always in sync.

Either buy a top rated router or go with a mesh setup. My cable/internet service is mid tier, nothing fancy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back