Blast from the Past

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found an old photo of me and my brothers.

Year 1965
My Father made us a small Scoter to drive around.
No brake, and we just sat on a wooden chair.
We lived in the circle of a dead end street.
I was 8 years old (back / right).

We had to of caused the neighbors some grief.
My Uncle had an old 3-wheel Harley abandoned on his property.
When my oldest Brother was 14, he got it for passing 8th grade (1967).
My Father never thought my Brother would get it running, but he did
He was only surpose to drive it in the backyard, but he'd be driving it up and down the street.

Ah, the good old days.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
I took the liberty of a little photoshoppin'.
laugh.gif

Are those asbestos shingles?

full-79675-34235-cci_000012.jpg

eljefino - Thanks for enlarging.
No asbestos shingles. All the houses on the street were cedar siding and needed painting every 3-4 years.

Papa Bear - Yes, it was the deck from a reel mower, but the blades did not turn. That would be to dangerous.
Strictly to be used on the sidewalk only.

That's a cool scooter....In 1965 we used to make skateboards by nailing the front half of a roller skate to a 3 ft. 2x4 and the back half of the skate to the back of the 2X4...we would then nail a wooden milk crate to the front part to hold on to.....we would skoot all over northern Manhattan (NYC)…..those were good days....at least 10 kids lived in each tenement building (and each block had 3 or 4 tenements) so we were never bored.....I remember about that year a kid my age (2nd grade) on the next block got blown out on the street and run over (killed) by the pressure from a fire hydrant that older kids turned on.....

Originally Posted by pbm
That's a cool scooter....In 1965 we used to make skateboards by nailing the front half of a roller skate to a 3 ft. 2x4 and the back half of the skate to the back of the 2X4...we would then nail a wooden milk crate to the front part to hold on to.....we would skoot all over northern Manhattan (NYC)…..those were good days....at least 10 kids lived in each tenement building (and each block had 3 or 4 tenements) so we were never bored.....I remember about that year a kid my age (2nd grade) on the next block got blown out on the street and run over (killed) by the pressure from a fire hydrant that older kids turned on.....

My family moved from the Brooklyn/Queens borderline to northern Queens in 1960 and I remember making those skateboards too! I also remember playing stickball in the street with a pink Spaulding, stoop ball, ice cream trucks (Mr Softee, Good Humor and a couple others), the arrival of the Beatles in 1964 ( a life changing event!), my interest in cars starting in 1963, bicycles with banana seats, the NY World's Fair and on and on..... Those were the good old days for sure!

A month ago I became a grandpa for the first time. Where the heck did the years go?

Last edited:
Great picture! A wonderful time to be a kid. I was born in '60 so we did all of the same things growing up in northern Va. And yes, where did the time go?

Life growing up for my friends and I was the same way. I was born in 69 and life as a kid was amazing. I remember us taking the engines off our parents' old lawnmowers and making go carts. We even made a few boats and carried them through the neighborhood by hand all the way down to the lake.

We were always outside. It was an era where you had to be creative and imaginative,and make your own fun.

"We were always outside"

Yep. Those are the key words.

You started a memorable post MasterSolenoid, for me anyway.
And that is a GREAT photo even wo knowing the subjects. It reminds me of photos I remember from the past but no longer have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back