Better Power Steering Fluid for Caravan instead of ATF+4 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a 2001 dodge caravan which uses ATF+4 for power steering. Lately I get some harsh vibration or shuddering while turning the steering wheel with the wheels standing still in one spot. It's happened twice in the last 3 months , it goes away but seems to come back intermittently, doesnt happen often but it has come back a couple times. I spoke the dealer about it and they think the fluid should be changed , they can't think of anything else that may cause it. They didn't think it was a problem though. I was wondering if there is a better fluid than just the ATF+4 ?, I know Honda fluid is reported to be the best power steering fluid , dunno if it can be used in the DCX system or some other fluid instead of ATF+4, any advice on this ?

Joey

Chrysler warns about mixing regular "power steering fluid" with ATF+4. If you do switch, you will have to do a complete purge of the system to get all the ATF+4 out.

I'm kinda glad my 99 Chrysler was built before they made the switch to ATF+4 for the power steering. That way I can use any fluid that meets the Mopar spec.

I seem to remember that there was a TSB (technical service bulletin) on this problem. +4 is good stuff. Supposedly semi-synthetic.
Try allpar.com

4 years on any fluid is plenty.
Change the fluid to see if a fluid change helps even if it means picking up a quart of ATF+4 at the dealer. Use the siphon/refill method. Long hose and gravity, or a turkey baster can be used if you want to do it yourself.

Another option is to use any of the available synthetic ATFs. Mobil1, Amsoil, Redline come to mind.

Lubegard sells a PS protectant that might help the problem prior to the flush. Other products like lubecontrol/autorx/autotransmissionprotectants/...can also be tried.

Honda fluid isn't the best. Honda just forces owners to use Honda fluids.

quote:

Originally posted by unDummy:
4 years on any fluid is plenty.
Change the fluid to see if a fluid change helps even if it means picking up a quart of ATF+4 at the dealer. Use the siphon/refill method. Long hose and gravity, or a turkey baster can be used if you want to do it yourself.

Another option is to use any of the available synthetic ATFs. Mobil1, Amsoil, Redline come to mind.

Lubegard sells a PS protectant that might help the problem prior to the flush. Other products like lubecontrol/autorx/autotransmissionprotectants/...can also be tried.

Honda fluid isn't the best. Honda just forces owners to use Honda fluids.

thanks for the replies guys.

How does the syphon/refill method work ?. I understand syphoning out the fluid in the container, but how do I get the other fluid out below the container, so I start the engine up and then syphon out the container a 2nd time, how many times do I need to syphon it out ?, 2, 3 , or more times ?. I've got some ATF+4 available so I just need to figure out how to get the majority of the fluid out. thanks.

PSF is a very overlooked fluid to change.

Id just get a siphon and pull as much as you can out.

refill, and start up, turn wheels side to side a few times, repeat a few times.

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:
PSF is a very overlooked fluid to change.

Id just get a siphon and pull as much as you can out.

refill, and start up, turn wheels side to side a few times, repeat a few times.

JMH

okay great, thanks very much, I'll give that try and see if it has an effect.

Just you let you know, we now have a new synthetic power steering fluid which is available but is not on the website as yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back