Any HVAC guys out there

Status
Not open for further replies.

I need to replace my larger central ac unit here in Florida. I have been told I need I need a 4 ton minimum 14 seer unit. That said I have gotten some estimates but everyone is recommending different brands and the price difference is all over the place . I currently have a Carrier unit that is 13 years old. Been told everything from Goodman being the new best to Carrier being overpriced and made in Mexico. Not looking for bells and whistles just a good unit that will last for some time if installed by a good technician. Any recommendations?

Goodman is generally low-end, not that it isn't a reasonable choice. There has been quite a bit consolidation so parent companies own a collection of previously indepenent brands/lines that run a gamut of quality. I've gone with York a couple times most recently; it seems like a reasonable middle ground price-quality choice. 13-14 seer I think is standard entry efficiency now.

Research them - ask technical questions - and finally ask which system they put in their house and why ?

Once you have settled in on a unit/size - you might be able to get a completive quote on the same system …

BTW: you probably get thunderstorms so I'd shy away from the more complicated systems with sensitive control logic
Like a two stage might be plenty good compared to a VFD system

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JMJNet
Trane.
My 4 ton Trane was installed in 1994 and has never had a bolt or screw turned on it except to clean the coils. When the time comes, another Trane will replace it!

Trane.

+2, or American Standard (same company).
I had one that lasted 31 years, in Texas! Furthermore, I didn't replace it because it broke, it was working fine, but it's efficiency was so low that it made sense from an economic perspective to update it. Needles to say, I bought another one, even though I could have saved money on something else. My "new" Trane is now 11 years old and all that I have had to do to it is replace the condenser fan run capacitor. My builder also built the house next door and installed the identical Trane that I had, it lasted 32 years! The only problem that he had was a burned-out condenser fan motor at about 25 years old.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 007
Any recommendations?

A quality installation is just as important as the equipment. Some people tend to think HVAC work is an overpriced ripoff until they experience the pain of a poor quality installation.

We built this house in 1985 and had Trane heat pumps and air handlers put in by the best HVAC company I could find. Never a single issue with any of the equipment until our fall checkup last year, and the main floor air handler was leaking freon. The parts aren't available (and the repair doesn't make sense) on a 33 year old unit, so the main floor air handler and heat pump were replaced by new Trane equipment. The upstairs equipment will get replaced this fall, just because at 34 years old it makes sense.

It was replaced by the same company that originally installed it, and the lead tech that came out was serving his apprenticeship when it was originally installed.

Many Carrier outdoor condenser units are made in Collierville, TN.

There are a slew of brands out there; just sub-brands of the big names.

I recommend you shop around for price.

When you say you "need" one, is your current unit not working? That puts you in a bind and the sales guys have you over the proverbial barrel. However, if you just "want" to replace one, try waiting until the off season and the pricing may come down some.

There's no need for bells and whistles unless you want them. Cool is cool. Spending money will get you a bit more efficiency, but it also often comes with more expensive components which cost more at replacement time.

Generally if it ain't broke, I'd say don't fix it.

Originally Posted by gman2304
Trane.
My 4 ton Trane was installed in 1994 and has never had a bolt or screw turned on it except to clean the coils. When the time comes, another Trane will replace it!

And it will have nothing in common or be anything like your 1994 model.

I went with Carrier for my home. Pretty quiet, I like the smart Cor thermostat, it cools when hot, heats when cold, and does it cheaper than the 18 year old Trane it replaced. Can't ask for much more
Goodman is entry level, and I see them on every new build in my area, confirming a low price point, IMO. They must be good enough, a full Goodman system was installed in a 420k condo I looked at last year.

Cool is not cool.

The higher SEER units are not all about efficiency.

If your well off and want the utmost comfort you'd get a variable speed air conditioner. It can pull more humidity out of the air running it at a higher temperature.
Good if your wife is chilly at 75 where you want it and she'd rather have it at 78 which you cant sleep good at night as an example.

Many people feel comfortable at a higher temp if more humidity is removed.
People who have over sized systems are the ones that typically set the temp lower to stay comfortable as otherwise the system would kick on and off too much
not pulling humidity out very good.

Expensive? Yes. Not as reliable? Potentially.

My parents had such a Trane system installed and it's magic. The HVAC people also installed a whole house surge protector for them.

Variable and two-stage units dehumidify indoor air more effectively.

A friend of mine and my neighbor both have new Trane's and are disappointed in them. Also have read the same thing on hvac-talk.com that they aren't made like they used to be.

Kind of like Optima batteries these days.

The first thing I would do is lookup the model/serial number and check the size of your existing equipment.

If it is more/less than what you are being told you "need" I would currently ask why they are recommending a different size unit.

Assuming you're satisfied with the current unit I would see no reason to change the size.

If you currently have a pump for the condensate I would ask if the new install can be configured to eliminate the pump.

Also may want to investigate an electrostatic filter system....my dad loved his....

I agree with dnewton3 relative to need and pricing....

Had a Goodman installed last year bythe same guy that I bought a Luxaire system from 40 years ago. He's like me, old, but he still gets around and he said Goodmans are good if installed and sized properly. The compressor he removed was from 1988. Outside cabinet was still working fine but the evaporator was wore out. The Goodman is working great and sized right for our home at 3 ton. Electric bills are less than $100/mo. Can't really complain.

I also want to know why they want to replace a 13 year old unit. Possibly that is normal in that part of Florida, but if so please explain. Around here they go a lot longer than that.

Originally Posted by vwmaniaman
Had a Goodman installed last year bythe same guy that I bought a Luxaire system from 40 years ago. He's like me, old, but he still gets around and he said Goodmans are good if installed and sized properly. The compressor he removed was from 1988. Outside cabinet was still working fine but the evaporator was wore out. The Goodman is working great and sized right for our home at 3 ton. Electric bills are less than $100/mo. Can't really complain.

How does an evaporator wear out? It has no moving parts?

Our immediate family has had very good luck with Rheem and Carrier products. My mother's 3 YO Luxaire has already had more service calls than in my 15 and 9 years of two different Carriers. About half the houses in our neighborhood have Yorks and they are consistently LOUD. I asked one builder about Goodmans and he said he puts them in many of his new houses but he thought I would be happier with something else.

My best stroke of luck was asking another friend who builds high end houses who he used for HVAC and he gave me the name of a local company who he said he used exclusively. They did an excellent install for us at a very reasonable price. As others have commented, the installer is maybe more important than the hardware.

Originally Posted by Dan55
American Standard or Trane

In the last 4 years I bought both of these - and one Comfort Maker as replacements - all of them 16's and they all lowered the electric bill and the noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back