Vote: go with Heart or Brain ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as we've liked our Escape I wouldn't recommend those years. The back wheel wells rust badly and the 3.0 duratecs leak just about everywhere. Maybe the rust won't be a issue in NC but you see it on every one of those here.

2nd gen Pathfinder or similar. The early 2000s were a rough time for Nissan, but the Pathfinder was still an older 1990s design through 2004, so the quality issues had not quite affected it yet. I've seen quite a few with well over 200K miles on them.

Older truck based SUVs get a lot of hate on BITOG, but they offer a lot of bang for the buck if fuel economy isn't a huge concern. Before manufacturers figured out crossover blob cars, the SUVs they built were usually very capable and pretty reliable given their truck roots. It sounds like this will be an extra vehicle too...all the more reason to get what you really want. Life is too short for blob cars and what other people think you should want. I may be biased though given I have a 25 year old SUV with 250,000 miles and a drivetrain designed in the late 70s...I would not trade it for any Mercury Mariner in any condition.

Originally Posted by 97tbird
The 03 is a Pathfinder. Rough outside. Clean inside.
Sold by independent used car dealer. Apparently 4 owners but seller not 100% sure. Experion shows only registration history with a "lien incident" but no details and it doesn't show maintenance history like a carfax. It Was provided by dealer. guess I can pay $40 and get a carfax.

05 is a Mercury Mariner.
Sold by a Ford dealership. Same dealership where the vehicle was bought by first and only owner. Carfax shows full maintenance history

Wallet is ok with either.

Purchased at a Ford dealer traded for another Ford product. Dealer serviced. Previous owner must have liked the vehicle and gotten good service from both it and the dealer. Maintenance records. The winner.

What about a beat down Pathfinder is so appealing to your heart ? And that's not snark, but a serious question. If you knew me, you'd know I love my old dawgs and never sell and one that looks like it "needs" me gets my attention [and also the ones that everyone hates... like catnip to a cat ]. A good [censored] out and a wax job will fix anything !!

Last edited:
When you said Merc, I thought it was a Mercedes so had to go back to the original post...

You drive a BMW and are considering vehicles like Nissan or Mercury?

spankme2.gif

Originally Posted by Alfred_B

spankme2.gif

He also drives an Elantra.
smile.gif

Not everyone needs an expensive luxury vehicle as their second/beater car.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by Alfred_B

spankme2.gif

He also drives an Elantra.
smile.gif

Not everyone needs an expensive luxury vehicle as their second/beater car.

Well you can also buy older luxury vehicles as a second/beater car. Now that I think of it, there's the 2004-2005 Mercedes E-320. Not great, but not as bad as the 2003 year (still true, always stay away from first year models). They at least have a 15 year extended warranty on the fuel tank and 25 years on the SBC brakes. They're in the 4-6k range with mileage up to 125k. Some of these even have real leather and options like bixenons.

https://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/d/plainsboro-2004-mercedes-benz-e320/6906258751.html

https://worcester.craigslist.org/ctd/d/webster-2004-mercedes-benz-e320/6914626898.html

https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/cto/d/gloucester-2004-mercedes-320/6911939689.html

https://maine.craigslist.org/ctd/d/woolwich-2005-mercedes-benz-class-320/6925830777.html

https://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/ctd/d/marlborough-2005-mercedes-e320-awd/6912142009.html

Originally Posted by 01rangerxl
Do they have 4 low?

No just regular AWD. Never have any problems with mine, it's a longitudinal engine so has a decent rear/front split. You never really get stuck unless you're in 6-8 inches of unplowed snow so you don't really need it.

Thanks for the comments guys
To clarify and avoid confusion, what I am lookig for is:

A small/mid-size SUV-ish vehicle with some ground clearence and AWD or 4WD. (I don't need to off road or tow a lot BUT if there's is lockable 4WD modes, and not just auto/on-demand/slip'n grip type, i will consider it a bonus).
This is to REPLACE the 236k mile Elantra. This will be an extra car for bad weather days, and also some hiking trips, etc etc. Sort of a "new" extra/beater car but this time I need some utility and mild off road capability.
I don't NEED luxury items/features in it, BUT if it has them, again, I will take them.

So my small range of vehicles I am considering:

2001 - 2007 Ford Escape AWD (heavier and larger since 2007)
2001 - 2004 Nissan Pathfinder 4WD (way too big since 2005)
2003 - 2005 Subaru Forester XS or higher trim (avoiding the base model X), esp IF the head gaskets have already been replaced. (avoiding 2006 and after due to lame soccer mom facelift)

Wonder if I should add late years of Jeep Cherokee (NOT GRAND Cherokee) XJ(?) to this list.... thoughts? how comfortable are they for LONG trips?

(I briefly considered Suzuki Grand Vitaara and Isuzu Rodeo, but feels like too risky due to those manufacturers not operating in the US anymore.)

Last edited:

Wonder if I should add late years of Jeep Cherokee (NOT GRAND Cherokee) XJ(?) to this list.... thoughts? how comfortable are they for LONG trips?[/u]

May as well. I think the main thing to look out for is the cylinder head issue later ones had.

Not so sure about comfort on long trips. Probably depends on the condition of the suspension/steering and which seats it has. I've driven some where that would be NO, and others that might be okay. They are pretty small, light, and basic, which is why the Grand was introduced to better compete against other midsizes.

It's getting tough to find clean, stock ones with 4WD. Really nice ones will probably be priced to reflect that.

Originally Posted by 01rangerxl

Not so sure about comfort on long trips. Probably depends on the condition of the suspension/steering and which seats it has. I've driven some where that would be NO, and others that might be okay. They are pretty small, light, and basic, which is why the Grand was introduced to better compete against other midsizes.

It's getting tough to find clean, stock ones with 4WD. Really nice ones will probably be priced to reflect that.

Did they come with any different seats than the ones I almost always see on ads? the bare bone looking patterned cloth seats.

Yeah they're not cheap in good shape.
I drool over the 2 door models...

Funds are not a limiting factor, I think, but I think mostly i feel guilty about getting rid of the Elantra... that's prob why I am indecisive... I know it's stupid sounding but I may be emotionally attached to that car.

Last edited:
The seats with adjustable head rests are a little nicer. Limited and other trims had power leather seats available that were okay, but definitely not Grand Cherokee comfortable.

Originally Posted by atikovi
They are 16 or 14 year old SUV's that will need regular service to keep them on the road. And don't let low mileage put stars in your eyes. Lack of use will cause seals and gaskets to dry up and shrink. As soon as you start driving that thing regularly, it's going to start leaking all it's fluids, oil, transmission fluid, PS fluid, coolant, etc. You could spend thousands resealing just the engine.

This is the one the Heart wants.

Or;
Buy a 2005 less exciting...

And is this what people buying cars these days are thinking? An old SUV is what the Heart wants? Neither one is exciting to me. Maybe a droptop Mustang V8 or a hot Porsche, not an ordinary soccer mom SUV.

I already have a "fun" car; (check my sig)

So my small range of vehicles I am considering:

2001 - 2007 Ford Escape AWD (heavier and larger since 2007)

These seem to be pretty durable. I'd go with an FWD version along with the 2.5 4cyl engine for maximum reliability.

Is the 2.5L really more durable? Just asking because I've read that almost 75% of Escapes were sold with the 3.0L V6.
I do need some towing capacity, and as far as I know the 3.0L Ford has been around a lot longer and is a proven design.

Is the 2.5L really more durable? Just asking because I've read that almost 75% of Escapes were sold with the 3.0L V6.
I do need some towing capacity, and as far as I know the 3.0L Ford has been around a lot longer and is a proven design.

There are several members on BITOG with well over 200K on 2.5s in their Fusions....I think it's very durable....

Prob because it's a bit simpler in design. Since you mention towing then I'd prob opt for the V6 which is still reliable. Try to get FWD if possible since it's less complicated and less chance for parts to fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back