What size Maul should I buy ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to get a Maul to split some wood. I will probably get it from Home Depot.
1) What brand should I get ?
2) Wood or Fiberglass handle ?
3) What weight...8 lbs, 4lbs...3.5 lbs ?

I would not go less than 8lbs( if there is such a thing).
You can swing an 8lb many more times be fore tiring than a 12lb.

But a 12 does well with striking a wedge. Really depends on how much you need to swing it, and how strong you are.

Wanted a US made maul; looked like no engineering has gone into most in 150 years.

Ended up getting a Fiskar IsoCore @ wally world. Concave splitting blade; Significantly less effort to split wood; Joe Power would say "You
will thank me later" I'm serious

Once branded "the light sabre of wood splitting"

Last edited:
What size and species of wood? And are you a beast? 6 or 8lb collins axe with a pull through plastic/fibreglass is a life time tool IMO. Wood handles don't like too many over strikes, and fibreglass/plastic handles with rubber poured into the axe head to hold them on are a joke.
I also have a 36" fiskars x27 splitting maul thats great in easy splitting wood and rarely gets stuck in big hardwood but can't split a 20" hard maple round in a whack or two like the 6lb collins can.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
I have a 8lb sledge a 12lb sledge a 14lb maul and some splitting wedges... depends on the wood and personal needs/preference.

I would think an 8lb with a good shape(not all created equal) would be sufficient without beating yourself up.

maybe
https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-Garden-Iso-Core-Maul/dp/B014M9LQGG/

There is an old school metal handle 12lb maul that looks pretty good but I dont think they split as well as the first type I linked.. and more effort needed.

https://www.amazon.com/Ironton-Heav...=1562463589&s=lawn-garden&sr=1-7

Originally Posted by IndyIan
What size and species of wood? And are you a beast? 6 or 8lb collins axe with a pull through plastic/fibreglass is a life time tool IMO. Wood handles don't like too many over strikes, and fibreglass/plastic handles with rubber poured into the axe head to hold them on are a joke.
I also have a 36" fiskars x27 splitting maul thats great in easy splitting wood and rarely gets stuck in big hardwood but can't split a 20" hard maple round in a whack or two like the 6lb collins can.

[Linked Image]

I also have an X27, and find it works well for splitting rounds of pine. I haven't owned a heavy maul to make a comparison.

Heated my 1900 sq,ft home with wood for 7 years. Bought a Chopper Maul with the levers built in the head. Never needed a log splitter. Don't let anyone stand too close and get that piece you are splitting up off the ground onto a large stump. couple of whacks on a large piece and you are ready for the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back