Tacoma rear sill

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will never understand why anyone would take their vehicle to a "quick lube" (i.e., Jiffy Lube, etc., etc.) place for service.

Between my family member, co-worker, and a ton of other people who have reported stripped stripped drain plugs, missing drain plugs (which resulted in blown engines, etc.) and the list goes on.

Ed

Get to a real mechanic, get paperwork indicting quick lube, go to quick lube, don't leave until you get a check.

Seal or sill? Not sure what a sill would be in the axle, not familiar with that term...

I'm guessing coincidence. I mean, it's pretty hard to get oil above the fill line. I *think* Toyota tends to not use gear lube for the hub side of the axle (maybe gear lube gets over there, not sure). Maybe they drained and didn't fill, but that'd make for not a seal failure but other bigger failures.

Maybe it was left empty, got hot real quick while driving, but the breather tube was somehow pinched, and it then blew out a seal?
21.gif
I'd say, check the fill plug, if it's stuck then I bet pulling the drain would reveal nothing... but it's a quick lube shop, good chance neither is turning again.

Unless you got a aftermarket diff cover, how does one over fill a differential? I mean in most vehicle the fill hole is the self leveling hole. Even in the case of diffs that have you fill to a level a fingers width below the fill hole line, even over filling until it comes out the fill hole still is usually not enough to over fill a diff to the point of causing damage.

Unless they filled not on a level surface, my speculation is just bad coincidence.

Sorry to hear that. I've got to think it was related. I honestly believe I'd prefer to NOT change it than to take it to a quickie lube place. I'm not trying to pile on and make you feel bad, but I was burned a few times in my younger days and swore off those types of places. They have a bad reputation for good reason. :-(

I've changed the rear diff twice on my 2002 Tacoma with 230K miles on it and it is still going strong. I changed it for the first time at around 130K miles and put in Mobil 1. A few weeks ago (at around 230K miles--100K mile interval) I changed it again(using Valvoline SynPower--because it was on sale), but what came out looked so good after 100K miles, I don't think I'll bother changing it again regardless of how long I keep the truck. It wasn't the black I was expecting to see--it still had a honey colored look to it. All that to say, you can probably even get by without changing the diff oil unless you regularly go offroading and drive through creeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back