High efficiency high capacity filter for 2ZR-FE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello BITOG, I am about to get some Valvoline Restore in an attempt to clean carbon build up out of my piston rings to stop or reduce my oil consumption. I had a thread in the PCMO forum about it, but I have one more question for you all.

What filter should I be using for this service? High efficiency is an absolute must, and I'd prefer high capacity so I can only do 1 filter change halfway through the interval, if you all think I can get away with that. It takes a cartridge filter, and I am having a hard time finding a filter with published efficiency ratings for my application, and frankly there are a lot of folks on here who know way more about filters than I do. Thanks in advance!

If you want high efficiency and high holding capacity, then Fram Ultra if they make one for your vehicle. If not, then see if they have a Toyota TRD filter (it's full synthetic high efficiency too) for that engine.

Looks like they do, it's the XG10358. Given it's rated for 20k miles of normal usage, do you think I could get away with only one filter change 2k into a 5k interval, knowing a bunch of carbon will be coming out of the rings? Can the rings really let go of 20k miles worth of dirt in 2k? I feel like they can't, but what I feel isn't worth much!

Originally Posted by Ponchinizo
2009 Toyota corolla, 170k miles and consuming roughly a quart every 2k. Usual fill is PP 5w-20.
How long have you been using that oil in your Corolla? What other oils (if any) did it get earlier?

2009 was the worst year, I gather, before they changed to different rings in the Corolla. Many later Prii (which have essentially the same engine) seem to have the same problem. Not mine, so far.

Since about 130k, when I took over maintenance. It was my brothers 60k-120k, and got 5w-20 bulk conventional, sometimes for too long and run low, which is what I think left me in situation I'm in now.

It's a great little car overall, only other non maintenance work has been an alternator and water pump in the last 30k. I'm hoping this service clears up the oil consumption, I'd like to see at least 300k out of this engine. I did the PCV at 160k so i know thats not it, and whatever small leaks it had have stopped since I put it on a diet of HM oils, mostly PP and some Maxlife.

Efficiency won't matter inthis case.

If you are trying to : "attempt to clean carbon build up out of my piston rings to stop or reduce my oil consumption" ...

then the stuff you will be dislodging will be too small to get trapped by the filter, but will get flushed out with the oil change.

Definitely go with a synthetic fiber oil filter, anyway. (Fram Ultra, Royal Purple, Donaldson, Amsoil) Good luck!

Originally Posted by Linctex
Efficiency won't matter inthis case.

If you are trying to : "attempt to clean carbon build up out of my piston rings to stop or reduce my oil consumption" ...

then the stuff you will be dislodging will be too small to get trapped by the filter, but will get flushed out with the oil change.

Definitely go with a synthetic fiber oil filter, anyway. (Fram Ultra, Royal Purple, Donaldson, Amsoil) Good luck!

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...line-blue-restore-1000-miles#Post4990947
It looks like this user had a fair amount of crud caught in the filter, and Cummins reccomends a very high capacity filter for this service https://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/fleetguard-cummins-lf14000nn/lube-filter-p-v52-lf14000nn

Based on these things I assumed a lot of that dissolved carbon will be caught in the filter, although that Fram Ultra is more efficient at a lower micron rating (99% @ 20 microns vs 99% @ 30 for the fleetguard), so that'll probably be what I go with. The fleetguard says it has 100g holding capacity, but I'll be doing a filter change partway through so I'm less worried about capacity than efficiency.

It's doing to be hard to do engine repair with oils and filters. Maybe it is the valve stem seals, do the downhill smoke test. 5w-30 instead of 20 and a Supertech cartridge filter made by Champ labs for $3 IMO would work as well as any. Or the Toyota OE.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
It's doing to be hard to do engine repair with oils and filters. Maybe it is the valve stem seals, do the downhill smoke test. 5w-30 instead of 20 and a Supertech cartridge filter made by Champ labs for $3 IMO would work as well as any. Or the Toyota OE.

No smoke under any conditions, so I do not believe my valve stem seals are leaking. (yet!) You're right it's no substitute for a proper rebuild, but I am on a very tight budget and a rebuild does not fit into that unfortunately. If this does the trick I oughta be in good shape for the next year or two, then it'll probably be time for a new timing chain and I should be able to ride happily up to 300k+ miles. Here's hoping.

Like always, thank you everyone for your responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back