2014 WRX T-6 5W-40 2900 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my yearly oil change sample. Disappointed that my silver is going up. I'm 52 and drive pretty conservative but do like to get spirited here and there.I do have an oil temp and pressure gage (installed at about 8000 miles) and there hasn't been any change there.
Cold idle 103 PSI
hot idle 19-21 PSI
hot cruise 70MPH. 83 PSI
oil temp runs around 215-220 (regular driving)
seen it as high as maybe 240 85mph 95f outside
I'm running a COBB AP Stage 2 93 octane (report says Stage 1 that's incorrect) and fine knock learn is 0 and feedback knock is the occasional 1-4,2.8 which I believe to be false noise.
I did install a Amsoil bypass filter at 12000 miles and haven't changed that filter yet which is about a quart Don't know if not changing the bypass filter has any factor in the silver it was 3 last time. I kinda want to get another and cut this one open and look inside. I always cut open all my filters and they look nice and clean.
I can add some pics of the filter when I go out to the garage later.
What do you all think?
Thanks Mark

Last edited:
[Linked Image]

I'd quit using Rotella in your WRX. That oil got popular in the rex community by a herd mentality.
That silver is concerning in my opinion. I recommended using an oil that meets the Porsche A40 spec.

I had an 07' WRX. I put a Perrin downpipe on it and a Cobb AP stage 2 tune. The Cobb AP stage 2 tune didn't feel right. I put a Perrin stage 2 tune on and it was much better. I
thought I could better the Perrin tune and had my car tuned on an AWD dyno by a Accesstuner Pro tuner. The tuner said they couldn't beat the Perrin map.
I don't know if Cobb tunes are better on the later model WRX's. I had 136K on my WRX when I sold it. No engine or drivetrain problems ever. The most reliable car I ever had minus the
rotors and brake pads wearing fast.

I'm surprised the level of Calcium is so low compared to T4 oil.

Lots of oils on the net are ‘herd mentality' by certain car forums.

This is the old CJ-4 /SM formula. I bought a bunch of it when I herd it was changing. As far as changing oil I suppose I can dump this and try an oil with A40 Porche spec. Kinda surprised to hear Skyactiv say to switch. This oil has been used for many years in turboed EJ's.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
I'd quit using Rotella in your WRX. That oil got popular in the rex community by a herd mentality.
That silver is concerning in my opinion. I recommended using an oil that meets the Porsche A40 spec.

I had an 07' WRX. I put a Perrin downpipe on it and a Cobb AP stage 2 tune. The Cobb AP stage 2 tune didn't feel right. I put a Perrin stage 2 tune on and it was much better. I
thought I could better the Perrin tune and had my car tuned on an AWD dyno by a Accesstuner Pro tuner. The tuner said they couldn't beat the Perrin map.
I don't know if Cobb tunes are better on the later model WRX's. I had 136K on my WRX when I sold it. No engine or drivetrain problems ever. The most reliable car I ever had minus the
rotors and brake pads wearing fast.

Thanks Skyactiv, I think I will dump this fill of T-6 and get some Castrol 5W-40 I'll have to check but I believe it is A40 spec.

I have used Valvoline 5W-30 since new up to the 15200 mark. Made the switch to T6 at 15200. This report is the 3rd change onT6. I didn't do any UOA on the Valvoline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back