Do you think most cars need a coolant flush anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the car is still on OEM or a compatible coolant and there isn't junk coming out, a D/F is enough. For cars on traditional green, a cooling system flush every 5 years isn't a bad idea. I have one car on G-05 I converted over that's due for fresh coolant. I can't check easily for silicate drop out but I assume having an organic acid there helps keep the silicate level low enough not to precipitate but high enough to protect.

I guess this is why the movement to the 50/50 mixtures on the shelves.
smile.gif

Haven't done a flush since the early 80's. Always did drain and refills and there was no need to flush anytime.

I drop the lower radiator hose and fill it back up with DEXCOOL 100% ( GM cars ) . Be sure to get the air out of the system .

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
I drop the lower radiator hose and fill it back up with DEXCOOL 100% ( GM cars ) . Be sure to get the air out of the system .

You run 100% antifreeze?

Originally Posted by ZZman
With coolants and materials being better now do you think a coolant flush is really needed anymore?

I can't tell you the last time I saw a really bad radiator.

In all my 2000 and newer cars I drain and fill every 50-60k and they've never had issues over 15 years of me owning them. I'd say the only time I'd do a flushing detergent thing would be if the coolant looked weird, I saw chunks floating, or I was having weird cooling issues that couldn't be explained by head gaskets, thermostats, or water pumps.

I always just drain and fill the radiator before the maximum stated coolant life in the manual, like the RX and Honda which claim 10yrs, so I just d&f every 5 years which is about half the total capacity, then burp and motor on

When I got my 94 Ranger a few years ago I flushed it with a garden hose because it was "muddy." Haven't done that since. I usually just drain & fill every couple/few years and call it good. I know my 2002 Ranger has never been flushed in its life and the system is spotless.

Originally Posted by dwcopple
JEL01 said:
then burp and motor on

How?[/quote/]

Can depend on the car
On the Honda in the sig, for example, I open the radiator cap and idle it to temp with the heat on max and let it run until the fans turn on twice, that allows the coolant to burp all the air, this is how the service manual wants it done.

Tundra is pretty similar, idle until good and hot with cap off and heat on until no more bubbles appear

If you want to drop the lower radiator hose and replace most of the coolant at once, I highly recommend this system, it made my last coolant change refill painless, plus gave me the reassurance that there was no leaks. You need an air compressor though.

UView 550000 Airlift Cooling System Leak Checker and Airlock Purge Tool Kit
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
With timing belt cars.. whomever is doing the work usually does the water pump and a fluid drop is done.

And this is all that you need on these cars. The timing belt will outlast the coolant!

I usually just drain the radiator and then do a refill. On my Mustang I had the dealer do it for the first time since the car was six years old in Feb. and I didn't feel like messing with it and it was already there for an airbag recall.

Last edited:
Funny this is brought up.

The tank on the radiator in my truck went out over the weekend. I replaced the whole thing yesterday, but it looks like the system needs flushed again since the old radiator looked pretty cruddy. The PO did a half assed job switching from Dexcool to traditional green so I'm guessing this is the issue.

I thought my citric acid flush as well as a full garden hose flush complete with removing the block plugs last summer was enough, but apparently not. A completely new radiator will be a nice place to start.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back