05 Camry Key Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased an 05 Carmy (USA built with a build date of 2/05) and it only came with one aftermarket chipped key and one Toyota remote. A friend loaned me a CK-100 V46.02 Auto Key Programmer which indicates on its compatibility list it works with this generation of Carmy. I did some reading online and watched a few YouTube videos however I was not able to find a video specific to an 05 Carmy. I went to the dealer today and had a new Toyota chipped key cut and came home to see if I could program the new key with the CK-100.

I went through the menus and selected 03-06 Carmy USA. Followed the prompts and after putting the key in the ignition and turning it on (not starting the car) receive a message indicating "ECU not found". Tried this several times without success. Then I selected the 02-04 Carmy USA option. I am able to go through the menus to the point it will allow me to add a new master key, erase all keys, clear codes, and reset the immobilizer. It does not provide an option to "add a new key" as it does on some of the newer model Toyotas based on the vidoes that are available. I am hesitant to proceed in the event adding a new master key and/or erasing all the keys while using the prior model year will leave the car inoperable. Some of the info found online references similar issues (Honda) and going back a prior generation allowed the keys to be programed.

Any guidance/suggestions would be appreciated.

Are you a gambling man????

I'd take it to a locksmith who is setup to do this.

They will be cheaper than the dealer, and if they goof it up - - they will have to make it right.

Consider getting a mini-VCI cable and Techstream for $15 from ebay. It has other useful toyota-specific functions as well, like if you ever have to bleed ABS brakes.

I am not familiar with camry key programming, but was able to do a prius key with no computer at all and a procedure called the "chicken dance" which involves opening the door a sequence of times, pushing fob buttons, etc. Youtube is no help?

Thanks for the responses.

Linctex-

Are you a gambling man???? Not really. Hence the reason I posted the question hoping the shared knowledge of the BITOG community would be able to provide some guidance. I can't be the first person who is trying to program a 2005 Camry key with CK-100.

I did call several of the locksmiths in the area. Not many to choose from and the going rate seems to be in $150 per key. I would like to have 4 keys (1 master, two for everyday use, and one to use as a spare)

eljefino

The videos on You Tube are no help. Cars with the immobilizer feature (SE/XLE) have a small red light on the dash which allows keys to be programmed without the use of machine using a similar version of the chicken dance. My LE Camry does not have this feature. Thanks for the tip on the Techstream. I saw this mentioned in a couple places while looking for info on programming the keys. Bleeding the brakes is on the future to do list so it would be helpful to have around.

There is a procedure for adding a key that involves opening and closing doors and turning the ignition on and off in a specific sequence. This works on my 2005 Sienna and should be the same for the camry:

1. Open drivers door. All other doors closed but unlocked.
2. Insert the master key into the ignition and remove (without turning) 5 times leaving the key in the ignition on the 5th time.
3. Close and open the drivers side door 6 times leaving the door open on the sixth time.
4. The security light should illuminate solid red on the dash and stay lit. (This is how u know u are in program mode)
5. Remove the master key and immediately insert the newly purchased unprogramed key (do no turn)
6. Leave key in ignition for approx 60-80 seconds( security light will blink during this process). The security light will stop blinking. After the light stops blinking remove the new key.
7. Immediately insert the (old) master key and turn key to ON position then turn off and remove key.

My car does not have a security light which is why this procedure will not work.

This may be a good time to mention that my 02 base model camry had a number of keys that worked including a boring brass one.

Have you tried the second key without having done any programming? Does it work?

Techstream has a main screen that shows all the computers it can talk to over the network. If you don't have ABS you won't see its computer. Same with immobilizer. I think they weren't 100% equipped yet.

I asked when I was at the dealer and they confirmed by VIN the car requires a chipped key. They ended up having to cut the key by VIN as the key I have was too warn to make a good duplicate. My SIL has an 02 LE Camry and it takes a standard key.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back