7.1 earthquake!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dr. Lucy Jones keeping busy this weekend.
Caltech reporting it's ripping in the NW direction.
(I doubt you have any damage.)

Originally Posted by spackard
Dr. Lucy Jones keeping busy this weekend.
Caltech reporting it's ripping in the NW direction.
(I doubt you have any damage.)

Lots of ppl on FB in my area showing damage. I have a brick wall that's been leaning for 10+ years,a water tank on stilts and a cheap above ground pool that I'm 100% sure fell over and dumped 3800 gallons out.

A couple of youtube live cams that caught it.
Virtual Railfan Barstow, the west cam, at 20:20:30.
100 miles from epicenter. Didn't look like much.

Tehachapi Depot Railroad Museum - Tehachapi Live Train Cam 2
Looked worse there.

It's still available on rewind (each cam has 12 hours on rewind).
Trains have been stopped, and inspections are ongoing. Gradually allowing them to move again.

Thinking of OP, when the first one hit I immediately went to google maps to see how far from Ridgecrest to Apple Valley, got about 90 miles. Didn't see anything posted then. Second one significantly worse than first. Hoping everyone safe out there.

Originally Posted by Chris142
... and a cheap above ground pool that I'm 100% sure fell over and dumped 3800 gallons out.

No poster questioned this? I'd like to know the backstory.

Otherwise, I hope damage is minimal on your property.

I actually was in the L.A. area June 28, 1992 and experienced the 7.3 Landers earthquake. I remember it like it was yesterday.

Originally Posted by Kestas
Originally Posted by Chris142
... and a cheap above ground pool that I'm 100% sure fell over and dumped 3800 gallons out.

No poster questioned this? I'd like to know the backstory.

Otherwise, I hope damage is minimal on your property.

There's a whole other thread on the woes due to this pool...

Actually if it's a rubber sided cheapie with an inflatable top, I doubt it could fall over. If it is a hard sided type put together like a barrel... well...

I felt the one on the 4th. It honestly felt like I had a few too much to drink which was weird since I haven't had a drink in a long time. Then I saw the hanging light swinging back and forth. I walked outside (which you are NOT supposed to do, but safety first) and looked over the fence at the neighbor's pool and the water was splashing out of it.

The one last night I was at In N Out Burger. I think it hit while I was moving my car to a parking spot because when I got out of hte car there were a ton of FB tags and text messages from people saying they felt it. My friend is in Las Vegas and said the toilet was splashing up on him.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
I walked outside (which you are NOT supposed to do
Why not, it seems safer than inside?
21.gif
They don't teach that kind of stuff in school, just the fire/tornado stuff.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
Originally Posted by bdcardinal
I walked outside (which you are NOT supposed to do
Why not, it seems safer than inside?
21.gif
They don't teach that kind of stuff in school, just the fire/tornado stuff.

Power lines and buildings can fall. Also there is the very real risk, although minor, of the ground opening up. I was between my house and the neighbor's, less than 10 feet apart and realized that if mine went down I was hosed. Mine is a 2 story while theirs is a single. They are on vacation in China so they didn't get to experience the fun. The neighbors on the other side are in Ohio so I sent him a FB message saying his house was still there.

Was driving through I5 (probably around Lost Hill) at 3pm on 7/4 and I though the road was unusually rough, but didn't realize it was a quake until I stopped at around 6pm.

Didn't feel the aftershock in Escondido on 7/5 though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back