Ac compressor electical problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 94 ford ranger with a nonfunctioning ac compressor. This is because the connector to the compressor does not get voltage. Im assuming that would be because there is a ground somewhere along the way that is rerouting it. I was wondering if there is a way to directly wire it to the battery with a toggle switch, is this a dangerous method to give it power. I need the rest of the electrical system to work more than i need the a/c but if there is an easy way to get it working again it would go with that. Whatre some suggestions?

Check for power on one side of the Low Pressure Switch.....If you have enough pressure & the switch is good, You'll have power on both sides of the switch.

The Low Pressure Switch is located on the Accumulator.

however i have not done the switch, i am intrigued with what the low pressure cycling switch does, i am not very experienced in ac systems.

It cycles the clutch off @40 psi and back on @20 psi. If it's out of refrigerant it will be below 20 psi and the clutch won't come on. When you jumped it and the clutch cam on did the AC get cold? If it did the switch is bad.if it did not it's out of refrigerant.

Last edited:
so if when the compressor is jumped, the ac is cold, that means the switch is bad? i do not recall the air coming in being cold. I know that it has 32 psi of refrigerant in it.

Upon your input i did a little research and you are correct on that. I will fill it more tomorrow and get back on how that works out. Thank you

If it's close to being charged the presure will be close to ambient temp. If it's less,much less like yours is(32psi on an 88 degree day) it's out of gas for all practical purposes.

Originally Posted by Chris142
If it's close to being charged the presure will be close to ambient temp. If it's less,much less like yours is(32psi on an 88 degree day) it's out of gas for all practical purposes.

Thank you kindly, Sir - for your help

Look at the area behind the compressor clutch. If that is oily you have a bad deal on the front of the compressor. Look for oily areas on all the lines and junctions. Add some coolant with dye in it and use a black light after sunsetand look for areas that glow bright green. My 1990 Ranger had the bad compressor and O rings at the condenser.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back