just bought a 3.3 highlander, about to do OC

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I bought it 2 weeks ago and I am really liking it!

I has a "fresh" OC according to the sticker, but I have no idea whats in it. Im guessing budget stuff.

I am coming up on 140k tomorrow and like to perform my OCs on easy number intervals.

i believe it calls for 5w30, but since Im not doing any towing or whatever I think I can switch to 5w20 and still be safe. Ill run a Fram XG3614 and run that straight up for its 20k rating, but oil Ill probably change at lesser intervals.

Ive been using SuperTech HM 0w20 in my Yaris for 10k intervals and seems fine. So I might do the same interval on the Highlander.

Any suggestions or does everything sound good?

Its a runabout, sees about 25miles a day at least. If I can sqeak out average 20+mpg ill be happy

Do you do rebates? Is the Rotella gas truck one still going on?
If so, might be a better bang for your buck.
If you're like me and dont really deal with rebates, ST HM is pretty stout oil.
The Toyotas gonna take whatever you give it and be happy, I'd find the most affordable SN oil at the time and roll with it.

Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
The Toyotas gonna take whatever you give it and be happy, I'd find the most affordable SN oil at the time and roll with it.

im too impatient for rebates. I like to walk in to my local Waltuckey and roll out lol

Originally Posted by malibuguy79
Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis

im too impatient for rebates. I like to walk in to my local Waltuckey and roll out lol

I hear ya on that one.

QSGB is around 15$ for 5 quarts as well, it's a fan favorite amongst a large group of people around here. The 5w30 is amongst the best conventionals in my opinion, 5K ocis will allow you to use the ultra 4x before changing as well.

Again, whatever you use the vehicle is gonna like it. It's all up to you.

Im wondering using Pennzoil Ultra for the first OCI to help with a clean out, and just use like a TG filter initially.

I should look in the oil fill and see if its clean or not...

FWIW I found out that Toyota never approved the 10K OCI for this engine, if you mean the 3.3L V6 (3MZ-FE) that is in both cars in my sig (not sure what the later size engine that replaced it is). I was told by my local Toyota dealer that 10K on synthetic was ok, but this was not the official Toyota recommendation, and I did call 2-3 other local dealers that insisted that even with synthetic, I needed to stick to 5K OCIs. I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but just giving you something you might want to take into account.

EDIT: I am running 7K OCIs with 5w20 full synthetic, I might switch to 0w20 when I run out of 5w20.

Last edited:
We had a 3.3L in our Sienna, I personally wouldn't use a 5W-20 when it calls for 5W-30. Some 20WT oils are on the thicker side but why lower your hot viscosity?

I would make sure the timing belt service was done, I'm almost positive all the 3.3L engines used a belt, correct me if I'm wrong.

Toyota recommended 5k OCIs for my Yaris and I useD to do 15k on Amsoil and on 0w20 vs the 5w30 im supposed to run. But I dont drive 110miles a day anymore.

I feel doing 10k should not be a problem with synthetics in just about any normal vehicle.

If i was using it hard like for towing or heavy loads id run the 30wt or even heavier oil but Im simply hauling my 10mon old daughter to her grandmothers and going to work. I think the thinner oil will be just fine.

The timing belt is due to be changed in about 20k. So I have room to breathe there.

Thats a toyota... My family has had one of just about everything in their lineup and i am the only one who properly maintained mine. My 94 camry made it to 320k miles before an electrical problem totaled it. My cousin has a highlander with the 3.3 that went anywhere from 7-12k intervals with whatever the service shops would put in it. It sits at 230000 miles trouble free. As far as i know, that is all the maintenance that has been done to it. My mothers past two camrys (one i4 one v6) have both cracked 300k with around 6-7k on conventional. Although not all of those are your exact specification, i have never seen toyotas be super needy. But if you plan on keeping it until the wheels fall off. Doing the recommended 5k would probably make that engine indestructible. One of the times where whatever you want to do with the 5-20 and interval would probably be OK, but the car could probably go a whole lot further with the recommended 5w-30 and 5k intervals. And keep the timing belt in good repair.

Also as for oil i used nothing but supertech full synthetic 5w30 in my camry and never had a problem w 5k changes, still smelled/felt fairly fresh.

Originally Posted by malibuguy79
Toyota recommended 5k OCIs for my Yaris and I useD to do 15k on Amsoil and on 0w20 vs the 5w30 im supposed to run. But I dont drive 110miles a day anymore.

I feel doing 10k should not be a problem with synthetics in just about any normal vehicle.

If i was using it hard like for towing or heavy loads id run the 30wt or even heavier oil but Im simply hauling my 10mon old daughter to her grandmothers and going to work. I think the thinner oil will be just fine.

The timing belt is due to be changed in about 20k. So I have room to breathe there.

After reading this above, sounds like you already had your mind made-up, when you started this thread.
Enjoy your new-to-you ride and hope those 10K OCIs on Supertech work. I will stick to much less.

Why switch to 5w20 when 5w30 is recommended?

I've used 5w30 for the entire 163k miles on our Highlander with no issues.
Find QSUD or Pennzoil Platinum at Walmart in 5w30 and move on. The XG3614 is a good filter for that ride.

A few thoughts based on experience:

Change the PCV valve. Toyota dealers claim it never needs changing but that's b.s. You will have to order an OEM one online or through a dealer (
Change the gear lube in the front and rear differentials if you have an AWD. Don't skimp. Use a GL-5 full syn 75w-90 gear lube.

I would suggest OCIs at 6-7k based on what I saw when I replaced the front valve cover gasket at 155k. No sludge, but some BITOGERs suffered intense seizures when they saw varnish (at least they thought they did). I used Mobil 1 for the first 60k miles with 7.5k OCIs, followed by other "premium" full synthetic oils for the next 35k or so, then Pennzoil Ultra for the last 60k plus.

The Highlander is a decent ride. Good luck.

And using an x-20 weight oil is in no way going to improve your gas mileage with the Highlander.

140k miles on a vehicle that calls for 5w30 and you want to go down in weight not up, this is the first time I ever heard of this strategy. Usually high mileage oils go the opposite way, as in up in viscosity. I hope it works out, toyo's are built pretty forgiving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back