1998 Accord v6 trans oil better than dw-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is for the 2000 Acura RL I keep going on about.

When the time comes for trannie service would you stick with DW-1 or go for something "better"?

A 20 year old unit with 161K might be happier with "Honda's Own"?

What do you think? Thanks again

Lots of Honda mechanics swear by Valvoline maxlife.

I'm personally comfortable with Idemitsus matching friction blends and am wary of universal formulas.

UD

Originally Posted by UncleDave
Lots of Honda mechanics swear by Valvoline maxlife.

I'm personally comfortable with Idemitsus matching friction blends and am wary of universal formulas.

UD

The closest thing Valvoline has to DW-1 is actually their "Import Multi Vehicle" ATF...NOT their max life universal formula.

I agree about sticking with Idemitsu H+, they are the OEM for Honda DW-1 as well so while the formula's aren't exactly the same they are so close that you'll never have issues using it.

Originally Posted by AC1DD
The closest thing Valvoline has to DW-1 is actually their "Import Multi Vehicle" ATF...NOT their max life universal formula.

You should inform Valvoline of their error since the PI sheet on the Valvoline website recommends Maxlife Multi-Vehicle ATF for DW1, but the sheet for Import Multi-Vehicle ATF does not.

The problem I have with the stated coverage of Valvoline MaxLife for DW-1 is the disparate chemistry between the two as discussed here:

DW-1 VOA

Originally Posted by MolaKule
The problem I have with the stated coverage of Valvoline MaxLife for DW-1 is the disparate chemistry between the two as discussed here:

DW-1 VOA

What about the Idemitsu product?

What is deficient in the Honda ATF-DW1 formulation that the Lubgard Red corrects? Should I be using it in my old Accord?

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by MolaKule

DW-1 VOA

What about the Idemitsu product?

Is there a VOA somewhere of the Idemitsu fluid that is designated as DW-1?

Thanks KS.

Here is a retested report of a reputed UOA Honda DW-1 which is fairly close to the VOA's of Honda DW-1s:

Amended report showing correct flashpoint. Thanks for the notes about the new Honda ATF you're
using. It looks like it's working pretty well so far in your Civic's transmission. Our universal averages show
typical wear for this type of transmission after ~18,500 miles of oil use, and most of your wear metals are
reading at a fraction of those levels, so we don't see any signs of problems developing. The TAN was 1.6,
not too acidic. No problems here.

SAMPLE UNIVERSAL AVERAGES
ALUMINUM 6 30
CHROMIUM 0 1
IRON 20 65
COPPER 6 15
LEAD 2 2
TIN 0 1
MOLYBDENUM 1 1
NICKEL 0 0
MANGANESE 1 1
SILVER 0 0
TITANIUM 0 0
POTASSIUM 0 3
BORON 226 221
SILICON 6 11
SODIUM 0 8
CALCIUM 362 343
MAGNESIUM 222 167
PHOSPHORUS 26 112
ZINC 278 282
BARIUM 1 3

Values Should Be
sus@210 44.9 43-51
CsT@100 5.68 5.1-7.9
FP 340 >335
Water 0 Insolubles 0 TAN 1.6

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2590411/1

The Aisin and Idemitsu fluids are more in line with other Step-Shift chemistries whereas the Honda DW-1 is more in line with Auitomated Manual fluids.

Last edited:
I reviewed the Valvoline MaxLife ATF PI sheet.

It says MaxLife ATF is recommended for the following Honda Fluids:

Honda ATF/Accura ATF-Z1, DW-1 (except in CVTs)

Honda ATF Type 3.1

Interestingly, I don't see any recommended coverage for the Aisin DW1 or Idemitsu Type H.

I think someone needs to send the DW-1 analysis to Valvoline and have them explain how MaxLife can apply to Honda DW-1.

I researched this to death. Here is my take.

The pre 2010ish Honda vehicles were designed around ATF Z1 which is a 7cSt@100c fluid. This makes me automatically want to run the older thicker ATF fluids over the newer LV fluids. The Acura forums seem to love Redline in the Honda's, so I have been running Redline D4. It's pretty reasonably priced when buying 12 packs on Amazon.

Lots of folks report good results with Maxlife, but that is a LV fluid and I prefer to run the thicker ATF in my 2010 Odyssey which came from the factory with Z1.

Shear stability is a key component however, and is a main feature of modern fluids such as dexron VI. You cannot just compare the starting viscosities to make a valid comparison, you have to take into account how the fluid behaves in use. Maxlife is more shear stable than some other fluids as described by Valvoline. Not taking this into account will lead to incorrect conclusions.

I second that Redline D4. I've never used it but I do love their gear oil and mtf.

For a real upgrade though you need a jug of Rural King ATF and a bottle of lubegard hfm (black bottle)
grin.gif

Maxlife is good stuff. You can use it with no problems
smile.gif

Another very good choice is Castrol Full Synthetic ATF. It goes on sale a few times a year at the major parts stores for $5/qt

My own thoughts on the Idemitsu were that, it has been said in the past that they make the Honda fluid, even though their DW1 'replacement' doesn't analyze the same as DW1 I trust that they know what they're doing. That being said, I'm using it in my V6 transmissions without issue, the 2000 Accord is being switched over to Maxlife. Reason being is that it has been recently rebuilt by a well regarded Honda Transmission shop who I had a long conversation with. His opinion is that more important than what kind of fluid, is clean fluid. I wish I'd have taken a picture of the bulk barrel of fluid he uses in his rebuilds, but it is not Honda DW1, but rather a multi-use brew (I just can't remember the name offhand).

Originally Posted by Fsharp
I second that Redline D4. I've never used it but I do love their gear oil and mtf.

For a real upgrade though you need a jug of Rural King ATF and a bottle of lubegard hfm (black bottle)
grin.gif

I think that is a bad choice since the LubeGard Black severely modifies the friction characteristics of the fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back