Downsides of an exotic daily

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by avacado11

You don't see Maseratis at all around here. There's maybe 3 total running around in my city. So I'm not going crazy here lol

But we all assume it's always good attention. What about attracting thieves? Been at the same house for 15+ years. Had BMW's, had Mercedes in my driveway. Get a Maserati and then had 2 random guys come walking up asking if I need my house cleaned. Apparently they were only going to homes with nice cars trying to scope out the homes...

I don't advertise my toys to thieves. I live in a lightly traveled neighborhood where most houses are set back from the road, and lots of properties have gates. So there aren't a lot of people ostensibly selling door-to-door (or more likely casing the neighborhood) as they simply can't get to the front door of a house without hopping a fence. If I notice a vehicle following me that I don't recognize as a neighbor, I'll drive past my driveway and around my neighborhood until the car stops following. This isn't just paranoia, as a couple neighbors have been followed (they recalled being followed by a car they didn't recognize when asked by police) and had vehicles stolen some short time later.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Win
Originally Posted by avacado11
.... Does anybody else on here who owns something exotic feel the same way? ...

Is this a slow day troll post?

it's a $65-75K car brand new, this afternoon.

I'm sure it's a fine car, but this is mid priced, garden variety, Euro to me. This is now exotic?

I feel the same way. I'm sure it is a great car but there are a couple Dr's and lawyers in my area with Maserati's. Quite honestly if someone pulled up in a classic Camaro, Challenger, Chevelle, Mustang, GTO or any other "classic" that would turn more redneck heads in my parts!

Bummer Utah is like that 02SE. Only been to ski and it appeared a safe place. My point of reference is NH where stolen cars/crime is low.

I had a Maserati like yours fly past me on the hwy the other day. It sounded like a modded out Mustang V8. Sounded AWESOME!! I just looked it up as I wasn't sure what a Ghibli was. It showed to be a 3.0 V6. That was the most wicked sounding V6 I've ever heard!

Drive that bad boy as your daily! Don't let it sit lonely in your garage. Life's too short,enjoy that car!

I sometimes drive (to reposition) ultra high end exotics from time to time.

Enzo, La Ferrari, and nearly all other Uber high end Ferrari's. mclaren F1, and a bunch of lesser cars (AMG and such)

One thing that stands out. The more exotic, the closer people get so they can "see" it.

Had one guy in a Camry following 10 feet behind at highway speeds on a non crowded highway. Ugh.

The last thing I need is to damage one of my boss' cars.

I don't know what it is but when I hear Ghimli....I think of...

[Linked Image]

Enjoy your *you're-not-like-everyone-else, fun-to-drive car. It's why you bought it, really...you knew what you were getting.

*(Maserati's own words)

Originally Posted by Linctex

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Idk... I'd rather be in an Aston Martin or Bentley while stuck in traffic over say a Toyota Camry.

In bumper-to-bumper traffic, I just want what's reliable.
I know a lot of people that make over $200,000 a year and drive Camrys/Accords/Lexuses (Lexii?)
I can't speak to the "reliability" of a Maserati or Aston Martin, etc..... But it's nice to have a car that just WORKS.

I'm sure an Aston Martin or Maserati that's not been abused will be able to handle a traffic jam just fine.

The only thing I know about Maserati's is that Joe Walsh had one that would do 185. He lost his license, now he don't drive.

Originally Posted by HemiBenny
The only thing I know about Maserati's is that Joe Walsh had one that would do 185. He lost his license, now he don't drive.

HemiBenny, did you know:

Sister's out till 5, doing banker son's hours
But she owns a Maseratti that's a gift from his father
Stop at full speed, at 100 miles per hour
The Colgate invisible shield finally got 'em

Originally Posted by RayCJ

HemiBenny, did you know:

Sister's out till 5, doing banker son's hours
But she owns a Maseratti that's a gift from his father
Stop at full speed, at 100 miles per hour
The Colgate invisible shield finally got 'em

No I did not know that. I looked it up and now I know two things about Maserati's.

I don't personally know about "exotics", but I know a little something about high end luxury cars and corvettes. And unfortunately you will get comments, you get used to it and they eventually fade. You'll get the...oh someone has money, comments. You'll get the, oh don't park next to him, he's worried about his car, stuff. You'll get compliments, you'll get insults.

First I was uncomfortable about it, then I got used to it, then it faded. Then I sold the high end stuff and bought a truck, now I never have to hear anything, and I love the truck.

But I never dealt with driving something like an Audi R8 or Ferrari, that's a whole different level.

I think you should look at it this way. 1. Do you like the car? 2. Did you enjoy driving it? 3. Did you pay for it with money that you earned? Yes? Then who cares what anyone else thinks or says? You're not bothering anyone and I doubt that it's too "in your face". Drive it and be happy.

I think you should look at it this way. 1. Do you like the car? 2. Did you enjoy driving it? 3. Did you pay for it with money that you earned? Yes? Then who cares what anyone else thinks or says? You're not bothering anyone and I doubt that it's too "in your face". Drive it and be happy.

Agreed. During my last run I was told to buy/drive a Ford because the two local plants employ a lot of people. I decided that if people voted against me because of what I drive so be it- I wasn't going to pander to them- unlike my opponent, who made a big deal of driving her Edge 24/7.

Originally Posted by MCompact

Agreed. During my last run I was told to buy/drive a Ford because the two local plants employ a lot of people. I decided that if people voted against me because of what I drive so be it- I wasn't going to pander to them- unlike my opponent, who made a big deal of driving her Edge 24/7.

I never understood this mentality... "BUY/I DRIVE A CAR FROM AN AMERICAN COMPANY!!!" yet the vehicle they drive is made in Canada or Mexico. Those same people usually get very very defensive when you point that out to them... if they truly cared, they'd buy a vehicle made in the USA from their "American" company.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MCompact

Hah! When I worked at a Ford dealer I drove a Trans Am.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Gasbuggy
I'm kind of surprised you get that much attention in a sedan, unless it's that bright blue or red. They aren't nearly as audacious as the old Quattroportes were.

Agreed. Makes zero sense.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

One is a Maserati. One is a half decade old Kia.

LOL one is obviously FWD

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
I always get a laugh out of exotics in bumper to bumper traffic. What a waste of a car!
lol.gif

Idk... I'd rather be in an Aston Martin or Bentley while stuck in traffic over say a Toyota Camry.

Why?

I wouldn't have a problem owning an exotic, but I probably wouldn't drive it everyday. Frankly I would rather have an older muscle car even if it was a resto-mod versus an exotic. At least with a muscle car the replacement mechanical are usually cheaper and made of obtainium.

I never knew Samoyeds were expensive. Pre-me, my family had a bunch of them before switching to Keeshonds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back