Cheap oil filters for BMW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello guys,

I ended up buying a 5 pack of Catinbow HU816X 11427541827 Metal-Free Engine Oil Filter from Amazon. The picture of the filter has markings "LA0066100 RC06" on the side. They were pretty inexpensive at $21.59 for 5. What are peoples thoughts on filters like these?

61pfpTT7aAL._SL1001_.jpg

Looks like Mann knock off. Hard to tell how well or poorly it was copied.

I tend not to experiment on my engines with no name parts. The OEM Mann filters aren't THAT expensive.

What is your affiliation with Catinbow?

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Looks like Mann knock off. Hard to tell how well or poorly it was copied.

I tend not to experiment on my engines with no name parts. The OEM Mann filters aren't THAT expensive.

What is your affiliation with Catinbow?

I don't have an affiliation with Catinbow. I'm sure they don't even make them. When I searched for the model number on the web, I found other names such as Younar, AcumsteFacaimo, and Tohuu. Still trying to find the OEM that makes it for these companies. They can't all make the same filter with that number on the side.

Last edited:
It's a commodity product but I'm not a fan of buying in bulk for just one vehicle. It'll take you years to go through those filters.

Well the vehicle should have a lot of life left in it then if it's a 2011. I agree with Quattro Pete, either Mann, Mahle or Hengst would be a better choice than a random weirdo brand named "Catinbow".

How is it that you "ended up" with them? Amazon sells name-brand ones too, albeit at a price higher than $4.32.

You asked for thoughts, so my thought is that I wouldn't even put them on my 25 year-old old BMW. But maybe that's just me.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
It'll take you years to go through those filters.

Maybe not, he might find the media blown out on the first OCI and decide to throw away the rest
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
I feel if you drive a Bimmer, you shouldn't go cheap with no name parts.
One of the benefits of euro cars that haters never discuss is that getting good quality, made in Europe parts is very easy. If you buy from the big names, there is a pretty good chance you are getting a reboxed OEM or OEM quality aftermarket part.

Combined with some bulk dino 5W30, that knock off filter should make for a good OCI
sick.gif

Not worth the minimal savings of about 10$ over 3 years. Just stick with buying a few OE quality ones and dont worry. Look for some rebates on the oil if youre looking to save.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Well the vehicle should have a lot of life left in it then if it's a 2011. I agree with Quattro Pete, either Mann, Mahle or Hengst would be a better choice than a random weirdo brand named "Catinbow".

How is it that you "ended up" with them? Amazon sells name-brand ones too, albeit at a price higher than $4.32.

You asked for thoughts, so my thought is that I wouldn't even put them on my 25 year-old old BMW. But maybe that's just me.

I didn't "end up" with them, I bought them. I've been using Hengst filters since I bought the car, along with Pentosin Pento High Performance 5W-30 oil. The Hengst filter build seemed better than Mann. These don't look much different from Mann's filters. They haven't arrived so I don't yet know the build quality.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
It'll take you years to go through those filters.

Maybe not, he might find the media blown out on the first OCI and decide to throw away the rest
smirk2.gif

Or the car ... !

Seriously, does it make any sense to risk a high dollar German engine to save a couple of bucks ? But hey, it's your ride ...

No Euro car hater here. I'd use Mann, Mahle or Hengst filters any day, or any established filter maker that's reboxed by Beck Arnley, Worldparts, BapGeon, etc.. But this Catinbow company seems like it's defunct:

https://trademarks.justia.com/875/02/catinbow-87502203.html

I'd just as soon not deal with the WUHAN LIANGPENG TRADING CO LTD. if I was a BMW owner.

I think I may take Hengst off that list. The VW oil filter I just got said made in China.

Yes made in China but by Hengst and with their name on the item. I'm no fan of Chinese oil filters but that's a lot different then a "Catinbow" filter also made in China.

Originally Posted by atikovi
No Euro car hater here. I'd use Mann, Mahle or Hengst filters any day, or any established filter maker that's reboxed by Beck Arnley, Worldparts, BapGeon, etc.. But this Catinbow company seems like it's defunct:

https://trademarks.justia.com/875/02/catinbow-87502203.html

I'd just as soon not deal with the WUHAN LIANGPENG TRADING CO LTD. if I was a BMW owner.

I think I may take Hengst off that list. The VW oil filter I just got said made in China.

Ive seen third world Mann too. Ive moved to OE or Mahle only at this point until further notice.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
I feel if you drive a Bimmer, you shouldn't go cheap with no name parts.
One of the benefits of euro cars that haters never discuss is that getting good quality, made in Europe parts is very easy. If you buy from the big names, there is a pretty good chance you are getting a reboxed OEM or OEM quality aftermarket part.

Combined with some bulk dino 5W30, that knock off filter should make for a good OCI
sick.gif

I agree with the comment above that if the OP can afford a fancy car like that, they can afford first world products. Point taken that quality, OE parts from the first world are generally readily available, and if not paying for loafers and lattes at dealership prices, the parts are actually quite cheap.

I'd skip no name third world junk and get the real right thing. Especially for a car that runs such high oil temperatures.

This thread reminds me of someone on the BMW e30 board who was cautioning other e30 owners to NOT purchase inner and outer tie rod ends on ebay.
I guess after installing the no name parts, his son took the car on a joyride with his buddy. They were going around a corner when the steering coupling came completely apart from the rack and pinion.
Of course the guy tried claiming damages to the seller, buy they were some Chinese seller/re-seller who couldn't care less.

Moral of the story; don't cheap out. It'll only end up costing you more in the long run.
...unless you like gambling with your time/money/life, then by all means go ahead.

BMW builds some kick [censored] engines. My favorite is my Sig.
19.gif
So I"m puzzled by your logic: you buy (the correct) expensive Euro Spec oil and then gamble on an oil filter?
confused.gif
Odd choice. The three filters mentioned should frankly, be the only ones you consider (price) shopping for. If you are penny pinching, you should try shopping RockAuto, they have the name brand filters mentioned often on sale for less than Amazon. DONT be tempted by the off brands THEY SELL for $1.40. They have Pentosin too. Mann, Mahle or Hengst are what you're looking for. Every shop I've ever used in the last 30 years uses those brands for oil changes.

The oil filter is an incredibly important component for your engine's cooling, lubrication and wear protection. Modern BMW engines are really complex with the valve train components in particular now relying heavily on a clean reliable source of constant oil pressure. (Google ValveTronic and VANOS) Some of these oil passages are tiny and dirty oil or oil of the wrong spec. will effect it. With higher engine temperatures (by design for fuel economy) and the greater demands of turbo charging, the margins for error are smaller for the lubrication system. Although relatively inexpensive and so perhaps easily dismissed as not all that important, don't underestimate the oil filter. It is a highly engineered component designed for efficiency and effectiveness for the most important component of your car, it's (very expensive) engine.

Mann, Mahle or Hengst.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back