10R80 Fluid Change Capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone serviced one of these units, or the GM 10L80?

According to the Ford manual, total fluid capacity for this unit is 12.7 quarts (12L) of Mercon ULV. Would it be safe to assume a pan drop/filter change would require 6 quarts?

That sounds about right. I have the GM version and when I get some miles on it will be doing a filter/fluid change on it. Right now the only place to get fluid for the GM unit is at the dealer from what I understand.

That transmission is having shudder problems. They are updating the fluid and updating valve bodies. There will be extended warranty recalls So leave it alone or take it to the dealer. If it's shifting good I would leave it alone

If you're having issues but the fluid isn't due for a change, have the fluid level checked. Turns out a LOT of these cars left the factory with under-filled fluid.

I got an orange wrench light in mine at about 2,500 miles. They had it for almost a week diagnosing, and finally re-flashed it. Some of its bad behavior is gone, but it's still not what I'd call a 'smooth operator'. I'm tempted to have an independent trans shop check the fluid level.

Originally Posted by Rat407
That sounds about right. I have the GM version and when I get some miles on it will be doing a filter/fluid change on it. Right now the only place to get fluid for the GM unit is at the dealer from what I understand.

Same goes for Ford by the looks of it, although I will be using Motorcraft Mercon ULV regardless. It's not expensive, just have to go out of my way slightly to get it.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
L1MZ-7A098-A / FT-215 is the p/n for the filter in the pan if you want to change that as well.

That was the next step. Thank you very much, kind Sir!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
That transmission is having shudder problems. They are updating the fluid and updating valve bodies. There will be extended warranty recalls So leave it alone or take it to the dealer. If it's shifting good I would leave it alone

Originally Posted by WylieCoyote
If you're having issues but the fluid isn't due for a change, have the fluid level checked. Turns out a LOT of these cars left the factory with under-filled fluid.

I got an orange wrench light in mine at about 2,500 miles. They had it for almost a week diagnosing, and finally re-flashed it. Some of its bad behavior is gone, but it's still not what I'd call a 'smooth operator'. I'm tempted to have an independent trans shop check the fluid level.

No issues with the transmission, however, I am getting the dealer to do the fluid/filter changes. I prefer to supply my own parts, even if I do buy them from the dealer themselves and hand it to the techs.

I have heard about cars leaving the factory under filled, and I'm doing this quite early on (15,000 km/9,375 mi), simply because the transmission has been seeing some very high temperatures lately, due to ambient being in the 120 - 130 F range.

I'm on the lookout to see when a higher capacity, aftermarket aluminum pan becomes available and possibly a higher capacity cooler.

The 2020 Explorer's 10R60 and 10R80 won't have fluid dipsticks, and the manual says to take it into the dealer for any type of service.

Originally Posted by metroplex
The 2020 Explorer's 10R60 and 10R80 won't have fluid dipsticks, and the manual says to take it into the dealer for any type of service.

Its just like the 6R60/6R80 where there is a check plug on the side of the case with a 2-3" dipstick.

Shudder issues caused by super thin viscosity?
Is this the transmisson Mobil just developed a new fluid for?

Originally Posted by 3311
Shudder issues caused by super thin viscosity?
Is this the transmisson Mobil just developed a new fluid for?

No that ATF was developed for the 8 speed.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Originally Posted by metroplex

Its just like the 6R60/6R80 where there is a check plug on the side of the case with a 2-3" dipstick.

I installed a longer dipstick from Performance Automatic on the 6R80 in my 14 Mustang. I will be changing the fluid when the car hits about 36,000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back