Saw the Safety Kleen pump truck today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guess they pick up used/waste oil from Walmart, AAP, and Oreillys here.
I know Safety Kleen recycles and sells oils. I've always heard Walmart stocks their waste and uses it in the winter to heat the stores. I guess in Texas maybe not? Plenty of times have I popped open an metal bucket of Safety Kleen 15w40 for military vehicles. Interesting to think that my waste oil could be refined and used in everything from HMMWVs to MBTs.

I'd honestly like to get ahold of the stuff for small engines/lawn tractors. Where would I be able to purchase it? Not from safety kleens website it appears.

Last edited:
Re- refined oil makes too much sense to me. Like using scrap iron to make steel.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
I've always heard Walmart stocks their waste and uses it in the winter to heat the stores.

Not in my store. That 1,000 gallon tank gets dumped every week. They have natural gas heaters in the shop.

I know Safety Kleen recycles and sells oils. I've always heard Walmart stocks their waste and uses it in the winter to heat the stores. I guess in Texas maybe not? Plenty of times have I popped open an metal bucket of Safety Kleen 15w40 for military vehicles. Interesting to think that my waste oil could be refined and used in everything from HMMWVs to MBTs.

I'd honestly like to get ahold of the stuff for small engines/lawn tractors. Where would I be able to purchase it? Not from safety kleens website it appears.

Actually, Safety Kleen collects and RE REFINES the oil they collect. We pay like 80 cents/gallon for the Eco Power blend 5w30 dexos 1 gen 2 and 0w20 synthetic oil at the shop. But we generate like 600 gallons per week

Originally Posted by 53' Stude

Actually, Safety Kleen collects and RE REFINES the oil they collect. We pay like 80 cents/gallon for the Eco Power blend 5w30 dexos 1 gen 2 and 0w20 synthetic oil at the shop. But we generate like 600 gallons per week

That's what I meant by recycling. They re-refine the oils they collect. 80 cents a gallon? Wow. Sounds like a good deal for a dexos oil, lol

Yeah, we are a "commercial fleet" though
smile.gif

I saw the car wash "sludge sucker" Friday too. Anyone here know what happens to car wash waste?

They service our car washes each month

Yeah, we are a "commercial fleet" though
smile.gif

I saw the car wash "sludge sucker" Friday too. Anyone here know what happens to car wash waste?

They service our car washes each month

I'm guessing theres underground tanks that separate/evaporate water, what's left is a "sludge" of waxes, detergents, etc which is then reused for commercial purposes? Idk.

several years back, i found a shop near my brother's old house that offered their ECO-POWER line. bought a 5 qt jug from them(charged me $40+... same as if i'd had them DO the oil change). when i've tried to find it since, (even contacting safety-kleen and asking Pretty please ), they have no interest in going into the oil retail space. they only sell it to shops. and they would direct me to a "local" shop they sell to. (30-45 min away)

IF i could find it, i would use their re-refined oil almost by default. it would be my go to oil, but......

Good question. I'm still waiting on the BITOG members
wink.gif

It would be interesting to know if there is a use but my guess is that the sludge is a mishmash of dirt, wax, petroleum byproducts and other gunk. I'm not sure what they would do with it.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Good question. I'm still waiting on the BITOG members
wink.gif

It would be interesting to know if there is a use but my guess is that the sludge is a mishmash of dirt, wax, petroleum byproducts and other gunk. I'm not sure what they would do with it.

Rerefined and turned into oil as well?

Originally Posted by earlyre

several years back, i found a shop near my brother's old house that offered their ECO-POWER line. bought a 5 qt jug from them(charged me $40+... same as if i'd had them DO the oil change). when i've tried to find it since, (even contacting safety-kleen and asking Pretty please ), they have no interest in going into the oil retail space. they only sell it to shops. and they would direct me to a "local" shop they sell to. (30-45 min away)

IF i could find it, i would use their re-refined oil almost by default. it would be my go to oil, but......

https://autobegreen.com/product/performance-plus-5w-20-full-synthetic-5-qt-jug/

https://autobegreen.com/product/ecopower-synthetic-blend-motor-oil-5w-30/
One of these?

Last edited:
... I saw the car wash "sludge sucker" Friday too. Anyone here know what happens to car wash waste? ...

Sure, when I was a kid, I pulled the grate out, grabbed a shovel, hopped down into the pit, shoveled that sh, um ...stuff into a wheelbarrow, and when the wheelbarrow was full, walk it out to the side of the lot, and spread the stuff out. Repeat as necessary until the pit was done, then move on the next stall.

Piece of cake compared to the trash barrels. Trash people didn't want at their house, wound up in a car wash barrel,

All the motorpools at Fort Sill uses 15W-40 oil from safety kleen. I've always questioned that but they claim it meets military spec's. Personally, no way I'd put that in anything I own that has a piston.....air compressor included. Car wash sludge will usually go to a some sort of a lined lagoon pit and allowed to dry, then it's picked up and taken to a landfill as long as it passes the paint filter test, that is, no free liquids running out through the filter media. That sludge is full of primarily metals like Fe, Cd, Al and Pb.

Originally Posted by Schmoe
All the motorpools at Fort Sill uses 15W-40 oil from safety kleen. I've always questioned that but they claim it meets military spec's. Personally, no way I'd put that in anything I own that has a piston.....air compressor included. Car wash sludge will usually go to a some sort of a lined lagoon pit and allowed to dry, then it's picked up and taken to a landfill as long as it passes the paint filter test, that is, no free liquids running out through the filter media. That sludge is full of primarily metals like Fe, Cd, Al and Pb.

I know for a fact the safety kleen oils are fine as any other API approved oil. Or work wouldn't use it. We have never had a lube related failure either.

Originally Posted by tom slick
How clean and pure do you think crude oil is?

I dont know if this is directed to me or....

BUT, I know crude is pretty dark looking

Originally Posted by 2004tdigls
in Alberta it is like asphalt , I will go with re-refined oil, thanks

smirk.gif
[Linked Image]

10k VW OCIs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back