dirty oil after only 2500 miles or less

Just because oil changes color doesn't mean it's "dirty" and needs to be changed.

In fact, I'd be worried if the oil DIDN'T change color after 2500 miles.

This color change just means that the oil is doing it's job.

If you're truly worried, send a sample to Blackstone.

Oil color does not determine oil condition.

As said several times, direct injection engines are harder on oil and the oil gets darker faster.
If you are really concerned, you have 2 options, change the oil early or get a UOA to show you what the condition the oil is in.
Both cost money, but a UOA will be cheaper in the long run if you see the oil is fine despite the color and stick to the recommended OCI.

Is this for real?
Oil color means NOTHING.
VW 507 Castrol 0w-30 turned pitch black in my 2015 Passat TDI in like 300 miles. 10k oci later everything was fine and had a great UOA.
These oils are designed to suspend the soot and run a long time. 3k oci is absurd.

Think I'll send a sample to Blackstone at 5K miles. Would sure like to go 7500 miles or more between oil changes.

I agree that 3K is absurd. Gotta be a marketing thing by oil companies and oil change shops.

To address other questions and comments above:
Air filter was changed at approx 15K miles, and it wasn't very dirty.
Mileage accumulation has been and should continue to be around 14K/yr. A recent 10-day 2,500 mile trip distorts the average.

Last edited:
People who think that the oil the their engines is still "clean" or believe that it is still "amber" after even moderate usage are merely engaging in wishful thinking (to be kind). Change oil, drive 500 miles, take a sample into a clear container and tell me it is clean or amber. Any engine. Not happening. Post a picture up to prove me wrong.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
It could be the nature of the beast, a DI engine. If you're concerned run the oil 5K miles drop it and get a UOA.

This ^^^^^^^^

Originally Posted by dbias
Is this for real?
Oil color means NOTHING.
VW 507 Castrol 0w-30 turned pitch black in my 2015 Passat TDI in like 300 miles. 10k oci later everything was fine and had a great UOA.
These oils are designed to suspend the soot and run a long time. 3k oci is absurd.

Disagree...

Oil that looks like a milkshake... Means something... And it is not good... aka bad head gasket...

Or oil that was on the shelf for sale at a local convience store that looked like this...

[Linked Image]

Oil color can and does matter... Like this Valvoline... Looks a ton better than the oil color above out of the container....

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
My wife's 2018 rogue with 13k had this issue on the second change. The factory fill was spotless at 5k, the second was pp 0-20 and it was black as night by 5k. I switched to valvoline synthetic for change number 3 and so far it's nice and clean. I personally don't like seeing oil turn black regardless of what others say. My 2000 7.3 oil stays clean for a year before it gets changed. Now my 09 altima is dirty and always has been within the first couple thousand yet an 04 Taurus doesn't?

Originally Posted by doyall
People who think that the oil the their engines is still "clean" or believe that it is still "amber" after even moderate usage are merely engaging in wishful thinking (to be kind). Change oil, drive 500 miles, take a sample into a clear container and tell me it is clean or amber. Any engine. Not happening. Post a picture up to prove me wrong.

Well, I did post a picture above. While they are not as clean as new, the the Mustang and Chevy oils are a lot more amber than the Infiniti's brown. And after another 2K miles it will be very dark brown, like what you'd expect from an old engine that's been neglected.

I've owned 20+ new cars, and I've never seen the oil turn dark like this.

Originally Posted by mbres2000

Well, I did post a picture above. While they are not as clean as new, the the Mustang and Chevy oils are a lot more amber than the Infiniti's brown. And after another 2K miles it will be very dark brown, like what you'd expect from an old engine that's been neglected.

I've owned 20+ new cars, and I've never seen the oil turn dark like this.

... TAKE A SAMPLE INTO A CLEAR CONTAINER (emphasis added) and tell me it is clean or amber. Any engine. Not happening. Post a picture up to prove me wrong.

The paper towel test doesn't mean diddly.

Originally Posted by D1dad
... The factory fill was spotless at 5k, ...

In your dreams unless you define spotless in your own special way.

I didn't put it under a microscope but the oil was clean. What's so hard to beleive about that? I'm sure there was metal that would have been picked up by a lab, but to the untrained eye it was good looking oil.

Originally Posted by D1dad
... to the untrained eye it was good looking oil.

Nice and amber I suppose. Should have been good for another interval usage then, no?

Think I'll send a sample to Blackstone at 5K miles. Would sure like to go 7500 miles or more between oil changes.

I agree that 3K is absurd. Gotta be a marketing thing by oil companies and oil change shops.

To address other questions and comments above:
Air filter was changed at approx 15K miles, and it wasn't very dirty.
Mileage accumulation has been and should continue to be around 14K/yr. A recent 10-day 2,500 mile trip distorts the average.

What fuel are you using?

Honestly, I wouldn't change anything until you get a UOA done. That will give you most of the info you are looking for. My Frontier (short tripped) is PI and the QSUD gets dark super quick. I sent a sample off to Blackstone and it came back stellar. I have no idea why it gets so dark. Same thing on my wife's Forte (20+ mile commute on highway each way). Used QSUD in it and it would get the same dark/reddish tint after 1k miles. Same stellar results from the UOA.

I say get the UOA and then decide on how you want to proceed.

Here is my thoughts.
85 Oldsmobile 2.5 looked in cap it was clean and oil stayed clean for 3k.
06 Saturn Vue Ecotec had sludge in filter at 80k. Every oil change within 500 miles started darkening and at 4k was black.
18 Caravan new and at 4k is dark with factory fill then with Blend and now Synthetic is getting dark starting at 1000 miles. Vehicle has 10k on it now.
OPE oil gets dark quickly even on Synthetic.

Oil was doing its job at cleaning on first 2 instances where on the new one it has oil squirted on piston and my believe is gas cleans carbon off valves and runs past the rings into the oil. End result is dirty tailpipe and dirty oil.
Again this is my thoughts. Normal

Thanks for the comments, except for those by self-appointed experts with an attitude.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Originally Posted by dbias
Is this for real?
Oil color means NOTHING.

Disagree...

Oil that looks like a milkshake... Means something... And it is not good... aka bad head gasket...

Or oil that was on the shelf for sale at a local convience store that looked like this...

[Linked Image]

Oil color can and does matter... Like this Valvoline... Looks a ton better than the oil color above out of the container....

[Linked Image]

I agree 100%. Some used oil just looks and smells bad. W/O sending it to a lab, a trained eye and some common sense might very well indicate which oil is in better shape. Before oil analysis common sense, a trained eye and nose was all we had to go by.

...except for those by self-appointed experts with an attitude.

No expert, no attitude, just being realistic.

Back