New diesel car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look for a 2015. It has the all new EA288. Most everything under the hood except block lower end and transmission is warranted to 162k miles. All the injection/treatment systems/turbo/injection/fuel pump etc. You can get it with a manual but the DSG will last a couple hundred k miles with the 40k mile maintenance. You can do the tranny maintenance your self for less than a hundred bucks. I have two. I like them and get around 40mpg winter and near 50 mpg summer on my mostly freeway 75-80mph commute. I have Golf's but the Jetta has the same engine for 2015.

Diesel engines claim to fame is producing large amounts of power at the highest possible thermal efficiency using a modestly refined (previously) fuel. In big trucks, locomotives and tug boats this is a huge economic advantage and compensates for the higher maintenance costs and increased hassle factor of operation. IMHO, in a car, with US fuel prices, a diesel engine makes the car an "exotic" and is more for for entertainment in producing bragging grade fuel mileage numbers with some fun to drive factor from the high torque. The difference between a 33 mpg gas burner and a 50 mpg diesel is only 1 gallon of fuel each 100 miles which doesn't provide much compensation for a diesel related uh oh. Having said all that, I enjoyed every mile I drove my GM diesel car back in the 80's - except the ones involving tow trucks - but I haven't been tempted to buy another diesel car.

Lot of hearsay in this thread.

I love TDIs we still have one in the family (a 15 Golf Sportwagen) DSG's. However with the smaller turbo gas engines the mileage gap is significantly reduced.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
I'd pass on any diesel car. It seems like they all have injector problems and it ain't a cheap fix.

That's a very broad statement - every third vehicle on the road here is diesel, and we see very few injector problems.

I'd agree though that in the US with your petrol (gas) almost being given away for free, a diesel car doesn't make much sense.

Originally Posted by hpb
I'd pass on any diesel car. It seems like they all have injector problems and it ain't a cheap fix.

That's a very broad statement - every third vehicle on the road here is diesel, and we see very few injector problems.

I'd agree though that in the US with your petrol (gas) almost being given away for free, a diesel car doesn't make much sense.

I'd have to agree that diesels in America these days suck.

I am on my 4th MB diesel last long termer was a 96 with 300 miles and still every thing worked no leaks in Engine or transmission but I got tired of looking at it, so I bought a MB 350 Bluetec had all kinda issues with DEF system so I went backwards and bought the last year of 06 CDI with straight 6 motor. I am happy. Having said that if something happens to the car I will get Hybrid Highlander or Avalon with Toyota's new 2.5 generation engine with 40% thermal efficiency and hybrid efficiency.

Originally Posted by John_Conrad
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/771407378/overview/

i'm thinking of going diesel. dissect this car, yes or no. thanks

Well, it be new to me, slightly used!!!

It has a DSG. Drivability vs durability vs previous owner in heavy traffic.
It is diesel. More expensive to fill up and to maintain for no real return.
It is a VW, and out of warranty. Unless you're a VW mechanic, that's just a bad decision.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Nick1994
Originally Posted by hpb

I'd have to agree that diesels in America these days suck.

Agreed. Their stats are all just terrible vs gasoline or hybrid.

Originally Posted by hpb

Yeah, my driver in the EU did 1.2 million Km on his E200 series original Diesel engine …
10k OCI on Mobil 1 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back