3UR FE Oil help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone. New here and looking for some advice. I'm due for my last toyoguard oil change on my ‘18 Tundra soon, and will be doing my own changes after that. I am truly on the fence about what oil to run once I'm on my own. I definitely fall into the high mileage/severe duty driving category. I travel for work and tow a TT when I go to a job. I'm at ~35k miles in about a year and a half of driving this truck. I ordered a case of OE filters from amazon. I'd like a push in the right direction. Brands I'm considering with a strict 5k OCI are

Vanilla M1 0w20
NAPA Full synthetic 0w20
Toyota (M1) 0w20

Are there any real appreciable differences between these oils with a 5k OCI? Or should I just buy what would cost me the least since I'm on a short interval? Any advice is appreciated. TIA!

Welcome!

Those engines are known for being easy on oil.

I think the consensus here is likely to be, just run whatever synthetic is on sale.

Also, in South Carolina, it wouldn't bother me at all to run something a bit heavier, especially after warranty. A 5W-20 sure wouldn't hurt it. And, since you're changing it so often, you could run something like a 5W-30 or 10W-30 in the summer. Especially if you run it hard, towing in hills, high speeds, etc. By the time it gets cool again it'll be time to change it.

I hear the NAPA full-syn oils are Valvoline. Your others are a Mobil product. Either mfgr's oil would do well.

If allowed by Toyota, consider running a full-syn 5W-30 or 10W-30 if you're towing much between OCI's. It appears you are!

Please stay on-top of oil level checks every fill-up (I hear that engine can use some oil), and the OCI's at or before 5K miles.

If treated well, I hear that engine will run 300K to 400K. Nice.

Last edited:
I would go with full syn 5w30 or 0w30. Every Toyota or Lexus model in countries other than the USA recommend 0w20 except under severe service such as towing or sustained high speeds. They then recommend a 30w oil. You can look online, as I did, for online manuals for UK or Australia for your year vehicle.

In the manual of my 2011 Tundra it states that a higher viscosity oil may be better suited when towing loads or driving at high speeds but it does not tell you a specific viscosity. I researched the 5.7L engine and found that it is sold overseas in the Lexus LX570 and one model of the Land Cruiser. In some countries the recommended oil for that engine is 5w-30.

I have been running Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 or M1 EP 5w-20 in mine since the powertrain warranty expired. Looking back at my receipts, my Toyota care oil changes at the dealer were with 5w-20 Valvoline.

Last edited:
On a strict 5k OCI, go with whatever you can get the best price on.

As others have said, towing and severe use in the warm south, go with a 5W-30 or 0W-30. Toyota does say to go with thicker oil in severe-use scenarios.

I would use the lowest cost synthetic oil when you change. The reason to stick to 0/5W-20 oil is the cam phasers. Most modern engines vary the valve timing to maximize performance and simultaneously reduced emissions. The engineers have already tested the drivetrain in heat and loads for you. They want the engine to last, just like you do.
Ford went to X-20 oils about 10 years ago, and nobody sees piles of burned out engines, do a you?
Have a fun Independence Day, brought to you by, Those Who Served.

Originally Posted by 2cool
I would use the lowest cost synthetic oil when you change. The reason to stick to 0/5W-20 oil is the cam phasers. Most modern engines vary the valve timing to maximize performance and simultaneously reduced emissions. The engineers have already tested the drivetrain in heat and loads for you. They want the engine to last, just like you do.
Ford went to X-20 oils about 10 years ago, and nobody sees piles of burned out engines, do a you?

Vehicles with that engine in other countries where a 30W is suggested for severe use don't have different cam phasers.

Then why does Toyota state a higher viscosity oil may be better suited under certain conditions in the vehicle owners manual?

Originally Posted by klt1986

Then why does Toyota state a higher viscosity oil may be better suited under certain conditions in the vehicle owners manual?

My question, too...

That's why mine has a 5W30 synthetic in it now.

And the UOA is great.

The Tundra is a guzzler to begin with. I get 13 around town, 17 on the highway. How much difference will the oil viscosity really make in MPG?

that's right, Also anyone buying a v8 is most likely not concerned with mpg.

Btw, I've read on Ford? web sites and even here that thicker oil works better as far as reducing the noise with the cam phasers ... It may mean nothing but the main thing is to keep the engine & can phasers clean i.e. no sludge.

I have a 2018 Tundra with a 5.7 and planning on going with Redline 5W20 after Toyota Care due to the HTHS being like a light 30W. I live in South Texas and the truck is a work horse. Also, given the fuel economy isn't all that great with the 5.7 I wanted to stick with a xW20 oil.

Tundramatt1470, you are a prime candidate for Shell Rotella Gas Truck 0W20.

The 0W20 is designed for all trucks that allow 0W20, including those that tow.

~$25/5qts at Walmart.
100 ppm tenacious boron.
171 ppm trimer moly.
Boosted antioxidants.
Thin yet robust viscosity gives performance, efficiency, oil flow, and protection.

the motor oil that Thickies fear...

grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back