Downsides of an exotic daily

Status
Not open for further replies.
After driving my Maserati Ghibli as a daily for a few weeks I found it alittle too "in your face" and grabs too much attention. Great for a Friday or weekend cruise, but annoying when i actually have to do something.

Does anybody else on here who owns something exotic feel the same way? I feel like corvettes, M4s, 911s can be driven around more discreetly because people either see them a lot or they see a common badge and don't think twice. I can only how bad it'd be driving around in a bright green Lamborghini.

I work in healthcare, Two colleagues over the past few years come to mind right away. One drove a Porsche 911, the other drove a Nissan GTR. Both of them loved driving it however they both used to comment that attracted way too much attention. Last I knew, they both decided to drive something more low-key to the hospital on a daily basis and saved the toys for the weekend only. Guess it comes down to two things, how much you care about it and the area you live in. Back in New Jersey/New York, and S class Mercedes, Porsche, or Bentley Was quite common on the daily commute. In southern Missouri where I currently live, they would stick out like a sore thumb.

my buddies daily driver used to be a Ferrari when he was at MS. He love the car ,but got tired of all the attention. So after a while he sold it and bought a Honda. these types of cars to me are great weekend vehicles, but for daily use no way.

Depends on where you live. I go out to Vegas quite a few times a year and stay out in the suburbs. Not unusual to see high end Porsches, Lambos, and Ferraris in the parking lot of Target.

If I had the cash to drop on something expensive, I'd get something different that I wouldn't mind people touching or screwing with (if they could even do that).

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
I always get a laugh out of exotics in bumper to bumper traffic. What a waste of a car!
lol.gif

Idk... I'd rather be in an Aston Martin or Bentley while stuck in traffic over say a Toyota Camry.

So what is your motivation, exactly?

To drive something fast and swoopy? Any Corvette would do fine.

To drive a good handling car? Pretty hard to beat a Miata.

Something interesting and historic? What about a 240Z?

If you want to make a splash by driving an exotic, don't complain about the supposedly unwanted attention.

I'm kind of surprised you get that much attention in a sedan, unless it's that bright blue or red. They aren't nearly as audacious as the old Quattroportes were.

I didn't realize a Maserati Ghibli was an exotic car. I see it as a high performance European sedan, not unlike the performance sedans models from BMW, Audi, MBZ, even Volvo.

All nice cars, but exotics?

I never viewed Maserati as exotic because they are so plain. There is a Levante at work that I didn't even notice was a Maserati until I'd seen it half a dozen times and actually read the name on it. It looked like a mid 2000's Hyundai product or something that I wasn't familiar with. We have a lot of truly exotic looking vehicles where I live, and while I see them get glances, they never pull a crowd. Some areas though, a Corvette will pull a massive group. Yes, it would get old and annoy me after a short while to daily something that made my commute take longer because of gawkers. Also, people tend to swerve subconsciously into exotics. Ever notice that in traffic? Yeah. Meh.

Originally Posted by Voleak
I didn't realize a Maserati Ghibli was an exotic car. I see it as a high performance European sedan, not unlike the performance sedans models from BMW, Audi, MBZ, even Volvo.

A Ghibli is probably about as exotic as it gets in Arkansas.

Originally Posted by Gasbuggy
I'm kind of surprised you get that much attention in a sedan, unless it's that bright blue or red. They aren't nearly as audacious as the old Quattroportes were.

Agreed. Makes zero sense.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

One is a Maserati. One is a half decade old Kia.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6

And in person they're completely different. The Maserati does have presence in traffic, something along the lines of an M5 or E63 AMG, even if you're not a "car guy."

To pretend it looks/feels like a Kia to even the layperson is obtuse.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Originally Posted by Voleak

A Ghibli is probably about as exotic as it gets in Arkansas.

lol wut? I live right on the AR border, and see things like Fisker, G wagons (all over), Vipers ( a few), Huracans (several in my town), Alfa 4C (right when they came out, haven't seen one in a few years), Exige, and at one of the facilities I work at, low and behold a Levante (which I mistook for a Kia or Infiniti or something from the mid 2000's until I actually read the name). Just the other day I saw a Ford GT (circa '05, not the NEW one). Also saw a Murculago a few years back. Plenty of GT-R and MB SLS and Z06 around.

I also only really drive early mornings or late afternoons or at night, if I were awake more during the daytime, I wonder what I'd see?

Thing is, I live near the more upscale part of AR, not the Pine Bluff/Texarkana type regions.

Originally Posted by Rat407
I never will be able to afford an exotic vehicle so not an issue here.

Well, if OP's Maserati counts, a 2014 model like OP's can be had cheaper than a new Honda Accord of mid-level trim. In great shape with
Example: Maserati For Sale

Last edited:
Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Originally Posted by Ws6

And in person they're completely different. The Maserati does have presence in traffic, something along the lines of an M5 or E63 AMG, even if you're not a "car guy."

To pretend it looks/feels like a Kia to even the layperson is obtuse.

No it doesn't. I've seen plenty of them, and rarely "notice" them unless I see the grill with the massive trident on it. It is a very bland car, minus the grill, and a grill, does not make "presence" by itself. The German sedans you mentioned are pretty common place and don't really stand out much, either. They are nice, and so on and so forth, but I'd call them "understated". Basically their rotors/calipers/wide tires/badging are the give-away. Now, the MB SLS, the Viper, The Huracan. THAT is presence. The Maserati? It's a huge grill emblem and wider than normal tires with dated body lines.

The styling looks "rushed" and devoid of nuance and detail. Very "what do we do with this slab of paneling? "Ummm...port holes!" What about the back end? "Ehh...give it haunches and call it good!" Dated and unimaginative. What "exotic sedan with presence" in 2019 still bloody has prominent port-holes on the front fender? This is part of the reason they depreciate like a rock, losing about 45% of their MSRP value in 1 model year. MSRP $80K. Used value 1 year later? $45K asking price.

Also, to prove the point...one of these is an M5, one of them is a 540i. Both are 2019 year model vehicles. Yes there are nuances, no neither one is "exotic" or somehow smothers the other "with its presence".
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
It depends on the region and corresponding income level. In Montgomery and Howard county, MD (among the highest county-wide income levels in the US) as well as Northern Virginia, Washington DC and to some extent, some areas of Annapolis MD, exotics and luxury exotics are all over the place and I see them in daily traffic; especially Rolls and Bentley. Same goes for high end Audis, MB/AMG and BMW's. High end Porsche's are all over the place.

Less common are Bugatti, Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren but I've seen them all... I've seen everything but a Koenigsegg.

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back