Plane crashes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious are the planes the same ? The one in Hawaii and the latest one in Texas that went into the hangar?

both Beechcraft 'King Air', but it is also the longest produced twin engine small aircraft, quite a few permutations built since early 1960s.

The one that crashed at Addison, Texas was a Beechcraft Super King Air 350.

It is not necessarily a "small" plane... nor does it have any serious service issues in history.

The King Airs are generally considered some of the best made light twins anywhere.

They showed a photo of the Hawaii plane on the news back when it happened, it was a turbo prop plane. So not the same planes I remember.
I'm curious of what other so called up grades are done to them? Are they a control cable plane still?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Hawaii was a Queen Air, Texas was a Super King Air.

Are any of them fly by wire? Or have some kind of connection to an autopilot that can not be disconnected from the cables?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Exhaustgases
Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Hawaii was a Queen Air, Texas was a Super King Air.

Are any of them fly by wire? Or have some kind of connection to an autopilot that can not be disconnected from the cables?

No.

And no aircraft operating under Part 91, 121, or 135 has an autopilot which cannot be disabled.

Are any of them fly by wire?

Just good old analog 7X19 wires...
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BusyLittleShop

Are any of them fly by wire?

Just good old analog 7X19 wires...
[Linked Image]

Of course, the FAA just came out with a Special Information Bulletin about the cable turnbuckles failing due to corrosion. It affects nearly all aircraft with cable operated flight controls, including our Gulfstream G550.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
The TX accident looks like the crew stalled the aircraft or that they were trying to operate it below VMC.
A contributing factor that would explain either is the apparent the loss of an engine, but the good engine should have had enough power to fly the aircraft out of danger, unless the aircraft was loaded beyond allowable gross, if only for the available runway and ambient temperature.
If the accident aircraft had a crew of two plus eight passengers plus their baggage plus enough fuel to fly to FL, who knows?
I'll also note that if an engine failure were involved, this would have been the worst possible point in any flight to have lost one and many pilots and their passengers have been done in in these situations.
A heavily loaded twin, even a turbine and even within allowable certification limits that lost an engine right after breaking ground would give the crew few options and none of them are good.
Put it back down and run off the end of the available runway, land straight ahead or continue on the running engine.
No real standout choices in this situation so the crew probably elected to take the safest course of action they could determine and ended up rolling snake eyes.
Sad.
Will be interested in what the NTSB finds or doesn't, since they bat around .500 on probable causes.

Remarkably the 350 model has only had two fatals in the 20 years since introduced. I attribute that mostly to the recurrent training/qualification for the type certificate. The 350 (over 12.5K), unlike the other King Airs, requires a TC. How two professional pilots lost a 350, even with an engine failure, is something I don't understand. Should have been a non-event. There has been some discussion of a recurring King Air problem where the throttles retard at very inopportune times requiring the pilot to keep hands on the throttles throughout the takeoff phase but that's a subject for the investigation. Danm shame.

Dodged a bullet bullet, I live less than a mile from Addison airport and almost on the flight path. It is one of the busiest general aviation airport in the nation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back