Does Firestone sell a good all season tire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to be living just down the street from a Firestone garage. But most of the reviews for the tires I've read on their site and tirerack are bad.
Tire size is 215/60R16

Last edited:
They also sell Bridgestone and Toyo. Birdgestone is the parent company of Firestone
smile.gif

Is there a DT near you?

Some Firestones are tire rack installers. For example the Firestone at 2310 Olive is. Check and confirm that the Firestone near you is one. Purchasing tires from tire rack would widen your tire choices.

I like the Destination LE2 tires I have. It might be worth a look to see if they come in your size.

Affinity Touring still available?
Had a set of these on an old and now gone Accord and they seemed pretty decent in two serious snows I recall driving them through and were otherwise decent in rain and about as good as any tire can be on actual ice.
Good wear and quiet as well.

I have noticed when I try to add tires to my Amazon cart, they direct me to PepBoys for the install (for $19 each)

Food for thought

Originally Posted by fdcg27
Had a set of these on an old and now gone Accord and they seemed pretty decent in two serious snows I recall driving them through and were otherwise decent in rain and about as good as any tire can be on actual ice.

Daughter's car is still rolling on these Affinity Touring tires, very good all season tire (and she drove in Wisconsin).

FWIW, I had a set of Destination ATs all terrain, not all season tires.

The best set of tires I ever had: 68,000miles without one problem. Got rid of them cause they were developing some dry rot and tread was finally getting low. I'd buy them again in a heartbeat.

I hate Firestone tires. If you ever have the misfortune of putting in a patch on one in the summer heat. The linner on the inside of the tire peels off. No other brand does it, not even the Bridgestone. I also have a couple grudges against Bridgestone but for some reason seem to be a better tire than Firestone. I would go for the Toyo if you are planning on buying from Firestone.

My mother in law has Firestone tires on her car and they look like cheap pieces of junk. Plus they are only a few years old and are dry rotting.

I have some Michelin Defenders of my nissan versa. Best tires I have ever used. I think it depends on what price point you are willing to invest. I mean, I buy tires because they are safety items, not because I want to "extend their oci"

Originally Posted by demarpaint
I like the Destination LE2 tires I have. It might be worth a look to see if they come in your size.

I used these for about 30,000 miles on a Jeep Grand Cherokee with QD2. Their dry performance was good, they were relatively quiet, gave a good ride, etc. Winter ice/snow was alright. Not a stand-out, but not what I'd call bad either. It was their wet performance that was bad. Very poor traction compared to other all-seasons I've used. For a light truck/highway tire, the CrossContact LX20 really impressed me.

Originally Posted by WhizkidTN

Daughter's car is still rolling on these Affinity Touring tires, very good all season tire (and she drove in Wisconsin).

What car does your daughter drive?
Glad your daughter is having good success with the OE Affinity Touring tires. My daughter(Civic in sig) still has these OE tires on the '15 Civic and they too are nice 3 season tire that are quiet, good riding & reasonable handling that offer good MPG as well.

But, and a HUGE BUT here, the Affinity Touring are terrible in heavy rain and even worst in the tiniest bit of snow. I had to switch to her winter tires just a bit earlier than(see below) previously; in mid OCT- early NOV in case of some flurries.

Her previous car(Mazda3) had Pirelli P7 Cint A/S+ for 3 seasons, which did quite well in all weather situations mainly due to the Pirelli's good snow traction. However I still switched to the winter tires but at a much later time in NOV-early DEC. I just didn't want the Pirellis on all winter due to the icey/hilly type of driving she does in PA.

Wasn't impressed with the last set of their all season Destination LE, got just a bit over 37k out of them with 5k rotations and monthly pressure checks.

Only Firestones I have owned were Destination STs and I liked them....even used them through one winter, but I did buy snows for the next season. They were also pretty cool looking!
Not available in the OPer's size, though.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
Originally Posted by WhizkidTN

What car does your daughter drive?
Glad your daughter is having good success with the OE Affinity Touring tires. My daughter(Civic in sig) still has these OE tires on the '15 Civic and they too are nice 3 season tire that are quiet, good riding & reasonable handling that offer good MPG as well.

But, and a HUGE BUT here, the Affinity Touring are terrible in heavy rain and even worst in the tiniest bit of snow. I had to switch to her winter tires just a bit earlier than(see below) previously; in mid OCT- early NOV in case of some flurries.

Her previous car(Mazda3) had Pirelli P7 Cint A/S+ for 3 seasons, which did quite well in all weather situations mainly due to the Pirelli's good snow traction. However I still switched to the winter tires but at a much later time in NOV-early DEC. I just didn't want the Pirellis on all winter due to the icey/hilly type of driving she does in PA.

These are on a 2005 Toyota Matrix XR (2WD), so a fairly light car. She did great in the Wisconsin snows over two winters there.

Last edited:
That's amazing and I'm happy for her!

These Affinity Touring Tires are rated so poorly by Tire Rack customer reviews and in my daughter's case(in her light wgt Civic), the reviews are right on. She likes the tires otherwise as do I. And as mentioned earlier, they're smooth, quiet, good riding and good mpg.

She has complained about the hydroplaning during the Spring rainy season(after I remove her winter tires). And last year(Oct '18) prior to winter, with only 22K miles on the tires, the first snowfall in PA, she had to get pushed by 2 Penn State football players. And she said, the snow wasn't even deep, just slushy. "The Pirelli P7s would have walked through this" she said.

She runs AltiMAX Arctic for the winter anyway however, the Affinity didn't do well until I was able to install her Arctic's(separate wheels/tire pkg). The snow cleared and she was able to drive home for the holidays so I could do the tire swap.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the suggestions.
I did have Firehawks in the past, but it was with a rear wheel drive car back in the 90s so I don't remember anything besides I liked how they looked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back