Heli coil aluminum cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to have a dipstick cover on my outdrive heli coiled. I stripped it out by accident. The issue is just it has a small oil drain hole the is drilled in from the side and that will be covered up by the heli-coil. The dipstick that threads into the cover covers about half the 1/4 of the hole. Opinions?

Can you cut the heli coil so it's shorter and doesn't cover the hole?

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
I want to have a dipstick cover on my outdrive heli coiled. I stripped it out by accident. The issue is just it has a small oil drain hole the is drilled in from the side and that will be covered up by the heli-coil. The dipstick that threads into the cover covers about half the 1/4 of the hole. Opinions?

Can you cut the heli coil so it's shorter and doesn't cover the hole?

If you're going to use a heli-coil, get the right length as there's several to choose (usually). I looked up that cover and it looks like that drain hole is pretty far down the threads so a shorter thread insert should work fine. Although you might be better off with a Time-sert instead of a heli-coil. Hopefully that thread size is not an oddball that limits your choice of inserts. Good luck.

A shorter heli-coil could work, but I would opt for a solid insert instead.

Any idea what the cost would be to have a machine shop do this repair?

Starting rates are probably $50-$60 and up from there

Originally Posted by Linctex
A shorter heli-coil could work, but I would opt for a solid insert instead.

Any idea what the cost would be to have a machine shop do this repair?

Starting rates are probably $50-$60 and up from there

I agree as long as it doesn't cover that hole and is still covered by the oring on the dipstick so water doesn't get in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back