Thoughts on PUP 5W20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What specifically would you like to know about it? Meaning.. It is very very good oil.. You may get some brand-specific bickering, it's only inevitable, "Why not use _____ _ I have used 41 years in everthing" lol.. okay.. but it is outstanding.

Pennzoil Ultimate Platinum? Can't go wrong with that. I assume you are getting it at a good price? The Canada distribution seems different than here in the US

Canadian Tire always have oil sales - QSUD & PUP are on sale often. I have had excellent luck with QSUD, would like to try PUP.

Originally Posted by talest
What specifically would you like to know about it? Meaning.. It is very very good oil.. You may get some brand-specific bickering, it's only inevitable, "Why not use _____ _ I have used 41 years in everthing" lol.. okay.. but it is outstanding.

Pennzoil Ultimate Platinum? Can't go wrong with that. I assume you are getting it at a good price? The Canada distribution seems different than here in the US

Good choice Will. It's a selection that sits on the top-shelf of passenger vehicles oil names. I'm assuming the specs meet your Jeep engine specs.

I've got the PUP 0w20 in my 18 JL right now. I'm at about 3500 miles, so it will be a little while, but when I change it, I'll do a UOA and post it. It is a 6 speed and is a hoot to drive, so I frequently run it in a spirited way and it sees rpms right up to redline quite a bit. It'll be fun to see how it does, but I'm confident it will show well. I just don't know what it really has that "regular" Platinum doesn't, other than a higher flash point.

I use it in my 2018 Ram Hemi. As long as either Walmart for Amazon keep selling it for $24.97 per 5 quart jug with free shipping, I'll stick with it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Good choice Will. It's a selection that sits on the top-shelf of passenger vehicles oil names. I'm assuming the specs meet your Jeep engine specs.

Yes Sir! Both oils meet the MS-6395 specs.

It is a fantastic oil for keeping the engine clean..... That way you can avoid the idea of a flush!

I'm using this oil in my Civic and it seems to like it, plus don't forget you can get a $10 rebate from Pennzoil Canada for every 5L jug you buy (maximum of 2 per year per household)

Has a very low NOACK/evaporation rate like Amsoil Signature Series. Makes it great for reducing deposits because evaporated oil consumed through the PCV over time is reduced. Keeps direct injection engines' intakes and intake valves cleaner. Can be a great oil to use in port injection engines if you do a lot of short trips and/or buy the cheapest gasoline available that causes more deposits.

It's really good. Is it a 25k oil? Probably not. Is it good for 10-15k if you're looking to extend intervals? Yes. It's definitely in the top 3 oils at its price point and has rebates that seem like they're all the time.

I've had UOAs on PUP all the way out to 17k miles and it delivers nice results; I crept up from basically manufacturer/OLM recommendation all the way up to double that by using the UOAs to make sure viscosity and TBN still looked good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back