Check your dog food

Status
Not open for further replies.
Real meat without salt or as little salt as possible and some rice now and then. Dog is 13 years old and healthy. He likes very much moose meat and lever.

[Linked Image]

This has been an ongoing issue since 1997. I feed my Dog Wellness Core which is Grain free, but I also feed treats that are meat and he does get table scraps which are quality proteins(Eggs,Meats..etc)

Here is what wellness said about this.

We are aware of some research conducted by the FDA on grain-free diets that contain high levels of legumes. Wellness has added supplemental Taurine to all dog diets since 2004 as a precautionary step following similar research that was published relative to the use of lamb and brown rice in diets. Currently Taurine has yet to be considered a requirement for dogs, and we add twice the minimum level of Taurine required for cats since it is a required nutrient for cats. It's also important to note that unlike cats, which are dependent on their daily diets for their Taurine, dogs can synthesize (produce) Taurine given the proper precursors in their daily diets. In addition, the FDA has contacted the makers of the potential associated foods, and we have not been contacted by the FDA. We'll continue to monitor the situation closely

Basically foods high in protein from Peas/Legumes do not have enough essential Amino acids for your pet. These foods use Peas/Legumes to inflate the protein content of their food. You need to ensure named meat sources are ahead of peas/Legumes.

https://www.onlynaturalpet.com/holi...-dog-food-and-heart-disease-in-dogs.aspx

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Bjornviken
[Linked Image]

How did you get that dog to walk sideways in the snowy hill? Or is the dog a tied-down climber, needing the rope to reach the top?
Let it try climbing Mt. Everest

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by alarmguy
Lets be clear. The FDA is investigating, not warning about anything.

With that said, it absolutely BLOWS MY MIND that people feed their dog the same brand food everyday and expect to have a healthy dog.

Does anyone reading this honestly believe that you would be healthy and fit if you ate Burger King or any fast food, same meal, everyday of your life?

Why on earth do you do that to your dog? Come on people! Talk about buying corporate marketing! Why? why? on earth do people stick with the same brand food?
Hello?? *L*

Amen - Amen - Amen!
Currently, I alternate equally, using three different brands and three different flavors. Then after a few years, I try (3) others. This is for a small dog ..... 14" high and 22 lbs.
All are high quality and a mix of Grain Free and Grain included. My average bag size is 24lbs and they cost at least $55 (not on sale). I have paid $70 for a bag of dog food.

My dogs only visit the vet to have their mandatory shots every once in a while. No symptoms that are common with cheap dog foods...... nothing! They live a long life.

Its nice to see posts in here that I am not alone!
I try and try to spread the word, also senseless is obese dogs.

We have a small dog too, 25 LBS.

Originally Posted by thescreensavers
Basically foods high in protein from Peas/Legumes do not have enough essential Amino acids for your pet. These foods use Peas/Legumes to inflate the protein content of their food. You need to ensure named meat sources are ahead of peas/Legumes.

https://www.onlynaturalpet.com/holi...-dog-food-and-heart-disease-in-dogs.aspx

I can see the issue arising...by chasing the "grain free" label.

e.g. South America, when we discovered them...maize, legumes, and squash...complete proteins, and fatty acids etc...

Grain only bad...replace that with grain free legumes bad...combine them, and at least you get there.

But dogs aren't vegetarian

With that said, it absolutely BLOWS MY MIND that people feed their dog the same brand food everyday and expect to have a healthy dog.

Does anyone reading this honestly believe that you would be healthy and fit if you ate Burger King or any fast food, same meal, everyday of your life?

Why on earth do you do that to your dog? Come on people! Talk about buying corporate marketing! Why? why? on earth do people stick with the same brand food?
Hello?? *L*

Always vary your dogs (or cat) diet. Canned food is always best but if even dry food. Buy at LEAST two different companies products and rotate their meals from one brand to the other.
AS a bonus, add some peas or carrots and safe fruits such as apple, buy some cheap tuna in water or canned salmon or mackerel in the supermarket and sprinkle a little on top of their food, come on already, pet food company has you by the ______. Sams Club Rotisserie 3 lb chickens are cheaper then dog food. We actually cut them up into small pieces and freeze in bags always having one bag in the refrigerator and sprinkle on top of the dog food.

Warning, Im repeating what we do and can not post everything in this thread, always first research the safe fruits and vegetables for dogs or cats first. Your in these forums so you know how to use a computer, things like onions, garlic, nuts and pits can be dangerous.

Here is what we do,

1. Breakfast (just a light meal) - small amount of kibble dog food (rotated by brand whenever we run out) and some lactose free milk sprinkled on top.

2. Dinner - 1 can of any of 5 different company brand dog foods, with the following added, small about of frozen peas and carrots from Walmart, small amount of any type of fruit that we have laying around (apple ect) and human meat sprinkled on top, which consists of any leftover steak, chicken, ect OR if we dont have leftovers, we also have cans of cheap tuna in water or mackeral or salmon and as mentioned above a 3 lb chopped up chicken in the freezer.
Adding people food is cheaper then the garbage dog food and my feeling excellent source of clean protein for the dog.

Also read the dog food contents on the label, buy food with named meats, use your computer and research dog food reviews and ratings, Whole Dog Journal is another good source of information.

and one last time, always research the safe foods for your pet BEFORE giving it to them.

Disagree here. IMO it's not the brand but the composition and protein source. For example take Nature's Variety, Orijen (sp?), etc. These brands offer a variety of protein sources and proteins are the primary ingredient. You can buy canned, dry, raw, limited ingredient in fish, chicken, rabbit, deer, beef, lamb, etc etc. What your suggesting is akin to saying don't only buy chicken from Publix because its different from the chicken sold at Kroger.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

Hello?? *L*

Always vary your dogs (or cat) diet. Canned food is always best but if even dry food. Buy at LEAST two different companies products and rotate their meals from one brand to the other.
AS a bonus, add some peas or carrots and safe fruits such as apple, buy some cheap tuna in water or canned salmon or mackerel in the supermarket and sprinkle a little on top of their food, come on already, pet food company has you by the ______. Sams Club Rotisserie 3 lb chickens are cheaper then dog food. We actually cut them up into small pieces and freeze in bags always having one bag in the refrigerator and sprinkle on top of the dog food.

Warning, Im repeating what we do and can not post everything in this thread, always first research the safe fruits and vegetables for dogs or cats first. Your in these forums so you know how to use a computer, things like onions, garlic, nuts and pits can be dangerous.

Here is what we do,

1. Breakfast (just a light meal) - small amount of kibble dog food (rotated by brand whenever we run out) and some lactose free milk sprinkled on top.

2. Dinner - 1 can of any of 5 different company brand dog foods, with the following added, small about of frozen peas and carrots from Walmart, small amount of any type of fruit that we have laying around (apple ect) and human meat sprinkled on top, which consists of any leftover steak, chicken, ect OR if we dont have leftovers, we also have cans of cheap tuna in water or mackeral or salmon and as mentioned above a 3 lb chopped up chicken in the freezer.
Adding people food is cheaper then the garbage dog food and my feeling excellent source of clean protein for the dog.

Also read the dog food contents on the label, buy food with named meats, use your computer and research dog food reviews and ratings, Whole Dog Journal is another good source of information.

and one last time, always research the safe foods for your pet BEFORE giving it to them.

Disagree here. IMO it's not the brand but the composition and protein source. For example take Nature's Variety, Orijen (sp?), etc. These brands offer a variety of protein sources and proteins are the primary ingredient. You can buy canned, dry, raw, limited ingredient in fish, chicken, rabbit, deer, beef, lamb, etc etc. What your suggesting is akin to saying don't only buy chicken from Publix because its different from the chicken sold at Kroger.

Huh?
No disrespect. Your not buying a chicken from Publix or Kroger, not even close.

But Ill agree you are buying a "composition and protein source" quality dog food is a "composition" of animal parts with added vitamins, minerals to guarantee it will meet federal guidelines for animal feed.
The manufacturers of much of the dog food industry do not make these ingredients, they are outsourced from anyplace in the world, depending on manufacturer and "trusted" they are what they are.
Many dog food companies are nothing more then factories, purchasing "parts" mixing them together and labeling them for sale, they dont do this because they love dogs, like the photos show on the bags of food, they do it to make money, huge profits. Most of the public have no idea how dog food is made, they just dont bother to learn because they buy the "marketing".
Most manufacturers do not even test their products physically, they mix the dog food with ingredients that a computer program says will sustain the life of the animal.

Another aspect is, dry kibble dog food is filled with cancer causing chemicals, the super heating process of producing kibble dog food creates chemicals similar to the warnings about grilling your own food on the grill. How many people here know, the reason kibble dog food came about was during World War II metal for canning was scarce, so they invented a way to sell dog food by the bag instead. Canned food far superior.

Anyway, this is just a VERY short reply as to why buying dog food in not in anyway like buying a chicken from Publix or Kroger.
Each brand of food has different quality control standards and issues, Each brand of food has different cancer causing chemicals at different levels, each brand of food uses different levels of additives for a balanced diet, each brand of food .... and so on and so on ...

So it is ALWAYS best to rotate around brands of dog food, this way your dog/cat gets a variety of different levels of the good and bad things that is unique to each brand, no reason on planet earth to be loyal to any dog food brand, that is just insane, just as it would be for a human being to eat the same exact food everyday of your life.

Dog food companies, believe it or not, are in business to make money, lots of it.

Anyway, Im rambling on, yes, I do that a lot ... :eek:)

(coming up next, as soon as I find the web link, the varying level of cancer causing chemicals in different brands, made by a non profit group who also lists different baby foods.)

Last edited:
Ok, here you go, as ONE reason to rotate dog/cat food keeping in mind simple nutrition is another reason to never feed the same brand everyday.

What if you found out the dog food you were feeding your dog had 3000 parts of arsenic or 8000 parts of arsenic in it, instead of 30 parts?
Wouldnt you feel like you were doing right by your dog if you didnt give it the same exact food everyday of its life? By rotating foods you are greatly extending the odds of not feeding it something dangerous its whole life.
Source - click

There is a WHOLE HUGE list of different things in pet foods and why its not like buying a chicken in publix vs a chicken in kroger.
Source - Click

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Do not recognize most of those brands. Have always had the best luck with plain old Purina dog chow that I usually get at TSC, about $19 to 22 per 50 lb bag. Our 2 dogs do well on it,use regular purina cat chow for our 2 cats as well. Have tried the more expensive Science diet from our vet and the dogs did not like it and one dog threw up. Even tried the more expensive Purina Plus line of food and they did not like that any better. Or dogs seem to do best on regular purina and our vet tells me they are healthy so just keep doing what we are doing. Have had half a dozen dogs and cats make it well into the 20 year club on regular old purina food.

My vet advised to feed our Cat Purina as well, and not buy the trendy grain free food.

We feed the cat fancy feast (Purina), and a little bit of dry food (Purina) to munch on, and our 4 year old cat has a beautiful coat, and is in good health.

One thing we did do is sprinkle some organic pumpkin powder on her food daily to aide in digestion and she has zero hairballs or other issues.

I recognize all those brands. My dog is over 15 years old and in decent health, with one exception. He is allergic to sweet potato, and has been for a long time (took awhile to figure it out) Which may sound like "whatever" to most people - but look at the ingredients of most all dog foods, low and high cost, fancy and WM. Pretty much all have sweet potato the last few years. Worse, a type of food may now suddenly contain sweet potato and it will not be listed on the label until the company changes the label after the bags/can labels are used up! I have pretty much gotten to know them all. Sweet potato makes him heave within 20-30 minutes of eating.

This of course makes it tough to switch around his food. Right now it's Nature's Variety Instinct Raw Boost Chicken mixed with Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Duck and Potato wet. (he is fine with regular potato) . He loves the stuff and his ticker is good. We mix some broth in, some cooked pumpkin, and some yogurt from time to time. Also a couple times a week some good oil, a tablespoon or so of EVOO or grapeseed oil.

I am not so worried about such a list, it's not statistical - it doesn't have a lot of meaning. I mean, for example maybe lots of people switch to these foods because their dogs are fat or have other heart issues.......the dogs may have died sooner, regardless of food choice.

As an aside, a long time ago I bought a bag of Taste of The Wild. Right in the middle of the sack is a softball size clump of moldy nasty rotting dog food. Not good.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

Hello?? *L*

Here is what we do,

Huh?
No disrespect. Your not buying a chicken from Publix or Kroger, not even close.

But Ill agree you are buying a "composition and protein source" quality dog food is a "composition" of animal parts with added vitamins, minerals to guarantee it will meet federal guidelines for animal feed.
The manufacturers of much of the dog food industry do not make these ingredients, they are outsourced from anyplace in the world, depending on manufacturer and "trusted" they are what they are.
Many dog food companies are nothing more then factories, purchasing "parts" mixing them together and labeling them for sale, they dont do this because they love dogs, like the photos show on the bags of food, they do it to make money, huge profits. Most of the public have no idea how dog food is made, they just dont bother to learn because they buy the "marketing".
Most manufacturers do not even test their products physically, they mix the dog food with ingredients that a computer program says will sustain the life of the animal.

Another aspect is, dry kibble dog food is filled with cancer causing chemicals, the super heating process of producing kibble dog food creates chemicals similar to the warnings about grilling your own food on the grill. How many people here know, the reason kibble dog food came about was during World War II metal for canning was scarce, so they invented a way to sell dog food by the bag instead. Canned food far superior.

Anyway, this is just a VERY short reply as to why buying dog food in not in anyway like buying a chicken from Publix or Kroger.
Each brand of food has different quality control standards and issues, Each brand of food has different cancer causing chemicals at different levels, each brand of food uses different levels of additives for a balanced diet, each brand of food .... and so on and so on ...

So it is ALWAYS best to rotate around brands of dog food, this way your dog/cat gets a variety of different levels of the good and bad things that is unique to each brand, no reason on planet earth to be loyal to any dog food brand, that is just insane, just as it would be for a human being to eat the same exact food everyday of your life.

Dog food companies, believe it or not, are in business to make money, lots of it.

Anyway, Im rambling on, yes, I do that a lot ... :eek:)

(coming up next, as soon as I find the web link, the varying level of cancer causing chemicals in different brands, made by a non profit group who also lists different baby foods.)

If you look at your post you'll see that you argued that you must rotate brands. IJS it's not the brands but the composition. That was why I used the publix/kroger anology.

There are reasons to be brand loyal. It's not insane when the majority of ingredients are species appropriate.

Last edited:
hahahaha... on the species appropriate mumbo-jumbo.
How would you like to eat one single type of food (day in and day out) for a lifetime?
A variety of food will keep your dog healthier, just like a variety keeps us healthier.
No Rocket Science Degree needed, to figure that out.

Exactly and pointless for me to comment further (yeah, I know) :eek:)

If you believe mankind and the entire animal kingdom would have a healthy life eating one food from one manufacturer for your entire life, well, then ... good luck to you and I hope it works out.

Amen alarmguy. May our pets alarm-bell ring loud & clear too, in a happy tone. Improved health to all. I'm talking about good dry dog food...... normally I pay $60 bag. Thank you upstairs^^^ that I only need to feed a 22lb dog...... lol. Much easier on the wallet.

Last edited:
Exactly and pointless for me to comment further (yeah, I know) :eek:)

If you believe mankind and the entire animal kingdom would have a healthy life eating one food from one manufacturer for your entire life, well, then ... good luck to you and I hope it works out.

Clear you don't read labels. Why would you think every food from a manufacturer is identical sans the protein?

How would you like to eat one single type of food (day in and day out) for a lifetime?
A variety of food will keep your dog healthier, just like a variety keeps us healthier.

Nobody is talking about the single type of food? Who said same time of food? A variety of carrots doesn't keep you healthier. A carrot is just a carrot. It doesn't matter from whom you buy it from.

Dogs and Cats have fairly simple nutritional needs. It's not rocket science but a matter of cost.

Last edited:

You wouldn't understand until you've had to deal with a pet which developed an auto-immune response to a specific animal protein such as chicken. I have had to deal with it and trust me it's not ideal.

IBS --> IBD -> full on gastrointestinal cancer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back