How long can a Subaru OEM oil filter last? #15208AA15A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Subaru previously stated that this oil filter can go as long as 7500 miles, now their current recommendation is 6000 miles. Has anyone had any good results extending their oci using this filter beyond 7500 miles?

Originally Posted by PPWarrior
Why would you want to extend oci if the filter is relatively cheap?

Actually this is the point I made in the discussion we are having about this on subaruoutback.org

Aside from the 23psi bypass spec the Subaru OEM filter is reported, per a Subaru FSM, to have a flow rate of 14.5 gallons per minute. Internally it is a basic Fram filter with a 23psi bypass. Some are wondering how necessary it is to even have a filter with that bypass spec if the flow may be better like say with a higher level Fram product like the Ultra series filter.

So the question I have asked is why use something other than the OEM filter? The want has to be for greater efficiency or longevity.

If the manufacturer cut use from 7.5 to 6, I wouldn't run it for 8+.
Oil and filters are cheap. Change the OEM accordingly, or change brands and try an aftermarket like Mobil-1, Fram TG or Wix.

It would be good to know if the filter manufacturer has changed the filter construction since Subaru changed its recommended OCI from 7,500 miles to 6,000 miles after 2103 or 2014, which was the result of Subaru dealing with oil consumption problems.

As a previous owner of a 2015 Outback 2.5i, personally I'd run a Fram Ultra for at least two 6,000 OCI's instead of the Subaru filter.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
It would be good to know if the filter manufacturer has changed the filter construction since Subaru changed its recommended OCI from 7,500 miles to 6,000 miles after 2103 or 2014, which was the result of Subaru dealing with oil consumption problems.

As a previous owner of a 2015 Outback 2.5i, personally I'd run a Fram Ultra for at least two 6,000 OCI's instead of the Subaru filter.

I don't like that the XG7317 does not have the proper bypass pressure but it is a very well build filter and hopefully the higher flow rate of the Ultra can make up for that.

I wouldn't run the OEM for more than 6k. It is essentially a blue [censored] with the proper bypass for a subaru.

My choice for more than 6k would be Fram ultra or Wix.

Originally Posted by Ignatius
Aside from the 23psi bypass spec the Subaru OEM filter is reported, per a Subaru FSM, to have a flow rate of 14.5 gallons per minute.

Did the FSM give any other info with that 14.5 gpm flow rate spec? The number doesn't mean much unless you know the oil viscosity and delta-p across the filter that corresponds to that flow rate.

Or it could be that's how much flow the new filter will do with the oil at some defined temperature (viscosity) when the delta-p is ready to start opening the 23 psi bypass valve. Without specific parameters defined, the 14.5 gpm flow spec could mean anyrhing.

I wonder why Subaru did this? Media collapsing, perhaps? Fram "suggest" it? It's one thing to reduce a vehicle's service interval -- and 'Roo's has done that before -- but I can't recall a manufacturer reducing the potential service life of a specific maintenance item. Unusual.

Originally Posted by Hounds
I wonder why Subaru did this? Media collapsing, perhaps? Fram "suggest" it? It's one thing to reduce a vehicle's service interval -- and 'Roo's has done that before -- but I can't recall a manufacturer reducing the potential service life of a specific maintenance item. Unusual.

Perhaps it does not have to do with the oil filter as much as it has to do with the fact that most frequently produced Subaru engines in recent years have switched over to a 0W-20 oil recommendation. I haven't read enough reports to know how many miles people are getting out of Fram Extra Guard filters but I would surmise that it would be similar longevity to Subaru OEM.

Unless you've got something that shows in official writing, I wholeheartedly doubt they said the filter can only go 6k. Old OCI on EJ engines was typically 7.5k on N/As and was shortened to 3,750 miles on all EJ255/257s because of the oil inlet screen on the turbo plugging, starving the turbo bearing of oil and resulting in failure.

FA/FB engines most likely went to 6k intervals because they now have timing chains vs. belts... nothing changed with the filter; it's simply an acknowledgement that excessively long OCIs on an engine with enough timing chain to stretch stem to stern on a ‘75 Coupe DeVille isn't the brightest thing for engine longevity. It's nothing new; Subaru always recommended 6k on the EZ36D which was chain-driven as well.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
personally I'd run a Fram Ultra for at least two 6,000 OCI's instead of the Subaru filter.

^ I ditto this ^

A premium synthetic filter with 12,000 miles on it is still better than the Extragaurd with 0-6000 miles on it

Originally Posted by jbutch

I wouldn't run the OEM for more than 6k. It is essentially a blue [censored] with the proper bypass for a subaru.

"Orange Can of Delight" is now CENSORED...... BWAH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
lol.gif
crackmeup2.gif
lol.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by jbutch

"Orange Can of Delight" is now CENSORED...... BWAH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
lol.gif
crackmeup2.gif
lol.gif
crackmeup2.gif

I just saw that, it's weird.

Why would it be censored?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back