New 2019 Ram 1500 oil changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Linked Image]

So when would you guys do the OCI's on a brand new turck? I think the book says 7,500 but that seems a bit much for me. What brand oil would you use? I currently use Magnatec 5w-30 in my old truck. I believe this new truck calles for 0w-20. Truck is 2019 Dodge Ram 1500 Classic Big Horn Quad Cab 4x4 5.7 HEMI..

Last edited:
I have no idea what they offer at the dealer. The Salesman told me while it was under warranty he would recommend having any Dodge dealer do it till warranty is up. He told me his preference was 5k miles. Should a guy just start with synthetic?

What is your driving routine? City or highway? How many miles a year do you expect to put on this truck? Is this a commuter truck or a working truck?

Should be 5W-20 for that engine. Check the oil filler cap.
I'm just breaking in my 2019 JGC Hemi. 1st oil change is this weekend at 1,500 miles.
Using PYB 5W-20 with an OEM Mopar oil filter.
I'll be on a 5,000 mile OCI. Probably going to stay with PYB for the future, good amount of moly, and just a good oil overall.

No guarantee, but 'a lot' of Dodge/Chrysler dealers use Pennzoil for oil changes, they have an agreement with FCA.

If you like Magantec, it would be a great choice for this rig. The 'clinging' properties of this oil will most likely minimize the 'tick' these Hemi's sometimes develop.

Not many miles to be honest. 5 days a week I only drive like 8 miles round trip to work. Its on a country road in middle of nowhere. Speed limit 40mph. I will drive the truck on vacation once or twice a year. Maybe a trip to town once a week 70 mile round trip. Defiantly under 12k a year id say easy.

Originally Posted by Honda2003
Not many miles to be honest. 5 days a week I only drive like 8 miles round trip to work. Its on a country road in middle of nowhere. Speed limit 40mph. I will drive the truck on vacation once or twice a year. Maybe a trip to town once a week 70 mile round trip. Defiantly under 12k a year id say easy.

Personally I would go with a 5000 mile interval.

Originally Posted by addyguy
No guarantee, but 'a lot' of Dodge/Chrysler dealers use Pennzoil for oil changes, they have an agreement with FCA.

If you like Magantec, it would be a great choice for this rig. The 'clinging' properties of this oil will most likely minimize the 'tick' these Hemi's sometimes develop.

I don't think I want Pennzoil in it for sure. That might be whats in it now from factory idk. Never been a fan of Pennzoil. To many horror story's from back in the day with gunk build up in engine rebuilds. I'm sure that's all changed now but idk.

How many quarts of oil, does that engine hold? Sounds like you will average around 8K-miles per year.
So you have two choices, once that 1st/shortened factory-fill is removed. I removed my factory-fill at 3K.

Being around 8K annually, you either need a strong oil, or change every six months at 4K. Keep records of all at-home OCIs. Many dealers now have online websites that keep track of your at-home records. My Elder Hyundai dealer does. My OCIs will be 5K and I'm going to buy name-brands regardless. I am not a proponent of purchased house/store brand name oils.

Stay with synthetic after 3K and with your short, 40MPH drives, a 4K OCI will lead that Ram to long, happy life. Just stick with a High Moly brand of oil, due to timing chain concerns these days. Someday the oil manufacturers will remedy this problem and include safeguards in almost any brand of oil.

If I were to pick one and priced similar to Magnatec, I would say t use Quaker State Durability in 5w20. Pretty good amount of Moly there. Judge the QSU after two OCIs.

I'd split the difference on the first oil change. Do the first at ~ 3,500 and the second at 7,500 and 7,500 there after. PP is an outstanding oil that is the factory fill on Dodges. Ed

I changed my 18 Hemi at 750 miles and again at 3,900. From here on out I'll do 5,000 with Pennzoil Ultra 5W-20 and Wix XP filters.

That oil filter location is not fun!

Last edited:
Local dealers could use anything they want for bulk oil changes. They go with what ever the local oil distributors sell. The only thing corporate FCA would care about is that what ever they use meets ms-6395 spec.
If you feel better about magnatec and it says ms-6395 on the bottle then use that. Keep the receipts and a log of your oil changes on the slim chance anything ever happens and there is a question for warranty work. The mopar.com website lets you keep a log of all service work and any work the dealer does gets uploaded to there also. Its also where you can order a real owners manual.

Pennzoil of today is nothing to do with pennzoil from back in the day. Its part of SOPUS (shell) now and very consistently good oil.
On my pentastar powered jeep I run the mopar oil filter which isn't any more expensive then aftermarket ones.
I changed the oil at 500, 1000, and now every 5000 miles.

The horror stories come from when virtually all motor oils used a group 1 base.
I've used Pennzoil not exclusively, but several times in my GTI which has 164K on it. I bought it new and and it still has the original turbo, timing chain and internals.

Technically, you should use an oil that meets the Chrysler MS-6395 spec.
Save the receipt(s), mark the date, mileage and VIN on the receipt and stuff the receipt(s) in a marked envelope stored in a safe, cool dry place.
That way if you have have an unfortunate issue requiring warranty work, you'll have proper records of the proper oil changes you performed.

All it takes is someone at Chrysler's think tank to make and strictly abide by a rule if a customer doesn't follow proper maintenance using the specified oil, warranty coverage will be denied.

That's a car-port there. Unusual flooring designs there too (both).
I did a double-take when I saw what I thought was inner wall siding & window. Then realized there's no roll-up door on the garage. No inner wall there.
I like playing Peeping Tom with BITOG photos offered here. My Eye-Scopings are my Real Personality. I see physical-in-entirety and sometimes trans-physical too. What room is that - that remains so much darkened 24/7?

Nice, beautiful truck BTW......

I have a friend who is a Hyundai master tech. He owns a 2011 Laramie 4x4 and a 2018 Rebel 4x4. Both of his trucks have the 5.7 Hemi. He has run Mobil 1 5W30 since day one in both. His reasoning is the Hemi tick. 7qt. With filter.

Last edited:
from the 2019 ram owners manual...
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The owners manual is almost 700 pages and they don't ship it with new cars anymore. You can get the pdf and order a hard copy for free from the mopar.com website.

Originally Posted by MParr
I have a friend who is a Hyundai master tech. He owns a 2011 Laramie 4x4 and a 2018 Rebel 4x4. Both of his trucks have the 5.7 Hemi. He has run Mobil 1 5W30 since day one in both. His reasoning is the Hemi tick.

Red Line supposedly sound-cures an existing tick/chatter in these Hemi's. If anyone reading this needs-to-know.
Also found out this week Royal Purple is great when regular OCI-cleaning is needed around valves / pistons (TGDIs). No engine teardown, but monitor closely for debris coming loose.
Go Red Line. Go Royal Purple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back