Incorrect oil installed - now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've discovered that our 2016 Sorento received the incorrect oil today when serviced by a local mechanic. The owner's manual recommends 5W-20, 5W-30 or 10W-30. The mechanic used Prime 10W-40 (and a filter I've never heard of). Our cars have always been dealer-maintained but the dealership is over an hour away so it's a bit inconvenient. I want to do the oil/filter changes myself now and have been researching that and in doing so found this forum.

We live in Florida so based on what I've learned so far I think the 5W-30 or 10W-30 may be the best for the climate here. But the main question at hand is whether I should replace the 10W-40 immediately or let it go for one or two thousand miles. Mileage is 44K which is roughly 9/10K per year.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

-------------------------------------
2016 Kia Sorento 2.4L - dealer maintained (until today)
2018 Kia Forte 2.0L - dealer maintained

You will be ok with what you got. But I would probably change it ahead of schedule. Especially with an off brand filter.

It's summer in florida, you should be fine, but what a dumb move by that guy. It isn't a di turbo? Do you know what brand he used? 40 weights have a large range, some are on the low visc and some are high.

Only because it's summer and Florida is boiling hot, I'd let the oil go 3-4K miles. It won't void your powertrain warranty. But if it's an el cheapo filter you never heard of, why not just change the filter now?

You're not in any immediate danger. How do you know for certain the wrong oil was used? Do you have written proof/documentation of that? Have you called the service manager about this yet?

In your shoes, I would request the service manager to correct the mistake and schedule a no-charge appointment. When they do the work, watch from an observation window if they have one.

Ray

I would bring it back and have him correct the oil change. I would also go to dealer and get correct filter or any filter you prefer from where you normally buy it and have him install it. Alot of people will tell you not to worry but you are under warranty and an engine that is known to have problems so I would definitely get it corrected.

I'd bring it back and have him install the recommended oil and use a quality filter, on his dime.

Originally Posted by Oil_Rookie
... The mechanic used Prime 10W-40 (and a filter I've never heard of). Our cars have always been dealer-maintained but the dealership is over an hour away so it's a bit inconvenient. I want to do the oil/filter changes myself now and have been researching that and in doing so found this forum.

I appears to be a Prime House brand made by made by TWINCO ROMAX/ZECOL.

I have never heard of either.

ZECOL 10W40

At best it is an API SL level oil. viscosity is stated as: Viscosity: 9,5-16 cSt @ 100 ËšC / 212 ËšF

Last edited:
The Twinco/Romax site touts their wide Zecol line of oil, degreasers, and additives in "eye catching" packaging. The company website basically appears to frame them as a company that produces bulk oil for the midWest, and every manner of gewgaws you can find at a truck stop, farm store, or supermarket/pharmacy "Automotive" aisle.

A very interesting company serving a broadly-scattered base.

Originally Posted by MolaKule
... The mechanic used Prime 10W-40 (and a filter I've never heard of). Our cars have always been dealer-maintained but the dealership is over an hour away so it's a bit inconvenient. I want to do the oil/filter changes myself now and have been researching that and in doing so found this forum.

ZECOL 10W40

At best it is an API SL level oil. viscosity is stated as: Viscosity: 9,5-16 cSt @ 100 ËšC / 212 ËšF

good find, that is harious in a tragic type of way. With that info I'd flush it and wouldn't use that oil or that mechanic again. That data sheet isn't even legal, that range goes from 30 to 40 or even right at 50 weight? Engines are pretty forgiving applications for oil weight, but with that oil you have no idea what it even is. Look at it this way, it was a nice flush and lesson learned. Nobody changes my oil but me.

Originally Posted by burla
Originally Posted by MolaKule

ZECOL 10W40

good find, that is harious in a tragic type of way. With that info I'd flush it and wouldn't use that oil or that mechanic again.

^

Originally Posted by Chris142
Who even stocks that weight oil? Cars and trucks have been using 5w30,5w20 for a couple of decades now.

His mechanic was thinking the same thing. Time to get rid of this old stuff to someone who may not notice.

While your vehicle is in no immediate danger, a 2016 vehicle is going to require API spec SN or later oil and he put an API SL oil in there, which means it is the wrong stuff.

If in that position, I would simply change it to a modern SN or SN+ oil at my earliest convenience. I would inform the mechanic that an API SL spec oil is not suitable for a modern vehicle, see what he says. You may get a free oil change to an oil of your choice, a refund, or simply a chance to find a new mechanic.

You can use Lubrizol's tool to compare API SL to SN capabilities. Drop down the API spec and alternately click SL and SN.
https://online.lubrizol.com/relperftool/pc.html

Originally Posted by HangFire
While your vehicle is in no immediate danger, a 2016 vehicle is going to require API spec SN or later oil and he put an API SL oil in there, which means it is the wrong stuff.

If in that position, I would simply change it to a modern SN or SN+ oil at my earliest convenience. I would inform the mechanic that an API SL spec oil is not suitable for a modern vehicle, see what he says. You may get a free oil change to an oil of your choice, a refund, or simply a chance to find a new mechanic.

You can use Lubrizol's tool to compare API SL to SN capabilities. Drop down the API spec and alternately click SL and SN.
https://online.lubrizol.com/relperftool/pc.html

the 2.4 can use SL oil per the manual. 10w-40 is not a listed viscosity, but in the summer in Florida, I doubt any harm would be done.

That said, I would still go back to the shop and ask for the correct oil to be put in since they screwed up.
If they refuse, report them to the local BBB and local online review sites.
Then run to Walmart and get some Supertech 10w-30 oil (synthetic or conventional) and a Supertech 9688 oil filter for <$20 and change it yourself.

Originally Posted by RayCJ
You're not in any immediate danger. How do you know for certain the wrong oil was used? Do you have written proof/documentation of that? Have you called the service manager about this yet?

In your shoes, I would request the service manager to correct the mistake and schedule a no-charge appointment. When they do the work, watch from an observation window if they have one.

Ray

The mechanic is an elderly, semi-retired follow that was recommended by the local NAPA dealer. He used to own the local Chevron when it was a full-service station. It turns out that's the only oil he carries. The filter is a Parts Master. When I checked that I found a small puddle of oil pretty much under the drain plug. It seems to be new oil so I'll be watching that. I'm leaning towards replacing the oil/filter and getting a new drain plug gasket (I'm learning...).

The mechanic works out of an old building on his property. He doesn't have room to stock the need oil and filters. So it's 10W-40 or nothing.

Lesson learned. This is totally my screw-up. I should have known what the vehicle requires and either brought it with me or stuck with the dealer (where I was assuming the right thing was done).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back