Wheel reconditioning recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted in different forums here about repairs to my recent purchase.

2008 Ford Ranger.

This fall it will get new tires. Until then, I want to remove one wheel at a time and clean up, repair, refinish these wheels. I have watched the acid videos and others.

I am asking the advice of those who have reconditioned wheels like these on how I should proceed.

Thanks.

7ED21E43-2555-4D9D-8104-E17A2D07E33F.jpeg

F2D45412-E31D-4A6A-A1A5-BE898C9B476A.jpeg

Last edited:
Sandblast, then polish if you want shiny, then primer if you want to paint for a color change, or clearcoat, or just constantly polish them if you're a glutton for punishment.

Even if you want a similar color, the longest lasting solution will be sandblast, no polishing smoother, etching primer, color coats, then clear coat.

Why one wheel at a time if you're getting new tires? I mean I am assuming you want to pull the tire off and clean up the bead area too, instead of just having the tire installer slop a lot of sealant on and hope for the best (long term).

Last edited:
I would search youtube and find a process that you like. Personally I would wait until after you get new tires. Tire shops love to scratch up shiny new wheels!

Originally Posted by 2010Civic
I would search youtube and find a process that you like. Personally I would wait until after you get new tires. Tire shops love to scratch up shiny new wheels!

If you can do it with the tires off, that is of course the best. It gives you the chance to clean up the bead area and insure against future slow leaks for that purpose.

Edit - oh, I now see Dave above said that. It's a not insignificant thing. If you have a 2nd vehicle to drive a little while, do that when it's time to swap tires.

As follow up to my original request, thanks to those who offered their experience with reconditioning to help me decide my process.

Made the move to complete this the last view days. Had the Goodyear tires dismounted and proceeded to strip the damaged clear coat off with aircraft remover and a pressure washer. Sanded with an orbital then by hand with various grits of sandpaper. Used rattle can products as follows. Primer/Sealer. Four coats of Ford charcoal silver metallic then four of clear-coat. After overnight drying, new tires were mounted.
mg]https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...a0567b1_2a09_4f6e_832b_4f900ad1be5e.jpeg[/img]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back