Air Filter Options for 4.0L V6 Toyota

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
Looking to replace the air filter on my 2005 Tacoma with 4.0L V6 (1GR-FE engine). I usually go with OEM, but wondering if anyone has found a good aftermarket filter (like AC Delco, WIX, etc) that fits and filters well. One concern is that it must fit well like the OEM filter. The Toyota dealers want about $28 for the OEM filters.

Fram air filter from Walmart should be half the cost of oem and fit better. Since it has a rubber gasket unlike oem. Go to Fram.com for the model number then shop Walmart.com since it's usually a few bucks cheaper ordering online versus buying if off the shelf.

edit: Looks like $17

Fram

Fram Ultra Air $21 - 2 year filter

Last edited:
Have you looked on ebay or amazon? You might find an OEM for a price you are ok with; you might find it in a tune-up kit.

I did a quick look and saw a bunch of filters but not sure what would fit well.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/toyota,2005,tacoma,4.0l+v6,1431544,fuel+&+air,air+filter,6192

Originally Posted by atikovi
I'd get Denso for under $10 at Rock.

That is what I put in our 4Runner. The fit was just like OEM and much cheaper. I also ordered a few of the Denso cartridge oil filters too.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver

The Fram Ultra air filter might be worth trying - strange that it's only sold at Walmart, no biggie. Either that, or the AC Delco or WIX.

Anyone here try the Fram Ultra air filter in any of their vehicles?

Lots of good suggestion guys - thanks.

Fram air filter works pretty well in Land Cruisers here. I replaced it every year as we have obligatory wildfires each season. Denso looks identical, but made in China. Toyota is made in Japan and is of the highest quality, but I have no equipment to compare them in actual use.

I've been using an AFE washable filter for a couple of years now and it seems to be doing a good job.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

The Fram Ultra air filter might be worth trying - strange that it's only sold at Walmart, no biggie. Either that, or the AC Delco or WIX.

Anyone here try the Fram Ultra air filter in any of their vehicles?

Lots of good suggestion guys - thanks.

That lightly impregnated Fram Ultra filter looks to be the bomb. I'd give that a shot.

Yes. Yours and other suggs here are good.

Be careful keeping the dirt out of the air filter box while changing. That's all, folks!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Looking to replace the air filter on my 2005 Tacoma with 4.0L V6 (1GR-FE engine). I usually go with OEM, but wondering if anyone has found a good aftermarket filter (like AC Delco, WIX, etc) that fits and filters well. One concern is that it must fit well like the OEM filter. The Toyota dealers want about $28 for the OEM filters.

I use this filter (different size) in my 2013 Land Cruiser with great results: Airaid Dual Filter

It's basically an OEM style synthetic filter with a coarse non-woven synthetic pre-filter which extends the life of the paper media. At $31 it's a couple bucks more than OEM, but at least in my case, lasts longer than OEM (based on restriction gauge).

HTH

I emailed Fram and asked them what the ISO 5011 efficiency was on their Ultra air filter - specifically the XGA9683 for my V6 Tacoma.

I asked:
"Does Fram have an ISO 5011 efficiency rating for the Ultra air filter, specifically XGA9683. If so, was the fine or coarse dust used in the ISO 5011 test?"

Here's Fram's response: "The XGA9683 was tested per ISO 5011 Section 6.4, with a requirement of > 97.0%, actual testing result of 98.50%. The contaminant used for testing was ISO 12103-A2 - Fine Dust."

Seems like a pretty good efficiency for the fine dust test. I read that some air filter makers will use the course dust in the ISO 5011 test in order to make the filter come out with a higher efficiency rating.

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
You can't do any better than the OEM air filter. Oil filter too.

What's the ISO 5011 rating of the Toyota OEM air filter?

Fram air filter from Walmart should be half the cost of oem and fit better. Since it has a rubber gasket unlike oem. Go to Fram.com for the model number then shop Walmart.com since it's usually a few bucks cheaper ordering online versus buying if off the shelf.

edit: Looks like $17

Fram

Prices for Toyota SIenna:
OE: $21 at dealer
FRAM Tough Guard: $21 (Wal mart)
FRAM Ultra: $24 (Wal mart).
Wix: $9 as far as I remember on Rock Auto (I got that one last time).

Last edited:
I usually go with ACDelco air filters for all my cars and for friends/fam. They are well built and filter as well as anything else, and are usually at or below the price of others (Amazon nearly always has the best price).

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
You can't do any better than the OEM air filter. Oil filter too.

You in restriction again ??

lol.gif

That is just really wild... I would just let it go. Not a big deal really..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back