Favorite American Made Muscle Car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone say GTO?

5A4DC2E1-0F65-4267-9A72-968123A1281E.jpeg

All the muscle cars are cool. They can't turn worth a darn and I would never own one, but they are awesome for what they do...straight line acceleration.

I remember when I took my son to a street wheeler cruise and a 3rd gen Hemi Cuda caught my sons eye. He asked me about it and I told him that those ground pounder muscle cars eat pavement for breakfast, he said "eat pavement yeah right". About 30 mins later that same 'Cuda stopped across the street and did a burn out and then took off. First thing my son said was "lets go look at the skid marks". So we went over and not only were there skid marks, but two dents dug into the pavement where the tires had taken a bite. My son just sat there with his mouth open in amazement.

My favorite American sports car is still the Corvette Stingray 1967 and the latest C7.

[Linked Image]

Or

[Linked Image]

Please know that modern cars are much much faster and these old dinosaur turds are slow heavy and stupid compared to. Somewhat ugly too.

My sister is way older than me and she married a guy a fair amount older (who is gone now) - he had a big Mopar dealership ... Hemi, 440's, 383's ... but two of the most fun cars he brought home were the AAR and the TA … mean little small blocks ...

GT 500KR...the 1968 original. Power and beauty.

AMC AMX '68-70 is up there, but a very distant second. I remember looking at one with Mom and Dad, wound up w/ a leftover '69 Buick California GS.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Very first American muscle car,the 1949 Oldsmobile 88.

Why? Because it had a V8? Buick had OHV straight 8's that were pretty potent for their day.

The story goes that the GTO was the first muscle car. Intermediate with a near 400 cubic inch engine (389ci) option.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Very first American muscle car,the 1949 Oldsmobile 88.

Why? Because it had a V8? Buick had OHV straight 8's that were pretty potent for their day.

The story goes that the GTO was the first muscle car. Intermediate with a near 400 cubic inch engine (389ci) option.

Just what I keep reading all over the place. I have no opinion on this,as I'm an import guy.

https://www.pomonaswapmeet.com/blog/2014/04/11/was-the-1949-oldmobile-88-americas-first-muscle-car/

Originally Posted by cjcride
There are many great US muscle cars yet the AC Cobra and Pontiac GTO would be my picks.

Yet the AC Cobra isn't a American car.

Incorrect.

The Cobra was raced and credited as an American product. Sure, it was based on the Bristol AC early on. But that's where it ended. Shelby not only did power-train mods, but also suspension, brakes, etc.

Try telling Shelby, Bondurant, Miles, Yates and others that they didn't work for Shelby American.
Try explaining why Enzo cancelled the last race of the season in Monza, so that the Cobra would not win the 1964 championship for the Americans.
Try recalling that in 1965 the American team won the only FIA championship for the US, handily spanking the Ferrari team by a w-i-d-e- points margin.

Time for a history lesson. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqMNR7Qe82g

Last edited:
The muscle car was born in 1964 when DeLorean stuffed the 389 in the Tempest A body and named it after a Ferrari.
Against corporation standards...
Everybody played catch up after that.

There are many great US muscle cars yet the AC Cobra and Pontiac GTO would be my picks.

American engine and transmission yet you are right. British roots

American engine and transmission yet you are right. British roots

Update: just noticed dnewton3 post.

If I had 1 pick it's the AC Cobra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back