KYB Strut Plus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had them for my Odyssey for a couple of months. The ride is a little firmer than original and as a result improves the handling slightly.

However, due to some manufacturing defects both the front struts keep making some clunking noise to the point where I can't stand it anymore.

I have since moved to Monroe and the noise is gone.

I've been satisfied with the KYB Excel struts replaced front and rear on my Infiniti, though I did not replace the springs. The old shocks were at 100K miles so the improved ride is nice. I got mine on a holiday sale from www.oscaroparts.com and it easily beat the Rockauto price.

Originally Posted by newbe46
I had them for my Odyssey for a couple of months. The ride is a little firmer than original and as a result improves the handling slightly.

However, due to some manufacturing defects both the front struts keep making some clunking noise to the point where I can't stand it anymore.

So u went with Monroe quick-struts? Was the handling OK?

I have had the Monroe Quick Struts on the Front & OE Spec shocks on the rear of a Mazda3 and they DO NOT LAST more than about 2-3 yrs. I haven't tried the KYB. However, in the case of your Toyota, I'd stay with Toyota parts. They're just better.

I had Monores on the Regal GS they worked fine.

I have not used the KYB quick struts, but I have KYBs on the truck and they have work really well.

I got some Sensen quick struts for my Outback that seem to be fairly well constructed, but obviously time will tell. They are being installed tomorrow and then I'm hitting the road for the weekend. Should have some good comparisons by early next week; AFAIK the car still has the original struts all 4 corners from 2005! Monroes were about 70% more expensive than the Sensens, got all 4 from Amazon for about $420. Might be a smart purchase, might not.
28.gif

Ive always considered the KYB a premium brand over the Monroes. All KYB completes have been fine, but Ive warrantied a ton of the Monroes under their lifetime warranty. My receptionist's civic has needed 2 r/f replacements and one l/f AFTER the initial replacement with monroe.

Originally Posted by Patrick0525
Originally Posted by newbe46

So u went with Monroe quick-struts? Was the handling OK?

Monroe has the closest ride quality and handling to the original. If I have to compare Monroe with KYB I actually prefer the KYB but the noise was just killing me.

Yeah, I'd have to agree that when the Monroe were installed, the ride quality was quite good. They just didn't last the test of time, as mentioned, 2-3 yrs. Where as, when I installed Monroe's years ago, they lasted forever. I have a set of 4 in the the Firebird in my signature that I installed in 1988. And another set of 4 in an old Accord that went on for 10 yrs till I sold the car.

I have used KYB complete struts on my Mazda3 for the front. Struts hold well so far, but there was an issue right after the installation, which took me quick a while to figure it out when I was looking at something else. The issue was that when I do a left turn slowly, and due to road surface imperfections, I'd hear a clip. I always thought that was from either brake or endlink. But it turned out to be "spring slap". do to suspension travel, bottom two rings of spring will touch. As a result the paint chipped away from the spring. So my reading is that the KYB complete strut spring is not as good. I still have the OE spring, and will use that when the strut gives up.

I do not have a good report on the rear (mazda) shock from KYB, had the pair on for 3+ years, ~35K miles, and one leaked recently.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
I have had the Monroe Quick Struts on the Front & OE Spec shocks on the rear of a Mazda3 and they DO NOT LAST more than about 2-3 yrs. I haven't tried the KYB. However, in the case of your Toyota, I'd stay with Toyota parts. They're just better.

Scotty would agree!
thumbsup2.gif

Quick struts are awesome
smile.gif

KYB is the largest shock manufacturer and is the OE supplier to most Japanese cars, including your Venza

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Originally Posted by Char Baby

Scotty would agree!
thumbsup2.gif

Scotty who?

Yes, KYB is (unless something has changed lately) the OE manufacturer. Use them with confidence.

I doubt it's a manufacturing defect, more likely an installation error. This is a not uncommon complaint with all replacement struts - the upper mount bearings making noise most of the cases and maybe here. I hear of it more often with Monroe vs. KYB, actually. In general, my experiences mirror the above. Monroe's feel good, but then wear out quickly. KYBs feel a little stiffer, often much appreciated, but then settle in and give a nice long life.

I installed KYB Strut Plus on my Trailblazer last year and they now have 5,000 miles. Ride seems close to factory and I am happy with them thus far.

Only OEM when it comes to struts - have used KYBs and had to redo it and replace it with OEM.
KYBs once used to be good but no longer (atleast the ones sold by Tirerack and their return policy is bogus)

Originally Posted by Oro_O
Yes, KYB is (unless something has changed lately) the OE manufacturer. Use them with confidence.

I doubt it's a manufacturing defect, more likely an installation error. This is a not uncommon complaint with all replacement struts - the upper mount bearings making noise most of the cases and maybe here. I hear of it more often with Monroe vs. KYB, actually. In general, my experiences mirror the above. Monroe's feel good, but then wear out quickly. KYBs feel a little stiffer, often much appreciated, but then settle in and give a nice long life.

Could be an assembly defect. On mine the strut nuts weren't quite tight enough, so there was some clunking which took me a while to figure out. Also for my Focus atleast, the front spring rate was a bit softer than the original springs and rode maybe 1/2" higher. After 20k km damping rate is now pretty much normal, though it started a bit stiffer and I think the ride height has decreased a bit.
I dunno, I expected this kind of stuff from Monroe which is why I've always gone with KYB, but they haven't really impressed me this time.

Originally Posted by Oro_O

If it wasn't the clunking noise I personally prefer the slightly firmer ride for the KYB. I had the shop that installed the shocks looked at it twice and they couldn't find out how the noise was produced or they were not concerned at all. Whether or not it was an installation error I have no way to find out. They were willing to take them back and charge me only the costs of the Monroe so all was fine.

To be fair, I forgot to mention my Subaru has the KYB strut assembly and there was no issues at all. For the purpose of a beater, it has the best handling overall considering it was not a performance oriented vehicle in the first place. I guess it's a hit or miss.

I just installed KYB strut spring plus on the rear of my Taurus, On a couple of Ford Forums they seem to be the favored brand, not so much Monroe. I like them so much I am going to do the fronts this summer. Current MotorCraft originals have 146,000 miles and I think I have lost a little ride height.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back