Lee Iacocca has passed. RIP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Extremely sad news
frown.gif

Originally Posted by 4WD
Man of the Mustang - God speed

And it was his idea for the 'drop-in' gas tank in the Mustang where the gas tank was installed through the trunk. In a bad rear end collision it would slosh gasoline all over driver and passengers. Usually burning gasoline.

Who gets credit for the old Ford F100 gas tank behind the drivers seat ?

Huge loss for the auto industry in general.
My dads favourite car in the world was a 1967 Mustang. I got my license on a 1985 K-car.
Many of us will have similar stories.
RIP to a legend in the industry!

Originally Posted by 4WD
Who gets credit for the old Ford F100 gas tank behind the drivers seat ?

Probably the same fool who put it there in Chevy C10s. That's where it was in my '72.

RIP Mr Iacocca, you were a heck of a car dreamer and salesman. Just think of the cars we got the pleasure of driving directly because of him.

RIP Mr. Iacocca. You are one of my personal heroes, and an icon in the auto industry. I can't think of another person that pulled off what you did. You will be missed.
If you haven't read his book "Where Have All the Leaders Gone?", you should. As timeless now as it was in 07 when published.

Sad news. I've owned a few Mustangs and have him to thank for them existing. I'll be ripping a couple 7500 RPM pulls in his honor today.

One of the few great Automotive legends.

I had one of his Mustang II..It had a luxury interior - like a little T-Bird Elite or Lincoln..

The II was a great handling car with a great suspension and well made -- unlike the fox platform strut garbage that followed.
Ratchet up the 4.9 V8 a bit and it went as good as anything..

Later, my buddy Paul, who never finished College, started as a sales person in Lawrence, Ma. around the time the Minivan came out and he was making 3x my salary as an Engineer within a couple months of starting this new sales job.
He told me all he had to do was sit there and take orders from customerswho were lined up out the door! Insane good luck for him
-- and Lee Iacocca at Chrysler..

Iacocca's Olivia was a decent margarine too. But its back to butter for me.

Oddly, I thought lee had passed a long time ago. I recall a foray into electric bicycles more than a decade ago.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Everything he did for Chrysler walked out the door with him when he left!

Yep. It was a real shame how that company went downhill after he left. They were riding the minivan coattails. Eventually all good thing come to a end.

He was a true car guy, which is what the auto industry needs to be successful.

He rose through the ranks as an engineer, not a bean counter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back