Asian Pink Coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
I need to change the coolant in my Toyota Tacoma soon. The Toyota dealer only sells the "super long life" pink coolant in a 50/50 mix, and the local parts stores seem to only carry the Asian pink coolant formula in the the 50/50 pre-mix form.

Seems like nobody sells full concentrated OEM coolant formulas any more ... guess they found another way to rip-off people by charging the same price for the 50/50 pre-mix that they use to charge for the fully concentrated coolant.

Anyone know where it might be possible to buy the long life Asian pink coolant in fully concentrated form so I can mix it myself with distilled water?

Originally Posted by Warstud
Pentofrost from Autozone

So I just called my local Autozone, and they said that they, nor any other Autozones in my area, have any Pentofrost on the self. So I asked if they could order it and they said it's no longer available from the vendor. Not sure if that just means Autozone is no longer selling it, or if Pentofrost is discontinuing the product.

They said they have Peak brand in 50/50 pre-mix and it also comes in full concentrate (1 gal jug), so i asked if they could order the full concentrated jug and it was the same answer that it was no longer available from the vendor. Strange ... didn't know trying to buy coolant could be so convoluted.
eek.gif

I think I'll just go get a couple jugs of Zerex pink 50/50 pre-mix at Walmart for $12.97 for a 1 gallon jug.

Pentofrost A4 is not concentrate; it's the same 50/50 mix anyway. The A1 is concentrate, but that is the older red, not pink.

Recochem has the pink as concentrate, and it's not that expensive at Pep Boys:

https://www.pepboys.com/oem-antifre...s-scion-with-pink-coolant/product/879899

I think I recall you mentioning where you live in the past; there is a Pep Boys at Totem Lake on 85th, though it doesn't have a big supply and you may have to have it shipped to the store there.

Amazon can deliver it, but at much more deniro.

Oriley's commonly has Pentofrost, Napa also. If Napa does not have in stock, they will order it for you.

I don't own Toyota's, so I don't know anything about A1, or A4, but as user/Member Oro_O , said, A4 is 50/50%, A1 is 100%, most likely A1 is Chemically the same as A4 just different color. Most likely they are both the same Chemically as, A2 green 100%, and A3 blue 50% also.

If you would use A1 Red 100%, go read Pentofrost's website, I think they state that all four, A-1,2,3,4, are all Chemically the same.

Originally Posted by Chris142
One of our suppliers has the Valvoline Asian pink 50/50 for $8.95 a gallon. I bought 4 gallons for our Toyota. I don't think you can get it in concentrate.

Recochem has it in concentrate. Not common and may be the only retail source, but it's linked above. I'm with Zee0Six on this; I like concentrate so I can mix it 60/40, or at least make a true 50/50 mixture to allow for water in the heater and hoses if I flush.

most likely A1 is Chemically the same as A4 just different color.

No, they are a different, though related, chemistry. The "red" is a long life coolant, and the newer (~2004-current) pink is a modification of that OAT chemistry and a "super" long-life fill. Mixing the two can be done, but it negates the longevity gained by the pink fluid.

Pep Boys had it in OEM (Recochem), that's what I'm using in the xB-I personally would just drain & refill, not flush, stuff seems to last forever (unless there's a problem).

….Seems like nobody sells full concentrated OEM coolant formulas any more …..
At least when it comes to Asian Phoat AF's this is true. The one exception already mentioned several times is "OEM brand" AF that has been sold by PBs in the past. That said, it is becoming more scarce, difficult to find at PB.

If one is doing a simple radiator d&f, the WalMart Zerex/Valvoline, ZAF (sold at AP stores) twins likely the most readily available lowest cost options, if OEM brand can't be found.

+1 on the Recochem from Pep Boys........I like the fact that I can make a 60/40 mix with the concentrate. Side note: I'm very surprised that your local Toyota dealers service department doesn't stock the Red.........strange
confused.gif

The old Toyota Red LL AF comes as a concentrate, however it's recommended service interval is 2years/~30k miles, as opposed to the SLL pink 5/50k on subsequent fill. Toyota says pink is backward compatible with red and last I checked the latter had become pricey. I can imagine some dealers not bothering to stock it.

Showing that OEM brand at PB becoming scarce, the link to it won't let me add it to cart for closest store. Ime, have to find a store that has it in stock before being able to add.

There was also Toyota FIPG confusion for some vehicles: the pink may leak (a little though) through water pumps using the older, cheaper FIPG that worked well with the red coolant. Make sure you do your research well, if you want to lose no sleep over this one. Not all mechanics even know this: there is this $14 tube and a $44 tube Toyota FIPG for the water pumps.

Originally Posted by Y_K
There was also Toyota FIPG confusion for some vehicles: the pink may leak (a little though) through water pumps using the older, cheaper FIPG that worked well with the red coolant. Make sure you do your research well, if you want to lose no sleep over this one. Not all mechanics even know this: there is this $14 tube and a $44 tube Toyota FIPG for the water pumps.

"FIPG" ... what's that stand for?

The Toyota dealers here want $26 for a gallon of of the Toyota pink SLL (Super Long Life) coolant, which as mentioned by Sayjac only comes in a 50/50 pre-mix. I need 2 gallons, so I'm going with the Zerex at $13 a gallon, half the price of the Toyota. I can't see spending $50 for 2 gallons of 50/50 colant.

FIPG is Toyota's acronym for Form In Place Gasket, otherwise known as sealant. A very good one by the way, as is Honda's Ultra Flange II.

I was reading his comments about contact with coolant and I don't think there is any location on either one of my Toyota cars where coolant contacts the FIPG. All are gaskets.

Toyota doesn't sell it in concentrate anymore in Canada either.

I see no problem paying the money for the OEM dealership supplied mix version for my sons (mine former) Corolla. You drain out the radiator every 3+ years, put pre-mix in, go for another 3+ years. I wouldn't quibble about it costing a few more dollars than the aftermarket stuff at all. You don't have to wonder what you are getting or if its compatible. When it comes time for the Civic, I'll go right to the dealership as well without a second thought.

Anyone here pays 50x (or more) that on the cost of fuel over the course of the coolant life yet no one bats an eye. I don't get trying to save a few dollars on something so vital.

Originally Posted by Smokescreen
I see no problem paying the money for the OEM dealership supplied mix version for my sons (mine former) Corolla. You drain out the radiator every 3+ years, put pre-mix in, go for another 3+ years. I wouldn't quibble about it costing a few more dollars than the aftermarket stuff at all. You don't have to wonder what you are getting or if its compatible. When it comes time for the Civic, I'll go right to the dealership as well without a second thought.

I hear you, but the Zerex is rated at the same change interval as the Toyota coolant ... so probably just as good of a formulation. I'm sure Zerex knows what they are doing, and at half the price it's worth using IMO. Seems Toyota parts are increasing in price more than most aftermarket equivalents.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
I'm sure Zerex knows what they are doing, and at half the price it's worth using IMO. Seems Toyota parts are increasing in price more than most aftermarket equivalents.

I don't know if you mean online in general, or at local dealerships. The local ones I have sampled in the Seattle area run about 25 to 35% more than elsewhere in the country. I priced a thermostat +gasket for a Lexus at the local Toyota dealership ($50), Lexus dealership ($60), exact item at Napa ($32) (same OEM), and a toyota dealership in Florida ($30). This is one example, but the same I experience routinely.

^^^ I meant at my local Toyota dealerships. Guess I'll have to shop on-line for OEM Toyota parts when the need arises instead of hitting the dealership.

I see that Napa has the Zerex Asian red/pink coolant (1 gallon 50/50 mix) on sale this month for $10.99 ... cheaper than Wamart's $13.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
^^^ I meant at my local Toyota dealerships. Guess I'll have to shop on-line for OEM Toyota parts when the need arises instead of hitting the dealership.

I see that Napa has the Zerex Asian red/pink coolant (1 gallon 50/50 mix) on sale this month for $10.99 ... cheaper than Wamart's $13.

Yeah the local shops are horrible. These prices were from Lexus of Bellevue, Toyota of Bellevue, Napa in North Bend, FL Toyota dealership I can't recall. Same thing held true across the board every time I need parts. Another example - a few years ago I needed a Cam sprocket for a 1mz-fe V6. Obscene, Hideous, and offensive, and I tried every dealer from Tacoma to Everett. Note, the Bremerton dealer was fair, but didn't have it in stock and would order but take a while. I think I was looking at around $300 from Eastside dealerships, but as low as $60 from mail order. I needed it asap so I said "forget them" and welded up the worn one and re-drilled the timing hole on a drill press. Cost - $0 and an hour of my time, but $300 in my pocket vs. local dealers. working fine five years later.

Yeah, never call a Puget Sound Toyota or Lexus Dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back