Stay away from 0W16 & 0W20 in one mechanic's opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I listen to the magic mechanic show and he is always talking about how the new thinner oils cause tremendous wear on engines. He says it's not the manufacturer's fault. That engine will get like 4 to 10 miles extra out of tank of gas. using thinner oil . So car companies are being forced to tell people to use these super-thin oils that cant takes the heat and if you live in a very hot area it's even worse.

He says 0W30 is perfect...

He also says if you use the 0w16 your engine will be worn out at 100K miles. Compared if you used 0W30 or 5W30 and get 300K or even 400k and yes he likes Amsoil. He is dead set against 0w20 and this new 0w16 is just crazy according to the magic mechanic

So what do you all think about this?

Last edited by a moderator:
35.gif
This should be great. Subscribed.

As for ultra thin oils resulting in rapid wear, that's just not true with a properly designed engine.

A well cared for engine will often outlast the vehicle it's in. It's also good to remember that the "severe" service schedule is often a good choice for unknown engine designs. GM, Ford, Hyundia/Kia and others have had timing and balancer chain wear issues related to thin oils and extended drain intervals. Why take the chance?

It's interesting to note that Ford's 2.3 Ecoboost engine is rated for 5W-30 in all vehicles, but 15W-50 in marine use. Same exact engine. Different operating environment.

Quite a few Prius engines are consuming oil at fairly early miles, even with the use of quality synthetic oils. The low tension piston rings are not tolerant of much wear before ring seal is compromised. Some testing shows that cylinder and ring wear increases somewhat with very thin oils. Some owners that get very high miles without oil consumption, change frequently and use robust oils.

I still can't find all these broken down cars that ran 0w20/5w20 their whole lives.

If you're driving your car at say a track, yeah throw a heavier oil in. But for normal street driving it seems most people are afraid to rev their engines past 3,500rpm.

Last edited:
Trolling.gif

Pages and pages of opinion and cited studies on the 0W20 topic littered throughout Bitog's streets. Like a garbage truck leaking trash juice.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by David1

He says 0W30 is perfect...

Fact: Whatever was popular with your crowd when you were growing up remains optimum forever. This is true of music, movies, hairstyles, oil weights, etc.

If he was 20 years older he'd be telling us to stay away from that watery 0w30 and stick with tried-and-true 10w40 or straight 20 in winter and 40 in summer.

I used to hear this a lot, now not so much...that thinner oils wear out your engine quicker. I still don't know how I fell about it, I guess there are some things I worry about long term...low tension rings, direct injection, timing chains, turbos, smaller engines. But that's what you get with modern engines. I think if you keep your oil change intervals between 5-6k and don't beat on your car/truck, you should be ok - you'll probably experience oil consumption - but that seems to be the norm in a lot of newer engines today.

evidence, needed, not opinions. Do wish we had access to some long term controlled studies to settle the debates, well then I guess we would question the design of the studies/

I used the recommended 0-20 in my 2015 CX5. I traded it in with 106K miles on it, and the engine was fine and used little to no oil in the 7500mi intervals. n=1, here, but I have no reservations about it in the future.

Originally Posted by David1
I listen to the magic mechanic show and he is always talking about how the new thinner oils cause tremendous wear on engines.

First off, I wouldn't have much confidence in anyone that calls themselves the "magic mechanic," and second, plenty of first generation Honda Insight owners that have used 0W20 since 2000 have engines with 300,000 and 400,000 miles without any problems.

First thought, wemay's posted smiley for the topic/title and commentary. Second thought, the old "opinions" adage appropriate the "magic" man.

There's no Redemption for non 5w30 users that choose to go thinner. All will witness Hades when they die.
If you want proof, then just stop breathing.

It's tough to know who to listen to.

On one hand, we have the "magic" mechanic who hosts a small-time radio show in Florida. On the other, we have professional engineers who went spent years studying engineering, got degrees, and have spent years working for a major auto manufacturer designing engines that have been put into millions of vehicles.

No.......evidence from the Magician or just a theory? Seems like there are plenty of cases that show his ideas go up in smoke (see what I did there?)

I only have an N+1 also. My wifes sister has a 2007 or 2008 Honda Accord. Nothing but 0W-20, in Florida, with 268K on the clock (that was last Fall.) Still running, no issues.

POOF!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back